• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Defensive ends fight back, dominate offense

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Defensive ends fight back, dominate offense

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

It lasted for a mere moment, but had to leave TCU coaches salivating.

For a few plays at practice Monday, defensive ends Braylon Broughton and Stansly Maponga brought the hurt. Midway through the Horned Frogs' fourth practice, Maponga and Broughton gave a brief taste of what offenses will have to deal with in 2011.

Maponga closed quickly from the left corner. Broughton closed in from the right. In a just a few plays each had registered a sack.

"Saturday the offense embarrassed the defense," TCU coach Gary Patterson said. "Today we fought back." ...

Cougar/Frog

I am starting to get excited about the D-line -- maybe it will be back to the 2008 level and be death to o-lines everywhere.

Army Frog Fan

"Saturday the offense embarrassed the defense," TCU coach Gary Patterson said. "Today we fought back." ...

WhatUpWithThat_5.gif

SnoSki

If Broughton can bring pain that is equivalent to the body size he has then our defense will be in great shape. BB should be the perfect bull-rush type of DE.. he and Maponga could make life very difficult for RG3 and Simple Jack.

SnoSki

Stefan Stevenson (@followthefrogs) tweets a couple times during each practice. I'd strongly suggest anyone on there follow him.

He tweeted yesterday that Pachall and Dawson connected on another long pass yesterday. Why do I get a feeling that Dawson will be the perfect guy to dump a pass in the flats to while the other 2 guys in that direction run deep to pull the corners/safeties out? Surely he has the speed to beat an OLB for at least 6-8 yards.

Horny 4 Life

Stefan Stevenson (@followthefrogs) tweets a couple times during each practice. I'd strongly suggest anyone on there follow him.

He tweeted yesterday that Pachall and Dawson connected on another long pass yesterday. Why do I get a feeling that Dawson will be the perfect guy to dump a pass in the flats to while the other 2 guys in that direction run deep to pull the corners/safeties out? Surely he has the speed to beat an OLB for at least 6-8 yards.

I think we'll see more of Dawson on the Jet Sweep this year and hopefully Fuenderson will be calling some Jet Sweep screens like you just described. In the past though, Dawson has been the guy running off the CB/S, so I don't know if we'll see that change. I'd like to see if played out once a game though.

McFroggin

If Broughton can bring pain that is equivalent to the body size he has then our defense will be in great shape. BB should be the perfect bull-rush type of DE.. he and Maponga could make life very difficult for RG3 and Simple Jack.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's Broughton's time to step up.