• The KillerFrogs

AOL Fanhouse: Texas A&M Bolting to the SEC Is Just a Matter of Time.

713frog

Texas A&M Bolting to the SEC Is Just a Matter of Time
By Clay Travis Senior NCAA Writer | Follow on Twitter: @ClayTravisBGIDText SizeAAAPrint this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream
am600.jpg

Last week, the Texas Longhorns announced a partnership with ESPN that will bring the school just north of $12 million a year for the next 15 years after partnership fees are shared. That money is in addition to the substantial sums of money Texas extorted from its Big 12 brethren during last year's conference realignment shakedown. Make no mistake about it, we've entered a new era of college athletics, where once conferences were king now individual schools, in some cases, don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. Especially when those schools retain the all important local multimedia rights packages, as members of the Big 12 and SEC presently do. The Big Ten and Pac-12 schools have given up those rights.

As a result of the new network deal, ESPN gains the right to create a Texas Longhorn-specific network, the first of its kind. The programming is far from must-see television -- eight men's basketball games and one football game will take up about 20 hours of content -- but it will broadcast 8.740 additional hours of programming a year -- 8,740! It was trendy to make fun of the Big Ten Network's schedule early on, but the Big Ten Network actually carries a ton of games that your average fan would care about.

It's possible the Texas Longhorn network won't turn down a single pitch idea. Meaning Texas is probably going to be the first school in history to be able to offer television shows to assistant coaches.

We can make lots of jokes about what shows will air on ESPN's Longhorn Network -- I'm partial to Boating with Cedric Benson, How to Grow Pot Anywhere in the World starring Ricky Williams, and Vince Young Cooks Shirtless at the VY Steakhouse while talking about the 2006 Rose Bowl -- but the immediate impact of the network is less serious than what it signals. Namely, the Big 12 is a dead conference walking. Until that happens, the Longhorns are going to be extracting a pound of flesh from their biggest rival Texas A&M engaging in provocative acts designed to infuriate its neighbors. As historical analogies go, the Longhorn Network is like Russia sending missiles to Cuba.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2011/01/27/texas-aandm-bolting-to-the-sec-is-just-a-matter-of-time/

AEAfrog

Can't believe I made the mistake of reading the comments after that article. Who knew A&M was THE historic power in Texas, the SWC, and the Big 12??? Apparently UT and OU have just been keeping the chair warm for them the past decade or so...

Gunner

TCU could answer all this Tex -Ag domination talk by creating a little TV production, and selling it to local TV outlets. Maybe even cover Okla and parts of Louisana. Concentrating on TCU sports, football, basketball, baseball, even track... The brand is there now..

You could incorporate productions of the "beauty pageant" segments of fine arts departments..Maybe add another edition on the "ranching" area, a department only TCU has...using the different assets we have.

Have you noticed how bad content is on TV these days. It is irritating how bad it really is..Texas loves football. It would sell if you had some imagination and created some ideas like the "All 22" show on The Mountain....

I'd like to take a product to Channel 21, that suffers greatly for content, and sell that...and at the same time sell athletes all over the state... :biggrin:

TCU could answer all this Tex -Ag domination talk by creating a little TV production, and selling it to local TV outlets. Maybe even cover Okla and parts of Louisana. Concentrating on TCU sports, football, basketball, baseball, even track... The brand is there now..

You could incorporate productions of the "beauty pageant" segments of fine arts departments..Maybe add another edition on the "ranching" area, a department only TCU has...using the different assets we have.

Have you noticed how bad content is on TV these days. It is irritating how bad it really is..Texas loves football. It would sell if you had some imagination and created some ideas like the "All 22" show on The Mountain....

I'd like to take a product to Channel 21, that suffers greatly for content, and sell that...and at the same time sell athletes all over the state... :biggrin:
All you have to do is convince the TCU administration to allow you to shop the show around.

I did something similar for a coach's show at an Atlantic 10 university. They didn't have a coach's show, so I asked them if I could help them put one together that would show a little profit, would they allow it?

It starts on The CW in a few weeks (not in DFW).

Riff Ram

This is some of the best analysis I've seen--our local sportswriters are not capible or willing to pull the curtain back like this.

Annoying Group of 20

I still don't believe that a$m ever had an offer to join the SEC. They would have been on it in a heartbeat and now sound like they are CYA. It had to be contigent on Texas going to the PAC-10. To me, that is just the SEC doing a better job scuttling the deal than anything else. Besides, the SEC already has a Mississippi State and doesn't need another one in A&M. OU could be a different story. Tech, Baylor and the others are screwed.

The Big East deal looks better everyday.

713frog

I still don't believe that a$m ever had an offer to join the SEC. They would have been on it in a heartbeat and now sound like they are CYA. It had to be contigent on Texas going to the PAC-10. To me, that is just the SEC doing a better job scuttling the deal than anything else. Besides, the SEC already has a Mississippi State and doesn't need another one in A&M. OU could be a different story. Tech, Baylor and the others are screwed.

The Big East deal looks better everyday.

even though the A&M president admitted they had an offer and the SEC commish refuses to comment on it? sounds pretty convincing to me that they had an invite.

and what does "Besides, the SEC already has a Mississippi State and doesn't need another one in A&M" mean? SEC doesn't like having two teams with maroon colors?

WVUFan

even though the A&M president admitted they had an offer and the SEC commish refuses to comment on it? sounds pretty convincing to me that they had an invite.

and what does "Besides, the SEC already has a Mississippi State and doesn't need another one in A&M" mean? SEC doesn't like having two teams with maroon colors?

I dont get it either maybe comparing A$M to MSU as MSU is to BAMA as A$M is to UT?

anyway MSU is going to be good they have a good coach,

if it was the colors the SEC has two school with the same mascot LSU and AU tigers,

AU even took on the "WAR EAGLE" as a mascot lol so they have two

A$M did have a offer will they get another one I dont know, I hope they do because last year was the most entertaining summer. and I dont like baseball so i need me some expansion mess please!!

InterestedObserver

I'm pretty sure he meant that the SEC is made up of mostly top name public institutions from respective states. Schools such as Florida, Georgia, UT (the real one), LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Arkansas. The secondary schools are Vandy, Auburn, and Miss State. The Aggies are much more like Auburn and Miss State than they are the other schools.

Annoying Group of 20

I'm pretty sure he meant that the SEC is made up of mostly top name public institutions from respective states. Schools such as Florida, Georgia, UT (the real one), LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Arkansas. The secondary schools are Vandy, Auburn, and Miss State. The Aggies are much more like Auburn and Miss State than they are the other schools.

This.

Why would A&M turn down the SEC invite? That's just crazy to me. You would go in a heartbeat. It had to be a contigent offer is all I'm saying. I think when Texas didn't go Pac-10, Lucy Slive pulled the football from Charlie A&M Brown. Just my theory - I could be wrong. They are aggies after all.

WVUFan

they turned them down because they were promised more money and publicity than they would get in the SEC but guess DAN BEBEE lied to them again lol
it sucks but i hope SEC offers again

Latest posts