• The KillerFrogs

FWST: A Q&A With the Bengals Next Starting QB Whose Number Should be Retired By TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: A Q&A With the Bengals Next Starting QB Whose Number Should be Retired By TCU

By Big Steaming Pile

It may take a while, but TCU needs to seriously considering retiring No. 14. Or least take it out of circulation. Andy Dalton may not be as great as Sammy Baugh, but you can easily argue that Dalton belongs in the same discussion as the other all-time TCU greats.

Dalton, who was drafted in the second round by the Bengals in the recent NFL draft, is back at TCU working out. I am biased, but this is a great kid. Someone you want to see do well, especially for a team that has been awful since Paul Brown died and for a fan base that is beyond disenchanted. Maybe he can be the guy.

Dalton is in Fort Worth and met with reporters on Monday at TCU. Here are some of the highlights. ...

Limey Frog

I'm really not in favor of college programs retiring numbers in all but the rarest of exceptional cases. Even with all 99 numbers available you still have to double up for the walk-ons. You don't have to retire too many before a lot of guys getting playing time are going to be doubling up. Not that it's too hard to keep track of which guy is on defense and which on offense, but players really like to have ownership of a number. It would be weird to see a #43 running around on offense, or a #34 on defense.

Also, I'm not crazy about this new trend of honoring players immediately. I'm glad TCU hasn't jumped on that bandwagon and I hope we don't start. Texas retiring Colt McCoy and Vince Young's numbers already was embarrassing. There's still plenty of time for one of those guys to murder their wives or something. I'd rather not have to quietly un-retire #14 a few years from now. Sure, hold it out of circulation and only offer it to QBs who earn/want it. But don't declare it retired until Andy Dalton starts laying his hands on people and curing their diseases.

ShreveFrog

Don't know what the stadium will look like as far as honoring former players, but Andy should be there with the rest ... Davey, Sammy, Swink, Lilly, LT, etc. with a banner or plaque or whatever.

Limey Frog

Has TCU retired any numbers in football? :unsure:

TCU 'honors' numbers, holding them out of use without ceremonially declaring them retired and slapping them up on the stadium. That's how we should continue in my book. As of right now those numbers are Baugh's #45, LT's #5 and who else? Bob Lilly's #72 and Jim Swink's #23 are both still in use.

I'd be in favor of holding back Andy's number for a while to see if we have a QB in a few years who shows the same leadership and character, and who really wants to earn it. That could become a great tradition. They could give standout senior QBs #14 if they wanted it/earned it as a statement. That makes more sense than retiring in my opinion.

ricksterh

TCU 'honors' numbers, holding them out of use without ceremonially declaring them retired and slapping them up on the stadium. That's how we should continue in my book. As of right now those numbers are Baugh's #45, LT's #5 and who else? Bob Lilly's #72 and Jim Swink's #23 are both still in use.

I'd be in favor of holding back Andy's number for a while to see if we have a QB in a few years who shows the same leadership and character, and who really wants to earn it. That could become a great tradition. They could give standout senior QBs #14 if they wanted it/earned it as a statement. That makes more sense than retiring in my opinion.

Thanks for the explanation. I agree with this. Also thik that Lilly and Swink should be honored too!

HToady

Has TCU retired any numbers in football? :unsure:

Number 8 is also not used. Except for O'brien, I think the honor (of not using the number) stems from performance in the NFL, and representation of the school after their college days are over. I think a banner is well deserved.

bronco

Number 8 is also not used. Except for O'brien, I think the honor (of not using the number) stems from performance in the NFL, and representation of the school after their college days are over. I think a banner is well deserved.

I would think Heisman winners should have consideration but only after a few years so they can also prove they are good citizens.