• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Former TCU football assistant kept move to Memphis quiet

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Former TCU football assistant kept move to Memphis quiet

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Justin Fuente's departure from TCU to Memphis happened quickly and quietly.

After interviewing for the job in New York earlier this week, Fuente was selected the new head coach at Memphis on Thursday. He served as the Horned Frogs' co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach the past three seasons.

Fuente was at TCU's practice Wednesday afternoon, a few hours before the news broke, but didn't tell his players for fear of harpooning the deal. A similar situation involving SMU coach June Jones played out a day before with an ugly ending. Word leaked that Arizona State was about to hire Jones before the deal was finalized, and, eventually, Jones stayed at SMU.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/12/09/3584451/former-tcu-football-assistant.html#ixzz1g8Xzvswo

Nick Danger

I think this is a part of TCU's long-term strategy to ensure continued success. Fuente is merely being sent on a 4-5 year "head coaching" internship and will be brought back to take over for LHCGP when he retires. :biggrin:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I think this is a part of TCU's long-term strategy to ensure continued success. Fuentes is meerly being sent on a 4-5 year "head coaching" internship and will be brought back to take over for LHCGP when he retires. :biggrin:

Uh, I certainly hope GP is going to be here more than 4-5 years.

FROGDADDY

I think this is a part of TCU's long-term strategy to ensure continued success. Fuentes is meerly being sent on a 4-5 year "head coaching" internship and will be brought back to take over for LHCGP when he retires. :biggrin:

First off, GOOD LORD it's "Fuente". No freaking S at the end. What is wrong with you people?!?!?!? Secondly, I think GP is quietly very proud of this hire. One of the biggest validations of a guy as a coach is when his assistants start branching out as coordinators and HC's. Also is greatly beneficial to us when it comes time to hire our next head coach. Other than that the biggest things I took from the article are that no assistants will be leaving with him and that GP thinks JJ turned down ASU and not the other way around. GP says some odd things.

FROGDADDY

Not even quietly. His quote in the article shows he is happy for JF.

I'm certain he's happy for JF, my point was that I also think he's happy for himself. Much easier to recruit new coaches when they think TCU is a place that can advance their careers. I think AD making it in the NFL is a similar situation. I'd be willing to bet that played a HUGE role in getting Matthews to commit.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I'm certain he's happy for JF, my point was that I also think he's happy for himself. Much easier to recruit new coaches when they think TCU is a place that can advance their careers. I think AD making it in the NFL is a similar situation. I'd be willing to bet that played a HUGE role in getting Matthews to commit.

Agree. GP is starting to develop his own coaching tree.

Frostie

First off, GOOD LORD it's "Fuente". No freaking S at the end. What is wrong with you people?!?!?!? Secondly, I think GP is quietly very proud of this hire. One of the biggest validations of a guy as a coach is when his assistants start branching out as coordinators and HC's. Also is greatly beneficial to us when it comes time to hire our next head coach. Other than that the biggest things I took from the article are that no assistants will be leaving with him and that GP thinks JJ turned down ASU and not the other way around. GP says some odd things.

After Kansas State screwed up their dream hire by speaking to soon a couple of years ago, GP probably told his assistants if you ever go after a HC job keep it quiet until the ink is dry..................Hey, I'm just saying...

BABYFACE

I am in the camp that GP was not interested in the KST job. That was writer over Powecats(rivals) running with that rumor, IMO. I still believe it was BS. However Frostie, if we are playing the just saying line, I think GP to Arky had more legs to it until Petrino became available. Thank you Jerry Jones.

Frostie

I am in the camp that GP was not interested in the KST job. That was writer over Powecats(rivals) running with that rumor, IMO. I still believe it was BS. However Frostie, if we are playing the just saying line, I think GP to Arky had more legs to it until Petrino became available. Thank you Jerry Jones

I don't believe there was anything there either, it was meant as sarcasm, sorry apparently
I failed.

SarcasmMeter.jpg

"The problem with the internet is you don't know what is true and what is not true" - Abraham Lincoln