• The KillerFrogs

Breaking: UCONN and Rutgers denied agreeing to stay

jasoncalalum

The officials, who asked that their names not be used because of the sensitive nature of the negotiations, denied that Connecticut and Rutgers agreed to stay in the conference during a three-hour meeting among Big East football members on Monday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-uconnfuture

Froggle Rock

not exactly breaking... their prez came out earlier today and made a statement that didn't even mention the Big East. Instead she said they "would do what's in the best interest of the university" which is the standard company line at this point.

macaroni

I'm pretty sure every single team in the Big East (including us) will jump at a better offer. The question is who, if anyone, has another option.

YA

I'm pretty sure every single team in the Big East (including us) will jump at a better offer. The question is who, if anyone, has another option.
Absolutely we all our out for #1.

If tweets are to be believed---wvu with the SEC that is back in play. loserville and wvu for the big 12 that is in play.

ut is going for our jugular with baylor as its lapdog.

Purple Geezer

not exactly breaking... their prez came out earlier today and made a statement that didn't even mention the Big East. Instead she said they "would do what's in the best interest of the university" which is the standard company line at this point.

who cares what those two low-rent scumballs do? they bring to football absolutely nothing, uconn's been playing bigtime football for, what, 37 minutes?

Waccy Frog

I heard Jim Swofford on XM radio today. The ACC is stopping at 16.

No clue about WVa and the SEC or the Big XII. The Okie schools like us; UT wants to add different markets and not more competitors in Texas. We'll see how it pans out.

I'll tell you how it pans out, UT gets their way and TCU will be kicked to the curb and then the whorns will throw trash on top of us. The BE needs to stay viable or we are going to be screwed big time.

PurplePutt

Absolutely we all our out for #1.

If tweets are to be believed---wvu with the SEC that is back in play. loserville and wvu for the big 12 that is in play.

ut is going for our jugular with baylor as its lapdog.

My biggest fear. They want to crush us. No competition in Texas for UT. Competition is bad. They want all the recruits and to win 80 to 0 every week. By the way, who would want to watch that?

JimSwinkLives!

ESPN is the other voice in the room along with UT saying NO to TCU. They're advising against us because we don't expand their market. They have to justify their bloated, overpriced TV contract with B12 and we are in a market they already own, which is why Louisville and others are mentioned as possible replacements for A&M. I promise every expansion target is vetted by the networks for the B12.

ESPN is the other voice in the room along with UT saying NO to TCU. They're advising against us because we don't expand their market.

This is a common fallacy. Conferences have their own motivations for expanding their footprint, but the TV networks don't guide them.

I know it makes a great conspiracy theory, but ESPN is already in every market, and they are covering every team located there. They already have BYU under contract, and they will probably have WVU, Louisville and Cincy under a long-term contract when this is all settled.

They are not sitting there saying "Don't take TCU. Take WVU or Louisville instead." They're already broadcasting WVU and Louisville's games, and will be broadcasting TCU's next year.

If this were true in any way, they would be encouraging UT to take Boise State or Air Force, two teams that draw national TV ratings but aren't broadcast on ESPN. That would actually add something to ESPN that they don't have.

Some people might argue that they are trying to keep NBC from getting the BE contract. Well, if that was ESPN's end game, and if they had so much sway in conference realignment, then they would just tell the Big 12 to add WVU, TCU, Louisville and/or Cincy and kill the entire conference in one fell swoop, thus preventing NBC from getting anything.