• The KillerFrogs

2024-2025 European Football Thread

Purp

About to start the game. Heard all about it all day long. We've had a lot of really great games in this tournament. Qatar sucks, but this may be one of the most compelling tournaments ever.

dawg

Finally, after work and family obligations, got to watch what was without a doubt one of the greatest sporting contests I’ve witnessed. The Final usually sucks; the pressure inevitability breeding conservative play, and especially in ET. Not this one. This one was drunk AF. Football.… Bloody. scheissing. Hell. What a match.

The stones of Scaloni to put Di Maria in the XI; a decent call. Deschamps rejigging midway through the 1st half, pulling Le Hair. Mbappe. X2. Then Messi. Then Mbappe. Then Martínez what a scheissing save in 123’ (@Chongo94, maybe we shoulda given him a run in the 1st XI?).

And then this… I had no idea Andres Cantor was Argentinian. His call of Mbappe’s second was noticeably deflated by his standards, but I assumed it was Latin American solidarity. Awesome for him to get to make that call today.

Chongo94

Finally, after work and family obligations, got to watch what was without a doubt one of the greatest sporting contests I’ve witnessed. The Final usually sucks; the pressure inevitability breeding conservative play, and especially in ET. Not this one. This one was drunk AF. Football.… Bloody. scheissing. Hell. What a match.

The stones of Scaloni to put Di Maria in the XI; a decent call. Deschamps rejigging midway through the 1st half, pulling Le Hair. Mbappe. X2. Then Messi. Then Mbappe. Then Martínez what a scheissing save in 123’ (@Chongo94, maybe we shoulda given him a run in the 1st XI?).

And then this… I had no idea Andres Cantor was Argentinian. His call of Mbappe’s second was noticeably deflated by his standards, but I assumed it was Latin American solidarity. Awesome for him to get to make that call today.

Great post!
And yeah, always thought he should’ve gotten more of a shot especially after his late season effort that one year when Leno got hurt.

Spreading covid like a mug!

Purp

Same. Crazy long day with some unplanned interruptions this afternoon. Just finished half an hour ago. Just wow!

I'm stunned by how awful France were for nearly 80 minutes. I'm also disappointed by Mbappe winning the golden boot on 2 PKs that I felt are especially harsh. The first shouldn't have been given bc the initial foul occurred outside the box. The 2nd one I just fundamentally disagree with the way the law is written and interpreted. The player's are was not in an unnatural position. Yes, it's away from his body, but it's not unnaturally separated from his body. It's out for balance purposes only and I wish they'd go back to that being legal.

But what a remarkable game. End to end that last 15. Stellar plays both ways. What a ton of fun!

Chongo94

Apparently he and his wife actually released a joint statement about it. They were 18. And the alleged victim is her. They’ve been married since then and have multiple kids.

I think it’s clear by now that neither side (USSF and Berhalter) wants to continue on with the other…how it’s gotten to this point like this is just ridiculous.

Eight

Apparently he and his wife actually released a joint statement about it. They were 18. And the alleged victim is her. They’ve been married since then and have multiple kids.

I think it’s clear by now that neither side (USSF and Berhalter) wants to continue on with the other…how it’s gotten to this point like this is just ridiculous.

so just sit down and work out the details or give him a window seat until his contract expires

Moose Stuff

If the end result is him being gone then I’m ALL for it!

Purp

Apparently Claudio Reyna threatened to the USSF during the WC to release damaging information about Berhalter's past. Now it's being reported that Claudio's wife is the one who gave this info to the federation.

I really don't want Berhalter back and think the way he handled the Gio situation in Qatar was petty and ridiculous, but this makes me lose a ton of respect for Claudio. And I hate that Gio is getting caught up in it too because of the WC situation.

It happened 25 years ago and the couple moved on well from it. This is a non-issue. Darn the Reyna's for making me sympathetic to Berhalter.

so just sit down and work out the details or give him a window seat until his contract expires
His contract expired 12/31/22 so we technically have no coach for the January window coming up.

Purp

If the end result is him being gone then I’m ALL for it!
I disagree. I want him gone as much as anybody, but not for the right reasons. I can't support a woke mafia leading to his ouster for something as seemingly innocuous as this 25 years ago. He's been married to the woman for a very long time and they've clearly reconciled. And he was 18 darning years old when it happened. For the love of all thing holy please don't ruin a guy's career over that. I don't want him anywhere near the USSF, but nobody deserves this crap.