• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

LVH

I almost hope for their fans' sake that they end up back in the MWC. Except for our sake I want the fun of having them in the Big 12. But, damn, what a bunch of tools. They're making me feel a warmth toward BYU that I could never have imagined possible.
Same, I've found myself taking BYU's side due to the Utah pride and arrogance.

Never thought I'd say that 15 years ago but here we are

Eight

Idk if I posted this yesterday or not, and this may or may not be a problem.

UA is in, but the B12 has also been talking to ASU & UU.
ASU’s interest is growing rapidly, and UA’s Robbins is adamant that if ASU decides they want to transfer to the B12, they MUST get an invite. Possibly even to the point of saying it’s a package deal. Pete Thamel is also reporting this today.

Of course if ASU comes, UU is coming by extension.

I have no idea what O & W are doing now. I assume the B10 will step into this fire sale at some point, but if they don’t, we could end up with the 6 best PAC10 teams.
That would be monumental growth.

perfectly fine with adding ua, asu, and utah

solid basketball, one solid football in utah with potential for the others and we get to see byu and utah snipe at each other which is always enjoyable

82 Frog Fever

One wrinkle about the Big12 media deal. Adding P5 teams prorata with their primary provider is automatic UP TO 16 TEAMS. That network can't balk at adding the four corner schools as a block. What if you add them and Oregon and Washington want to join? What network is going to decline adding those two big brands prorata despite them not being required to?
I doubt it will be a problem, the B1G would be completely irresponsible at this point not to step in and take O & W at the very least.
There are at least 3 tier1 teams in those 6 teams, and quite possibly more, as all 6 are making good progress with their programs.
I don’t see the B1G letting that happen, it would still put us at a distance, but in their rear view mirror.

The "incentives" he is referencing are likely the payment model that both Apple and Google/YouTube favor, wherein they agree to share performance revenue tied to subs should they hit X thresholds after costs are recovered.

So something like:
- Initial upfront payment of ~$50-100mm
- $200mm guaranteed fees annually
- Rev share model once subs hit X growing to X over time (which will likely be accompanied by a performance projection chart that goes up and to the right over time magically)

This kind of structure I'm sure will be his way to say "hey look at this I can make you so much more!" but it'll be entirely based on future theoretical performance, which is tough given how slow the MLS package has grown. They don't even have 1 million post-paid subs on the MLS package yet, and that's a pro sports league in ~29 markets with some international interest and draw.

I'd guess the lower incentive package will likely look like a smaller upfront payment, higher base ($25mm maybe), and incentives that only kick in at outstanding performance levels, almost like a windfall tax.

An-Cap Frog

This is the first I have heard that the remaining four corner schools may act as a block. Is Thamel right about this? What happens with Oregon and Washington if that's the case? Does the Big12 decide to take a quantum leap and go to 18 teams?

From the article "Dennis Dodd reported the media will be presented to the remaining nine members at some point Tuesday. His reporting follows Pete Thamel’s reporting that Utah, Arizona and Arizona State are expected to act as a block. If one goes, expect all three to go."

Quantum Leap Travel GIF by SYFY

Limey Frog

Kliavkoff got a miracle up his sleeve, or preemptive attempts by Pac 12 sources to shift blame to the Arizona schools for "not waiting long enough" if they leave and it all goes south? I mean, honestly, what is anyone going to say in that meeting except "great, George, let's talk again and we'll plan on finalizing this..."? Then you walk out and hit speed dial to your board of regents chairman. Somehow kliavkoff left the meeting a week last Thursday believing Colorado was still on board.

So far it has always been that the first news out of these meetings seems positive, but later reports pour water on those initial statements and the later ones prove true. I'm guessing that pattern continues, but you never know.

OICU812

One wrinkle about the Big12 media deal. Adding P5 teams prorata with their primary provider is automatic UP TO 16 TEAMS. That network can't balk at adding the four corner schools as a block. What if you add them and Oregon and Washington want to join? What network is going to decline adding those two big brands prorata despite them not being required to?
Related point to that- Would Fox/ESPN put O&W in the B1G with a much larger payout? Or would they rather spend $20-30M less per school by telling them to go to B12?