• The KillerFrogs

DMN: ‘It makes me want to vomit’: SMU fans won’t root for TCU, Sonny Dykes in CFP title game

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: ‘It makes me want to vomit’: SMU fans won’t root for TCU, Sonny Dykes in CFP title game

By Kevin Sherrington

A national analysis of more than 100,000 Twitter accounts by a sports betting site found that a majority of fans in 28 states will be pulling for David over Goliath in Monday’s national championship game. Not so surprising, really. The story of little ol’ TCU’s rise to the pinnacle of college football proves irresistible. Everybody loves an underdog story inspiring us to unite behind a tale as ancient as the Old Testament.

This is not one of those kinds of stories.

TCU in the title game?

“It makes me want to vomit,” Kellie Prinz Johnson said, laughing.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/s...t-root-for-tcu-sonny-dykes-in-cfp-title-game/

Frawg

By Kevin Sherrington

A national analysis of more than 100,000 Twitter accounts by a sports betting site found that a majority of fans in 28 states will be pulling for David over Goliath in Monday’s national championship game. Not so surprising, really. The story of little ol’ TCU’s rise to the pinnacle of college football proves irresistible. Everybody loves an underdog story inspiring us to unite behind a tale as ancient as the Old Testament.

This is not one of those kinds of stories.

TCU in the title game?

“It makes me want to vomit,” Kellie Prinz Johnson said, laughing.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/s...t-root-for-tcu-sonny-dykes-in-cfp-title-game/
Proper rivalry. Don’t think I could root for them or Baylor.

HFrog1999

star wars hate GIF

bwnorx

Kellie sounds like an insufferable [ hundin].

That said, there are some schools I would never cheer for as well. I would never want Texas aTm to play for a natty. I prob wouldn’t be happy for SMU either. Although I would be glad for Baylor, strangely. Not for their fans but bc I’ve always said what’s good for Baylor is good for us. When your rival is on a big stage you can point to them and say “that could/can be us next year.” Any attention Baylor gets that steals recruits away from Texas, OU, aTm, etc, almost gives those recruits more exposure to TCU as we are their biggest rival. I’m glad we kept Baylor out of the playoff last year but if they had made it in think I would have wanted them to win. Why would you ever cheer for the SEC?

McGregor's Goat

I don't understand why SMU fans are mad. It wasn't a lateral move. TCU fans didn't act shocked and offended when Franchione left TCU for Alabama. Dykes left for a significantly better job, get on with your life and hope that SMU invests in building the program into something that matters.

Relic

Until (and it may be never) SMU's deep-pockets start giving large sums of money to develop all aspects of the football program - from first-class facilities all the way down to all the small logistical parts of the game day experience, they will forever be stuck with poor recruits, poor coaches, and poor results. Sonny saw that quite clearly...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU fans didn't act shocked and offended when Franchione left TCU for Alabama.
Where were you when that went down? A day after Fran reportedly told the team he wasn't leaving, he jumped in a Bama helicopter and left. Then shows up at the Heisman ceremony in a red tie. Then the report that after the first season, he tried to get the OU job.

There were a lot of hard feelings, not that he left, but how. Things he said didn't always match his actions.

But he brought us Gary. And the rest is history.

East Coast

Tier 1
Kellie sounds like an insufferable [ hundin].

That said, there are some schools I would never cheer for as well. I would never want Texas aTm to play for a natty. I prob wouldn’t be happy for SMU either. Although I would be glad for Baylor, strangely. Not for their fans but bc I’ve always said what’s good for Baylor is good for us. When your rival is on a big stage you can point to them and say “that could/can be us next year.” Any attention Baylor gets that steals recruits away from Texas, OU, aTm, etc, almost gives those recruits more exposure to TCU as we are their biggest rival. I’m glad we kept Baylor out of the playoff last year but if they had made it in think I would have wanted them to win. Why would you ever cheer for the SEC?
She sounds like someone who's having fun with the whole situation, but you may be right.

McGregor's Goat

Where were you when that went down? A day after Fran reportedly told the team he wasn't leaving, he jumped in a Bama helicopter and left. Then shows up at the Heisman ceremony in a red tie. Then the report that after the first season, he tried to get the OU job.

There were a lot of hard feelings, not that he left, but how. Things he said didn't always match his actions.

I graduated a couple years before Fran arrived. I wasn't on campus, but the consensus among my friends and I was basically, "Of course you can't blame him for taking the job." Maybe there were people screaming about it on message boards, although I don't remember message boards existing at the time.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I graduated a couple years before Fran arrived. I wasn't on campus, but the consensus among my friends and I was basically, "Of course you can't blame him for taking the job." Maybe there were people screaming about it on message boards, although I don't remember message boards existing at the time.
I don't think anyone would have had an issue with him going to Alabama if the manner in which he left wasn't duplicitous while making the Heisman presentation more about that move than the student athlete being honored.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
They did. The Frog Fan Forum existed. And we were furious, dude. Still kinda salty about it, to be honest.

One Frog Nation

Yea, when all that was going down, Fran called TCU his pine box job. Then 2 days later gone. I think the fans were as upset with him leaving as they were with his pine box job comments and gone 2 days later. Admit you are looking or keep your mouth shut. Don't lie.
It's stories like this that make me say, dump SMu

Frog DJ

I was honored to be a co-host of the Bear Bryant Award ceremony in Houston the year that Franchione was nominated and lost.

He insisted that he be referred to as "Alabama Head Coach," and all the video highlights employed during his introduction package featured Alabama - plays that he had nothing to do with, because he had yet to coach Alabama in a single down.

He defiantly wore that same crimson necktie that he'd worn at the Heisman Award ceremony, and I proudly wore my purple Frog tie. We met all the nominees backstage beforehand, and when he saw my tie he said, "Oh, are you a TCU alum?"

I said, "Yes, I'm proud of TCU!"

He responded, "You should be."

To which I smirked, "So should you!"

Go Frogs!