• The KillerFrogs

Anyone else ever see grounding called on a miscommunication pass?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
That was bizarre to me. Morris was under no pressure (which is why he was in the pocket.) He threw a deep ball to a receiver who broke off the route.

Several other bad calls. I could swear they stepped off a 15-yard penalty on defensive holding. Maybe I saw it wrong.

The second holding call on 52 was complete BS from the stadium replay I saw.

They initially failed to step off 5 yards for delay of game on WV.

Big 12 refs are terrible.

PurpleBlood87

Yes. I think it is stupid every time I see it too. You can easily tell if it’s a miscommunication vs. intentional. The penalty is literally called INTENTIONAL grounding.
If the refs had called that on WVU you would have gladly taken the penalty.

You know they call that when a play like that happens. As soon as it happen I told the guys I was sitting with I was surprised they didn't call intentional grounding. Morris wasn't out of the pocket and the ball wasn't near an eligible receiver.

Last edited:

y2kFrog

If the reds had called that on WVU you would have gladly taken the penalty.

You know they call that when a play like that happens. As soon as it happen I told the guys I was sitting with I was surprised they didn't call intentional grounding. Morris wasn't out of the pocket and the ball wasn't near an eligible receiver.

No. It will still be an incorrect interpretation of the rules.

NewFrogFan

The receiver ran the wrong route and Morris was under NO pressure.

CountryFrog

Plays like that happen every game and it literally never gets called.

By definition, intentional grounding is to avoid a sack. There is no one in the stadium who actually thought Morris made that throw just to avoid a sack. It was obvious to everyone who he was throwing to and why the throw ended up so far away from the receiver.

ShreveFrog

Grounding call = ridiculous. Probably cost us 3 points. (If Kell could’ve made the kick from about 10 yards closer.)

The first holding on Damonic was called a personal foul, I think. (Also seems ridiculous.) So WV got the result of the play + 15 yards.

CountryFrog

Grounding call = ridiculous. Probably cost us 3 points. (If Kell could’ve made the kick from about 10 yards closer.)

The first holding on Damonic was called a personal fouls I think. So WV got the result of the play + 15 yards.
No it wasn't called a personal foul. There's no such thing as a personal foul for holding. It was just announced as defensive holding.

And it's pretty amazing that the West Virginia offensive line never held anyone the entire game while somehow our d-line did it twice. I mean if you want to call every single thing that you see then there should've been a handful of holding penalties on their offense.

06DallasFrog

No logic there. Intentional grounding is meant to be a punishment for a QB throwing the ball away to prevent a loss of yards.

CountryFrog

@CountryFrog - That’s what I thought I heard the ref say.
I can't remember with 100% certainty so I won't die on this hill. But I'm like 99.999% certain that it was just holding that was called. Now it's possible that the official announced the wrong thing. I don't know. And I also don't know if they actually stepped off 15 yards as someone else said earlier.

Based on what I saw from that crew last night then none of the above possibilities would surprise me in the least.

4 Oaks Frog

Every game you hear talk from the broadcasting crew (yesterday’s were clowns) how Sonny D constantly jaws at the officials…and he does…a lot. He even got PF or UC flag yesterday.
Could it be that we are on a “give no breaks” list” for the officials? If the is anything that is even close, call it on the Frogs. Give the breaks on all close calls to our options. It sure seems that way.
GO FROGS!
BEAT SOMEBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and frogk baylor!!

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
The most telling call was when WVa was called for delay of game and the refs failed to enforce the penalty. Both teams were lined up before the line official finally figured it out - perhaps with some help from the TCU bench.