• The KillerFrogs

It’s one thing to look bad, it’s another to be just embarrassing…

It's one thing to take a step back from being in the playoff. It's another to to be completely outclassed by teams like WVU, ISU and take a beatdown from a KSU team that is just a good team but not close to being elite. Every component of this team is poor at fundamentals and looks ill prepared to deal with any team that delivers any degree of adversity. It's hard to feel good about expectations for a turnaround when the coach who is paid $6M per year to know all this stuff and is with the team and coaches many hours every week and is otherwise an articulate speaker seems to be completely unable to identify the reasons it went so far off the rails.

PurpleBlood87

The best things about tonight's game were it was a quick game, no one got hurt and by halftime you knew they were going to lose so by the time the game was over i was over it.
The Colorado and West Virginia losses were much frustrating.

Sonny Side Up

Your memory is short. ISU and OSU in 21 was way worse.
Actually, I agree that tonight is far more devastating than tho other nightmares. This represents our coach’s inability to consistently have the team ready to play. Leadership requires more than platitudes and excuses. This program can be one that sustains a competitive spirit and one that always leaves it all on the field. I can accept a loss, I can’t accept losers. Get better now.

Froggy Style

Actually, I agree that tonight is far more devastating than tho other nightmares. This represents our coach’s inability to consistently have the team ready to play. Leadership requires more than platitudes and excuses. This program can be one that sustains a competitive spirit and one that always leaves it all on the field. I can accept a loss, I can’t accept losers. Get better now.
This had nothing to do with ready to play. The play calls on defense were the same as they always are to start a game. Prevent defense for the first half...then adjust.

Our offense is the same as any team running a pocket passer against the 3-3-5...dead upon arrival.

Bizarro Frog

It feels like Gillespie is determined to try and see if his base scheme will work for 2 quarters and it has to completely fail before he makes an adjustment at half. Problem is by then you have created Heisman candidates for the other team.

JugbandFrog

I’m glad I had to be admin on duty at my homecoming dance, got to fast forward through first half, and then just give it up in rhe 2nd. All in all, just 30 minutes of embarrassment. I’m sorry y’all had to sit through that bullcrap

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Its hard to go to the national championship game and then scheiss it up this bad.

Stop with "we practiced well". scheissing sick of hearing it Sonny.
It's coach-speak. How many times did we hear GP say it. And then BYU's coach said the same thing after our game last week.

Just one time I want to hear a coach that's on his last leg come out after a loss and say, "I knew this was going to happen. We had [ Finebaum ]ty practices all week."

I would die laughing.

Goo

Echos my sentiments exactly.

This is the 3rd time we've played a team with less talent than we have and utilizes a run first offense with a QB who is a run first QB and has a hard time throwing the ball downfield.

So what do we do defensively? We defend them as if we are facing Dan Marino with Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, and Randy Moss at Wide Receiver and Tony Gonzalez at Tight End. With 3 down linemen, guys far off the ball and dropping in coverage and no one left to play contain if the ball is run outside the tackles. Another poster put it best - this defense doesn't attack, it waits. WVU and ISU had QBs that couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat throwing the ball and yet still somehow let them carve us up on the ground and Kansas State is doing what ISU/WVU did to us on steroids.

Offensively its just a mess. Briles is so focused on running tempo that we screw up the fundamentals. Kansas State wasn't going to let Hoover sit back like he did against BYU and brought pressure non stop and not once did we take advantage of the aggressiveness by running a screen, draw, shovel pass or any play that is designed to beat a blitz. Bailey is the only one who seems to care.

This is looking like another Gene Chizik/Ed Oregeron situation, they took the previous coach's players and rode generational/NFL talent to a title. But at least those 2 won the title game.
100%
I don’t get the 3-3-5 with secondary giving such a big cushion. Thought this game one versus CU and still seeing it today. It seems WV and KSt really exposed our defense with running QB’s.