• The KillerFrogs

OT: Divorce Attorney

HornyWartyToad

Thanks everyone for all the concerns and PMs. Been meaning to respond to this thread and PMs but I've been busy trying to juggle everything...including a decent job offer I turned down b/c I'm not really in the right frame of mind to be making such a move. I really appreciate all of you.

It must be divorce season because it's been almost impossible to get an appointment, even for an initial consultation, before March. I have talked to one and have another appointment with him this afternoon. I have to decide whether to put down the retainer (5k) or pay his hourly rate (400). For those in the know, are these reasonable?

We agree on most everything regarding property, assets and debts but our sticking point is my son. She wants to eventually move to Waxahachie, which Ellis borders Tarrant but it's also over 40 miles from our house and his school. She said she won't move immediately but I suspect within a year or two she will want to...which is where I have a problem. She wants to be the custodial parent...which means she has final say in where he lives and goes to school. That's not gonna work with me. So here we are and I'm afraid it's going to get ugly and expensive.
Probably your strongest case is going to be that she chose to have a child in Fort Worth and raise him here, and that you relied on that when planning your son's life, and stability is to be favored. That said, different judges may view it differently. Historically the law in Texas overwhelmingly favored moms as custodial, but that has changed a lot over time. Point being, don't just assume that she will be custodial just because that's what she wants.
That said, also keep in the back of your mind, no matter how that part of it turns out: Small children are incredibly resilient, and he will adapt well to whatever the, "new normal," turns out to be. Whatever comes, be quick to let go of any disappointment and embrace whatever life with him turns out to look like. You'll both be winners if you can do that.

Hemingway

Thanks everyone for all the concerns and PMs. Been meaning to respond to this thread and PMs but I've been busy trying to juggle everything...including a decent job offer I turned down b/c I'm not really in the right frame of mind to be making such a move. I really appreciate all of you.

It must be divorce season because it's been almost impossible to get an appointment, even for an initial consultation, before March. I have talked to one and have another appointment with him this afternoon. I have to decide whether to put down the retainer (5k) or pay his hourly rate (400). For those in the know, are these reasonable?

We agree on most everything regarding property, assets and debts but our sticking point is my son. She wants to eventually move to Waxahachie, which Ellis borders Tarrant but it's also over 40 miles from our house and his school. She said she won't move immediately but I suspect within a year or two she will want to...which is where I have a problem. She wants to be the custodial parent...which means she has final say in where he lives and goes to school. That's not gonna work with me. So here we are and I'm afraid it's going to get ugly and expensive.
And what is in Waxahachie that requires her to move there?

Paradoxotaur

I had a former brother-in-law who was a court master in Sulphur Springs. He heard a case involving a young couple who had only been married a few months. They had nothing other than wedding gifts and very little debt. When asked to submit a list of their assets, they were being very pissy and listed each and every piece of silverware and china, such as: !. Salad fork, 2. Salad fork, 3. Salad fork, etc, all the way through service for 8. When they came to court, he was kind of angry about all the pettiness, but told them he could take care of it very quickly...All the even numbered pieces went to him and all the odd numbered pieces went to her. Divorce granted. Evidently the "even-odd" decision is still talked about.
Only registering for service for 8 was an obvious sign of a pending disaster.

TexasFrogTCU

Well...it's filed. Didn't want to be the first but everyone I've talked to said it's best this way.
You are correct. You want to be the Petitioner. This will be a long journey. Hearing dates will have many weeks between them (get ready for Zoom) and the courts are so backed up. Pack your patience.

You will need a close circle to surround you and your son. Outside that, keep your head down and focus on your work, son, relationships with family, your mental health (counselor), physical health (exercise) and faith if important to you. Not much else will matter and to the extent you keep quiet outside the inner circle, the better off you’ll be.

You are now in a business relationship with your ex. Co-parenting and major negotiations are in your immediate future. Don’t lash out. Plan to bite your tongue on everything. Don’t get even.

Dating - don’t even think about the apps right now. They’re not that great. You’ll find the right one. A year is a good guideline.

This will be the toughest thing you have to go thru but time is on your side. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Frog79

Wow, so sorry to hear about this. Besides hoping that you find a good attorney I hope that any fellow male frogs who are contemplating marriage are paying attention to this thread and learn something from it. Family courts are corrupt and best serve the interest of women and lawyers. You want to avoid them at all costs.

Bottom line for the guys: there is nothing of substance you can get from marriage that you can't have if you remain single, plus you won't run the risk of getting screwed by a legal system that is stacked against you. A prenup can help but corrupt judges can overturn them so they are not reliable protection. Until the laws are changed to be more equitable marriage is not a good deal for the majority of men.

Double V

Wow, so sorry to hear about this. Besides hoping that you find a good attorney I hope that any fellow male frogs who are contemplating marriage are paying attention to this thread and learn something from it. Family courts are corrupt and best serve the interest of women and lawyers. You want to avoid them at all costs.

Bottom line for the guys: there is nothing of substance you can get from marriage that you can't have if you remain single, plus you won't run the risk of getting screwed by a legal system that is stacked against you. A prenup can help but corrupt judges can overturn them so they are not reliable protection. Until the laws are changed to be more equitable marriage is not a good deal for the majority of men.
I don't know man. A good marriage can be pretty awesome. Sadly, it is all too rare. That being said, DEFINITELY don't take the decision to commit the rest of your life and at least half of everything you will ever have to someone else lightly!

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

That's a really cynical view. And old school. As mentioned by someone else, the courts seem to be taking a more fair look nowadays. I just had a friend of mine get full custody of his kids in the Tarrant county courts. A good marriage is perfectly fine. My problem before, and the problem many have, is unintentionally selecting the wrong partner.

froginaustin

You are correct. You want to be the Petitioner. This will be a long journey. Hearing dates will have many weeks between them (get ready for Zoom) and the courts are so backed up. Pack your patience.

You will need a close circle to surround you and your son. Outside that, keep your head down and focus on your work, son, relationships with family, your mental health (counselor), physical health (exercise) and faith if important to you. Not much else will matter and to the extent you keep quiet outside the inner circle, the better off you’ll be.

You are now in a business relationship with your ex. Co-parenting and major negotiations are in your immediate future. Don’t lash out. Plan to bite your tongue on everything. Don’t get even.

Dating - don’t even think about the apps right now. They’re not that great. You’ll find the right one. A year is a good guideline.

This will be the toughest thing you have to go thru but time is on your side. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

From a good friend who has ample experience getting into and out of marriages . . .

"[prominent dating site], where no one is as rich or as young as they claim to be."

Seriously: social media is best avoided. Everyone's respective legal counsel may have social media experts combing the interwebz looking for anything juicy or anything that looks or can be made to look juicy, to put the other side on the defensive.

May be wrong, but the best thing to ever happen to him is his son. Sorry things did not work out with he and the wife. It is the dawn of new opportunities and believe it or not could work out best for the son. Only say that as having gone through it as a child and would not change a thing.

All the warning signs were there. Heck, we dated 6 years before getting married. All My suspicions early were confirmed late. But I have my son and I wouldn't change a thing. But man...what a tough lesson to learn. Anyone in their late 20s/early 30s contemplating marriage HMU...got some wisdom to drop on you.

4 Oaks Frog

Marriage takes commitment, compromise, trust, a lot of effort and the ability to not take any of the four lightly. Mrs. 4Oaks and I have been married for over 51-years, and it not always been easy. It takes more than “want to” to keep it together. It takes work from both sides. When one decides it’s not worth the work, it comes apart.
I’m not sure why it came apart for yall, Phormer, I am just sorry that it did.
And, for those of you who are opposed to marriage because they fear divorce, all I can say is I am sorry for your fear of failure.
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
For the Old Mossbacked Attorneys, who remembers the Buchman column about the attorney who hand wrote his divorce proceeding and printed on it "I filed first!" Or the divorce filing which provided detailed instructions on how to properly drive a stake through the heart of his wife, as she was a vampire...