• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Limey Frog

Dennis Dodd on Sark's future at Texas

He lost at "hottest name on the market".

When I asked my Tea-sip buddy a year ago what he thought about the Sark hire, he told me "it feels like we left Appleby's to go to Chili's". (lol)

It's starting to feel like they left Appleby's to go to a shady food truck where you get diarrhea.

Last edited:

tcufootballjh98

Anyone have any guesses as to where GP might end up? He might have to settle for G5 but I think someone will be interested. I just can't see him being content with a assistant role.

Wexahu

Why?

Are they supposed to announce who they are talking during the season or if they already have a hire planned? What if the potential hire is still coaching for important games, would that be detrimental to him and his ability to do his current job?
They HAVE to move the early signing day, or get rid of it all together. It does a major disservice to coaches and their teams that have to put up with all the speculation right in the middle of their seasons. Whoever thought moving it to a week or two after the season is over was not thinking clearly. What was the point of it anyway? I can't remember.

College football is rapidly becoming like the NBA, where actual results in games don't really seem to matter all that much, what everyone seems to care more about is where coaches are going to be next season, buyouts, contracts, the transfer portal, NIL deals etc.

Gross

Prime BEEF

Anyone have any guesses as to where GP might end up? He might have to settle for G5 but I think someone will be interested. I just can't see him being content with a assistant role.
I think it depends a lot on what coaching spots open up.

I have no idea what his priorities are wrt a coaching opportunity. Does he want to avoid the big 12? Does he want to stay away from the East and west coasts and coach somewhere in the middle part of the country? Does he only want to coach at a P5? Or does he prefer to coach at a G5?

My guess is that I doubt he’d want to stay in the big 12 and I think he’d prefer not to coach at a school on the west or east coasts.

Maybe Nebraska, Colorado St, New Mexico, Arizona or Texas St. those are just WAGs though

Palliative Care

Yes college football is becoming a professional sport like product. It is going through such rapid changes that one gets lost in the game to game reality. So when we win by two and lose the next week by forty is the roller coaster ride that says we are inconsistent and need direction. But the coaching chatter is so loud that we might lose sight of who is the best leader in the group being considered. I for one do not what a long walk through a schedule of wins and loses like the last two weeks. Get me a guy who can lead us through these times soon.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Hitting my forehead over people who think "win by one" was a goal.
Don’t hurt yourself.

GP said it often enough that it was at least a philosophy and at some point there is very little difference. We can argue over semantics but GP said win by one so often that the phrase and attitude became a byword for the program.

As much as I appreciated Gary, win by one made me want hit someone’s head as well

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Given his personality, and his stubbornness, I cannot imagine him landing a Big Job anywhere. He simply isn't the glad-handing, Happy Talking Salesman type. Plus, I'm not real sure he wants a Head Coaching job anymore, because I believe he hated the public relations aspects of it so much. Not to mention the time. Would he be a DC somewhere? Maybe. He wouldn't have all the annoying responsibilities, but would still be doing the two things he loves: Football, and molding/guiding young men. But, he wouldn't do it for just anybody, and there's probably a lot of guys who wouldn't hire him because of personality, or out of fear they'd be pushed out in favor of him later. Plus, it would eat up all his time about as bad as a Head Coaching gig. There's still a lot of West Africa to be seen, and a lot of reefs yet unexplored...

My prediction is that he becomes a Program Mentor or Program Analyst, outside the chain of responsibility, not having to deal with all the aggravation, but still immersed in the world he so loves and able to influence it. And, he would still have time to get out and live while he can still enjoy it.

OICU812

Tuscaloosa sure seems like the fashionable spot for career rehab. Although I’d have serious doubts whether someone like Gary could stomach having to answer to someone like Gary.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Don’t hurt yourself.

GP said it often enough that it was at least a philosophy and at some point there is very little difference. We can argue over semantics but GP said win by one so often that the phrase and attitude became a byword for the program.

As much as I appreciated Gary, win by one made me want hit someone’s head as well
It is coachspeak meaning winning the game is the goal. He said a lot of things repeatedly. That was Gary.

Wexahu

Given his personality, and his stubbornness, I cannot imagine him landing a Big Job anywhere. He simply isn't the glad-handing, Happy Talking Salesman type. Plus, I'm not real sure he wants a Head Coaching job anymore, because I believe he hated the public relations aspects of it so much. Not to mention the time. Would he be a DC somewhere? Maybe. He wouldn't have all the annoying responsibilities, but would still be doing the two things he loves: Football, and molding/guiding young men. But, he wouldn't do it for just anybody, and there's probably a lot of guys who wouldn't hire him because of personality, or out of fear they'd be pushed out in favor of him later. Plus, it would eat up all his time about as bad as a Head Coaching gig. There's still a lot of West Africa to be seen, and a lot of reefs yet unexplored...

My prediction is that he becomes a Program Mentor or Program Analyst, outside the chain of responsibility, not having to deal with all the aggravation, but still immersed in the world he so loves and able to influence it. And, he would still have time to get out and live while he can still enjoy it.
I think he'd have a hard time putting together a staff if he were a HC again, unless he just brought along the same cast of characters, who put up with him because they don't have many other options.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I think he'd have a hard time putting together a staff if he were a HC again, unless he just brought along the same cast of characters, who put up with him because they don't have many other options.
Yep, and any Program who did their due diligence would figure that out pretty quickly. Plus, I can only imagine how an interview with him would go, being Mr. Blunt Spoken and all...