• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU 2024 linebackers outlook: Key players return

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU 2024 linebackers outlook: Key players return

Ethan Love

4QZRLGZ7P5EY5FRFAMRIPXCKGU.jpg

The Frogs are running it back for the most part in the linebacker department. The key for this group is the new coach. In addition to new defensive coordinator Andy Avalos, TCU’s other marquee hire was Ken Wilson to be the linebackers coach. Wilson was the head coach at Nevada the previous two seasons. He served as the linebackers coach at Oregon in 2019-20 seasons under now TCU defensive coordinator Avalos, winning back-to-back conference championships. Here’s a complete outlook of the linebacking unit heading into spring ball.

Key returners: Johnny Hodges (6-2, 240), Namdi Obiazor (6-3, 225)
Key losses: Jamoi Hodge (NFL)
Newcomers: Kaleb Elarms-Orr (sophomore, 6-3, 222)
Biggest unanswered question: Can speed improve?

The biggest weakness of this linebacking group was exposed in week one last season. Speed. Coach Prime and Colorado shredded TCU’s defense with the screen pass. Other teams followed suit throughout the 2023 season. The linebackers for the Frogs simply lacked the sideline-to-sideline speed to tackle speedy running backs and wide receivers. The new scheme and coaching should help to mask this weakness, but it is to be seen how this group will respond next season.

Why 2024 production could be better: New linebackers coach Wilson should get the linebackers in prime shape this offseason so they are better equipped to defend against the short pass. A breath of fresh air should help this group get back to 2022 form. Experience is always great, and with Hodges and Obiazor leading the way, the Frogs have two seniors leading the way next season. The departure of the hard-hitting Hodge does hurt, but there is plenty of depth in-house and the addition of Elarms-Orr from California helps.

Why 2024 production could be worse: There’s no new names here. Besides Elarms-Orr, the Frogs seemed very content with their current linebacking group heading into 2024. A unit that struggled last season, coach Dykes is hoping for a bounce-back campaign from his core linebackers. If they can’t turn things around, look for their speed to once again be the reason they falter.

Overall outlook: There is no shortage of talent in this group. Both Hodges and Obiazor were key components to TCU’s miracle run in 2022. After a shaky 2023, a new scheme overall combined with a new position coach should catapult this unit to the top of the Big 12. Defending the short passing game has to be the main focus for Wilson this offseason, as they will have to adapt to Avalos’ new scheme.

Other TCU position outlooks​

- Running backs

- Wide receivers and tight ends

ShreveFrog

In the wide receiver outlook, the writer makes no mention of Earle, Everhart, Wright, Bech, J. Bailey or Nowell. I expect all of them to contribute. I agree with the writer that Williams, Richardson and McAlister will likely be the top 3 receivers. But this guy could be more thorough.

Limp Lizard

I disagree that the linebacking was really slow. They played really slowly. The impression I got for most games from the defense was confusion. Hesitation before reacting...not good for the second year in a defense. Blown coverages many times, which surprised, then disgusted me with all the experience we had in the secondary.

So glad to see an aggressive defense. I also see the offense having to help the defense early. Then a couple of times later in the season.

Froggy Style

I disagree that the linebacking was really slow. They played really slowly. The impression I got for most games from the defense was confusion. Hesitation before reacting...not good for the second year in a defense. Blown coverages many times, which surprised, then disgusted me with all the experience we had in the secondary.

So glad to see an aggressive defense. I also see the offense having to help the defense early. Then a couple of times later in the season.
Hodges is pretty dang slow, trying to cover Colorado swing passes was like racing Usain Bolt.