• The KillerFrogs

Nick Saban Retires

I think Alabama finds it difficult to get someone they want. You are following Saban and it is Tuscaloosa - hot, muggy Tuscaloosa. Their glory days may be over; they got lucky with Nick Saban coming and his long commitment.

Deion Sanders is a talked about candidate and even he would likely not move, but it would be tough to walk away from Colorado after one year and all the people that affects - coaches, players and his sons. And Boulder does not have the muggy heat at fall practice.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

Sark is staying too per his new contract
Sark already has a better job than Alabama minus Saban.

'Bama is still one of the top half-dozen jobs on its own, but the perception that it is the top job bar none is due to the refracted glow of Saban and The Bear. The two best jobs in terms of infrastructural preconditions for winning national championships are Ohio State and Texas, sad to say.

Other than Alabama’s football infrastructure and commitment, why would a proven good head coach at a P4 school want to follow Saban and live in Alabama?…maybe money. Without Saban, I would expect recruiting to no longer be #1 or #2 in the SEC, and that ain’t good for competing on a Saban level - Saban being the GOAT carried recruiting.

Their glory days may be over; they got lucky with Saban coming and his following long commitment after an NFL stint.

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

If a coach is afraid to follow Saban, then you don't want him. As an icon of the SEC and college football, you have access to the best recruits from Texas to Florida, and pretty much anywhere else. Everything you want for a winning program is there.
Outside of Huntsville, Alabama ranks pretty low on places to live. But I'd say outside of Texas and Florida, there aren't a lot of great places to live in football country. It's muggy hot across much of the country in August.

An-Cap Frog

I mean, this took TCU to the national championship game in 2022, let's be honest.

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Well, Alabama does provide close proximity to the most fertile recruiting turf, so that would be a good reason to go to Bama, versus all the awful travel time involved in recruiting from the extreme NW corner of the continental 48. A better quality of life by that measure.

And then there is game day travel, where no other conference school is now close other than Oregon. So 4 or 5 long conference trips per year.

Oh, and of course, the money. Reported he may make more than double the 4.2 million he gets at Washington.

Last edited:
I wonder who they called before DeBoer. Dan Lanning. At least make Kirby turn you down. I don't think DeBoer was the top choice for them.
DeBoer won big at Souix Falls from 2005-2009 and then one winning year at Fresno State before his only two years of P5 at Washington where he enjoyed Penix at QB. So not that much of a head coaching track record with the big boys.

Wexahu

I wonder who they called before DeBoer. Dan Lanning. At least make Kirby turn you down. I don't think DeBoer was the top choice for them.
I highly doubt he was their first option, but he's still probably not a bad option.

It's a great job, but I don't think it's really any better than a handful or two of other schools. And following up Saban would not be easy. If the guy loses three games in his first year they'll be calling for his head.

tetonfrog

It is a great hire for Bama. DeBoer js a winner. People say he rode Penix's success to the title game, but I believe it is the other way around. He took an injury prone QB, kept him healthy, surrounded him with weapons and built an explosive offense. Some people might have been disappointed that they missed on Oregon's Lanning, but he beat that guy twice this year and stuck it to Texas in the semis.

He will do good things there. Bama will be just fine.