• The KillerFrogs

FrogsToday: Eddie Lampkin steps away from TCU basketball

Eight

Yeah the comment graveyard of deleted posts is definitely what I was seeing. You had someone with an Iowa flair calling Texas a racist state and trashing the south as a whole then a bunch of people with Texas, TCU, Alabama, and other flairs from southern states calling out the irony of someone with an Iowa flair, a 99% white state, trashing the most diverse region of the country

Then someone with a Stanford/St. Mary's flair(i.e. from the Bay Area) also trashing everything to do with Texas and how racist of a state it is

UCLA flairs saying they are so glad TCU didn't budge on Dixon's buyout because of his racism

It got pretty heated. Most of the TCU flairs I saw in there were sticking up for Dixon thankfully

wait, iowa? where the flagship university's athletic program just settled a discrimination lawsuit?

Eight

Dixon is done with Eddie is to me the clear implication of his text to EL’s mom. Sorry if I was not clear about that.

Edit: And while I do advocate empathy for the things Eddie is dealing with, how can a coach not take drastic steps with a player who takes a powder on his team when it’s time to get on the plane for the conference tourney?

plus, doubt many on the site truly know all that has taken place in the three years eddie has been in the program

surely not me and we keep forgetting the time we see these athletes is the proverbial tip of the iceberg

we have multiple examples in the last 10 years alone where there was so much more to a player's time at tcu and what was happening out out of the spotlight

maybe eddie has been a model person during these last three years who has hit a patch of bad luck and i don't know dixon other than back in the day, but i suspect there is something in the background if jaime went the nuclear option route

Last edited:

Frozen Frog

I think this is one of many examples as to why Patterson will likely never coach a major program again. It takes a special coach to deal with these issues, and I don’t think Patterson has it in him to deal with it. I think he worn out about players complaining after their careers were over about how he ruined them. I think everyone at TCU is trying to figure out a resolution, and the person that can’t figure out what he needs is Lampkin.

I think many star today athletes struggle to handle the inevitability of no longer being the best.

Mean Purple

There seems to be some very unstable individuals posting on Instagram these days. What a shame that what goes on behind the scenes has to be made SO public in such an embarrassing way. I always liked Lampkin and thought he brought a lot of energy and fun and passion to the game, but this exchange and his mother's exchange - it is really ugly - no matter what is going on. This is no way to handle your business.
Agreed.

Mean Purple

I get that feeling but in today's age of mis-and-dis-information, a lot of people especially younger people, feel that they need to start establishing their perspective of the truth first, before someone tries to spin it all the other way.

I wouldn't myself, but I definitely understand it.
The younger people seem to run with feelings and play the game with it. There is no perspective of the truth. There is perspective, and there is the truth. Whether the perspective lines up with the truth is the matter. It's like the whole "his truth/her truth" thing. Trying to understand each other's perspective is one thing, validating what could be a "false" truth is another.

These days, we are all getting played by psych ph.d's looking to rack up some bucks.

Mean Purple

Well coach, your character has just been publicly attacked for the first time in your career. I bet you will have a restless and anxious night, but I hope I am wrong. Get some good rest.

At this point I have to believe Lampkin was getting good value at TCU, fortunate to be on D1 scholarship and have coaches/mentors helping with weight loss, discipline and coaching him up, so why does he not interpret it that way. It is unfortunate for all involved.

And being on an exciting talented tournament team which is a treat.
Maybe he is upset about NIL dollars or something?

Gotta wonder how long it will take, if it has not already, for NIL dollars to be fewer when a player sees less time, whether by their own doing or a coach.

Mean Purple

From the little I see JD is telling mom he is tired of her son’s immaturity and behavior. Mom seems surprised and trying to grasp the discussion. I hope things get ironed out via mom. Parents most of the time can settle their childs mental outlook. Emphasize “most” of the time. Not always.
Which could be why she fired back with the accusations she made? Maybe she didn't realize that it would go that way and is playing another angle to keep her son on the team?

It is all conjecture. But, hey, it's the internet.