• The KillerFrogs

ACC officially votes to add Cal, Stanford, SMU

Sangria Wine

ESPN and Jerry World will $$ whip the Ponies and will become, effectively, a home game for their opponents.
There’s little doubt in my mind that’s where most big games will be at. That will allow the Texas based alums from those schools plenty of seating options. And since SMU won’t be getting any conference money that’s the only opportunity the Mustangs will have to financially capitalize on conference membership.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
That was freaking awesome. Now, if Clemson rolls like us then he’s about to be available. Sounded like he doesn’t think he can get fired. Bigger than the program. Ego has gotten out of hand. Clearly they have a problem…
Hey now! I've been skillfully skewering my VooDoo Doll to bring Holgo to Fort Worth!

Chongo94

Speaking of Clemson...

Said for years that this guy was a dbag. I still remember him going off on his kicker far far over the top. Think it was Maniac that really hated the dude but man Dabo is a dbag of epic proportions.

He is where he is because he wins as he said but also because that “smartass kid” and others pay his salary but that never occurred to him.

He also comes across as having a bit of a God complex when it comes to that program seemingly inferring that the only reason Clemson is any good again is because of him.

Double D

Tier 1
He said he doesn't care. If he doesn't care, why does he ramble for 5 minutes?

His ultimate downfall will be his lack of not utilizing the transfer portal. He's pretty arrogant if he thinks his recruiting is that great.

Complete clown.

Said for years that this guy was a dbag. I still remember him going off on his kicker far far over the top. Think it was Maniac that really hated the dude but man Dabo is a dbag of epic proportions.

He is where he is because he wins as he said but also because that “smartass kid” and others pay his salary but that never occurred to him.

He also comes across as having a bit of a God complex when it comes to that program seemingly inferring that the only reason Clemson is any good again is because of him.

SMU is to receive no conference monetary distribution for a

period of nine years. That's tantamount to "selling your soul

to the company store". Desperation is a strange bedfellow....

Limey Frog

Here's the summary: ACC are so excited to be adding these three premium programs that they are a) not adding a further conference game to be able to create more matchups involving them, and b) making them play one another round-robin so that they each only have six slots left on their respective schedules that the other 14 members are forced to fill.

In case there was any doubt that this move was a cynical money-grab by a desperate league that didn't actually want the members it added, which there wasn't.

Wexahu

Here's the summary: ACC are so excited to be adding these three premium programs that they are a) not adding a further conference game to be able to create more matchups involving them, and b) making them play one another round-robin so that they each only have six slots left on their respective schedules that the other 14 members are forced to fill.

In case there was any doubt that this move was a cynical money-grab by a desperate league that didn't actually want the members it added, which there wasn't.
It was a move by a desperate league, so what? I don't think anyone really doubts or questions what it was, and I don't know why TCU fans seem to care so much.

On a lesser scale, the Big 12 adding BYU, Cincy, Houston, and UCF was the same, a move by a desperate league. Just a couple years prior, the Big 12 wasn't interested in adding any of those teams. What changed? A couple teams bailed, and they got desperate, that's what changed.

ShreveFrog

But at least the teams we added can point to recent football (UCF, Cincy) or basketball (UH) success, or have a big following (BYU). All seem dedicated to competitive athletics. All unlike the ACC adds.

Wexahu

But at least the teams we added can point to recent football (UCF, Cincy) or basketball (UH) success, or have a big following (BYU). All seem dedicated to competitive athletics. All unlike the ACC adds.
Does it really make any difference? FWIW, I think Cincy's football success is all but forgotten.

This is all going to hit home next year.

Limey Frog

It was a move by a desperate league, so what? I don't think anyone really doubts or questions what it was, and I don't know why TCU fans seem to care so much.

On a lesser scale, the Big 12 adding BYU, Cincy, Houston, and UCF was the same, a move by a desperate league. Just a couple years prior, the Big 12 wasn't interested in adding any of those teams. What changed? A couple teams bailed, and they got desperate, that's what changed.
It was Oklahoma and Texas that didn't want those members. With the exception perhaps of Houston, I think the other league members would have been happy to expand in 2016.

The differences are:

1) There are good reasons to expect that all of the new members will perform well in sports that matter, so while circumstances may have driven the choice it still wasn't therefore a bad one. In contrast;
2) Absent the short-term monetary gains, the ACC's decision was objectively a bad idea and has no likelihood of making long-term sense.

I care because SMU sucks and they're our rival. I want to laugh at them, because they're our rival. That's how rivalries work.

Wexahu

It was Oklahoma and Texas that didn't want those members. With the exception perhaps of Houston, I think the other league members would have been happy to expand in 2016.

The differences are:

1) There are good reasons to expect that all of the new members will perform well in sports that matter, so while circumstances may have driven the choice it still wasn't therefore a bad one. In contrast;
2) Absent the short-term monetary gains, the ACC's decision was objectively a bad idea and has no likelihood of making long-term sense.

I care because SMU sucks and they're our rival. I want to laugh at them, because they're our rival. That's how rivalries work.
They all can't perform well. There's a winner and loser in every game, it's a zero sum game. Winners will emerge, as will losers.

Limey Frog

They all can't perform well. There's a winner and loser in every game, it's a zero sum game. Winners will emerge, as will losers.
I understand that. The average record in every conference every year is .500--thank you for pointing out basic mathematics to me, I am so grateful.

Over time, each of the new programs that joined the Big 12 will have noteworthy success. TCU has had such; right now we suck. Kansas has sucked; right now they're having noteworthy success. I don't believe Cal, Stanford, or SMU will have noteworthy success in the ACC, and I don't believe that the existing members of the ACC invited them on the understanding that they would.

Last edited: