• The KillerFrogs

The Spun: Former TCU Coach Gary Patterson Makes His Intentions About Coaching Clear

tetonfrog

Patterson's leadership was on the decline. His staff's ability to find, recruit, and develop talent was strong. Patterson failed in adapting his scheme, coaching his coaches to put those players in the best possible position for success.
I do not want to go off on you or GP, but that second sentence is laughable. GP crashed and burned after Baker Boomered us in the Big 12 title game. How many impact OL and DL did GP and his staff recruit and develop since that game.......................................? GP's last unit featured a 195-pound DE and a 210-pound DE.

That staff's laziness on the recruiting trail crippled us. Christ, we could not stop or beat SMU! There were multiple road blowout losses in Morgantown, Ames, Manhattan, Norman, etc. It might be true that GP never adjusted his scheme, but it would not have mattered because our defensive players simply were not good enough.

I will always love and respect GP for his success and his loyalty to our school. But he stopped recruiting and his buddies who were on staff stopped recruiting, too. During his last years here, there was no accountability to him or his staff.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I do not want to go off on you or GP, but that second sentence is laughable. GP crashed and burned after Baker Boomered us in the Big 12 title game. How many impact OL and DL did GP and his staff recruit and develop since that game.......................................? GP's last unit featured a 195-pound DE and a 210-pound DE.

That staff's laziness on the recruiting trail crippled us. Christ, we could not stop or beat SMU! There were multiple road blowout losses in Morgantown, Ames, Manhattan, Norman, etc. It might be true that GP never adjusted his scheme, but it would not have mattered because our defensive players simply were not good enough.

I will always love and respect GP for his success and his loyalty to our school. But he stopped recruiting and his buddies who were on staff stopped recruiting, too. During his last years here, there was no accountability to him or his staff.
except Dykes took those guys and went to the NC game.

I have no freaking idea. He's been here two years. One was amazing, the other was not good. We'll see what we are going forward. I don't think the landscape is going to get easier in the player acquisition/retention department though, that is going to be a more difficult battle than it was the last decade just because of money and the B12 perception.

Maybe they sat down and analyzed everything after the season and thought, you know what, we could change DCs but I'm not sure that's going to accomplish much, we've got some major personnel issues on that side of the ball that need to be fixed. Or there was some other issues in play that had little to nothing to do with the DC. I don't know. SD has been doing this a long time, I'm sure he feels some pressure. If the decision is to keep the DC, that's what it is and it either works or it doesn't, I'm not going to come on here and act like the whole program is a joke because we aren't firing him. The fact that JG is apparently on some other school's wish list would seem to indicate that he isn't some sort of buffoon who has no idea what he is doing. And there were 5-6 league teams who gave up more yards per play than we did, so it can always get worse.
I'm sorry but you can have 22 top defenders (first and second string) and still constantly get blown out when you insist on running a passive prevent defense 95% of the time. Those 22 pretty soon become lethargic and morph into pretty poor players. When you play not to lose rather than play to win, you are pretty much going to get the results that we have experienced. Ask Texas about that prevent defense they utilized against Oklahoma on that last drive. I doubt if you can classify the Texas defense as one that lacks quality players

Horny4TCU

I wish we could get an angry, chip on their shoulder, hate in their heart defensive team again. Bumpas and GP were great in their prime. If only Gillespie would move on...

East Coast

Tier 1
Weren’t all the cool kids drinking Mr. Pibb?
Fun fact, a Coca Color distributor had the soda machine concession when I was living in the dorms. They refused to put Dr Pepper in the machines, arguing Mr Pibb was basically the same. The Student Body put together a pretty effective boycott of the machines, and after about 3 weeks there was 1 slot in every machine for Dr Pepper.

Fun fact, a Coca Color distributor had the soda machine concession when I was living in the dorms. They refused to put Dr Pepper in the machines, arguing Mr Pibb was basically the same. The Student Body put together a pretty effective boycott of the machines, and after about 3 weeks there was 1 slot in every machine for Dr Pepper.
What year was that?

4 Oaks Frog

I have no freaking idea. He's been here two years. One was amazing, the other was not good. We'll see what we are going forward. I don't think the landscape is going to get easier in the player acquisition/retention department though, that is going to be a more difficult battle than it was the last decade just because of money and the B12 perception.

Maybe they sat down and analyzed everything after the season and thought, you know what, we could change DCs but I'm not sure that's going to accomplish much, we've got some major personnel issues on that side of the ball that need to be fixed. Or there was some other issues in play that had little to nothing to do with the DC. I don't know. SD has been doing this a long time, I'm sure he feels some pressure. If the decision is to keep the DC, that's what it is and it either works or it doesn't, I'm not going to come on here and act like the whole program is a joke because we aren't firing him. The fact that JG is apparently on some other school's wish list would seem to indicate that he isn't some sort of buffoon who has no idea what he is doing. And there were 5-6 league teams who gave up more yards per play than we did, so it can always get worse.
Gawd! Lets hope it doesn’t get worse…