• The KillerFrogs

Newy interviewed an emotional Coach P about the title game

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Worth noting that you can be angry with someone without tossing out all the good. I don’t understand why so many people have no ability to separate the two.
But what did he do to you to make you angry? Did he make anyone any guarantees he would do anything? Like a lot of coaches he couldn’t keep it going. He was fired. I don’t recall anyone spewing bile at Abe Martin when he lost his touch. He was always coming around talking to players ay MD in the 70s.

Frogs1983

He has a statue on campus. Most statues are dedicated after one is gone. This one wasn’t. Now it needs to be. GP should never be associated with this program again except in history books.
I don't go that far .I do say as long as he is Coaching or Analyzing or whatever the Hell he's supposedly doing with a competitor of TCU, he shouldn't be around. When/if he ever truly retires, then yes, he should always be welcomed back in my opinion. I have been around since early 70's , so I remember the absolute pit TCU Football was in before Patterson. His contributions should never be forgotten by TCU. There is a proper time/place for everything however. Now is not the time. Team needs to be 1000% focused on Georgia Monday night. No outside stuff going on.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
He was the reason this program floundered and severely underperformed and was unwilling to change when change was so obviously needed. He was the embodiment of tragic hubris.
Hubris, meet Nemesis. As pride goeth before a fall, so those whom Gods destroy they first make mad. That interview showed me a great deal of remorse in Gary, a sense that he realizes what he had, how he went off the rails, and how he lost everything through his own stubbornness and intractability.

If he truly hated TCU, and wished to destroy, he certainly wouldn't keep all those mementos up on the walls. Each and every day, like all the rest of us, he deals with the choices he made in the past that he cannot change. He feels the remorse, and is now admitting it. While I believe there will never be a place for him at TCU in any decision-making capacity, there will come a time for reconciliation. Perhaps in another 9 years or so...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
First off, there isn’t a “feud”. As for the issue….Gary, Gary is the issue. He threw a childish fit making the end of his time even more awkward than it should have been and then took a job at UT (which I’m not really bothered by but others seem to be). That many of our fans were left with a bad taste in their mouth because of that is a reflection on him and not them. And that’s without even bringing up the disaster this program had turned into the last several years.

So? Did he do this personally to you? I didn’t like the UT thing either, but Christ get over it.

I guess I’m just old and see it as a waste of time to be angry at someone that really has no impact on me personally.

Eight

Its a relative thing, but after 3 decades of losing and not just losing but losing badly going from a single win season to bowl games in a couple of years is pretty rapid to me.

guess it is a matter of perspective

the change in conferences had a huge impact on the direction of the program as the level of competition each week dramatically changed, the frogs went from being at the bottom in resources and budget to near the top, and then with the proper hires and committment of resources the frogs built their way back

ShreveFrog

With all due respect to Gary’s former players and loyalists here, this is Sonny’s team. And his staff’s team. Not Gary’s. 2022 Gary could not have done this.

And that’s how Scruggs should’ve approached the interview: “Gary, what do you think about what Sonny has done with what you left?

And I love Gary. I cherish the memories. Had the chance to shake his hand after the Peach Bowl and thank him. But it’s a new day. Sonny & Co. are up to the challenge in the new landscape of college football.

Chongo94

I don't go that far .I do say as long as he is Coaching or Analyzing or whatever the Hell he's supposedly doing with a competitor of TCU, he shouldn't be around. When/if he ever truly retires, then yes, he should always be welcomed back in my opinion. I have been around since early 70's , so I remember the absolute pit TCU Football was in before Patterson. His contributions should never be forgotten by TCU. There is a proper time/place for everything however. Now is not the time. team needs to be 1000% focused on Georgia Monday night. No outside stuff going on.
Yeah I think this is the key, he’s working at another school currently. That should automatically disqualify him. Were he unemployed or working in some other industry after coaching, well that’s another thing entirely.

ReedFrawg

I’m not trying to make you understand. I’ve explained my position elsewhere. If you want to look it up you may. If not, that’s cool too

I’m pretty sure everyone’s mind is made up anyway

I wasn't just referencing you. I just don't understand why people can't simultaneously thank Gary, appreciate what he did and also love Sonny and the new direction. No reason in my opinion to talk about Gary now except to thank him. That's all.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I wasn't just referencing you. I just don't understand why people can't simultaneously thank Gary, appreciate what he did and also love Sonny and the new direction. No reason in my opinion to talk about Gary now except to thank him. That's all.
It’s weird you would quote me but not reference me.

OK though

mstrB

Tough to reconcile these tears with running to UT as soon as he possibly could to try and beat his players. It has to be one or the other and for me actions speak louder than words/tears.

Maybe he really regrets joining UT now, but it is what it is. Joining UT was a really petty move any way you look at it.
Getting a job after being fired is a petty move? Our own coach Sonny literally moved to a rival on his own will without being fired and is a head coach not an analyst... what do you call that?

Hemingway

So? Did he do this personally to you? I didn’t like the UT thing either, but Christ get over it.

I guess I’m just old and see it as a waste of time to be angry at someone that really has no impact on me personally.
Things don’t happen in a vacuum. You do something it will cause multiple other things to happen.
I find it so interesting that the manipulative CDC is so free and clear here with so many. He’s just equally to blame. He gave GP the outlet and tried to goad the fan base and get an edge.

Power of Purple

Ticket Exchange Pass
Patterson will be acknowledged for his contributions but at a latter time and place. Now is not the time. It is about this team here and now. Patterson can wait and have his moment later. There is plenty of time.

Moose Stuff

There actually IS a reason to talk about Gary. He put himself on TV last night for the first time since he was let go to draw attention to himself 4 days before the biggest sporting event in TCU history. It was deliberate. He WANTED people to talk about him, and it worked I guess.