• The KillerFrogs

Did PATTERSON really say this to his players ? Holy Crap !! Man I hope not cuz If so this is really bad.

Did PATTERSON really say this to his players ?

I’m reading between the lines of this post on 247 and if I’m reading this correctly it appears to me that the players were losing on purpose to get rid of Patterson. As an angry response to the players doing this, am I reading it correctly that he told the players in a fit of anger that their stunt isn’t going to work because he (Patterson) is “untouchable” and can’t be fired ?

Maybe Imbreading this Jeremy Clark article wrong but man is sure looks like is what went down. If so, I am just stunned Patterson would say that to his players.

And even more stunned if the players and Paterson disliked each other to the extent this article infers. I thought lol the players loved the guy.

Maybe I read the article wrong but man if he said that...............Wow !

WF

PO Frog

It’s not great journalism for Muck to say “several” people said Patterson said that. He should give a specific number of people who confirmed that. But several sounds like more than two. So I guess it’s believable.

Edit: Jeremy links to an article by Muck.
He subsequently reported it in a post and said that it happened. GP knew his guys quit on him and said the only guys you’re hurting are the assistant coaches because they are the ones that will get fired.

4th. down

The glory days of GP, they were good for him and good for us but over time, his ego took control and instead of him controlling his ego, his ego controlled him. Then the statue came along and he started a losing streak not long after it was erected. The generational landscape has changed, kids are not like they were 20 years ago.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Gary goes in to paranoia mode because players are no longer motivated by his bully behavior?

Don't blame the players for their coach talking crazy to them like he was also doing to the media and fans.
It’s not good but as Mac points out it is not unusual for a coach to accuse players of tanking to get them fired. It’s sort of the final stage of coaching paranoia. The statement is just more evidence that it was time for this relationship to end

Last edited:

Palliative Care

Occam's razor people: is a principle from philosophy. Suppose an event has two possible explanations. The explanation that requires the fewest assumptions is usually correct. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation.

He simply said it to assure the player so they would focus on playing and not him.

PO Frog

Occam's razor people: is a principle from philosophy. Suppose an event has two possible explanations. The explanation that requires the fewest assumptions is usually correct. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation.

He simply said it to assure the player so they would focus on playing and not him.
This is absurd. You don’t have to make assumptions — he said what he said. He was chewing them out, not trying to “assure the player”.

“I know what you’re trying to do” is what was said to them. He said it wouldn’t work because he was untouchable. He was wrong.

TAINTed frog

Regardless. If your coach is resorting to that type of “motivation,” you’re not in a good spot.

Also, half his staff should have been fired years ago.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse

I don’t think your application of Occam’s razor is well-taken but shout out for keeping William of Occam’s name and legacy alive

Pharm Frog

I don’t think your application of Occam’s razor is well-taken but shout out for keeping William of Occam’s name and legacy alive

I think the application was off but the principle is spot on. The one theory that requires the least assumptions is that Gary acted like a paranoid narcissist with pathetically out-of-date motivation technique and the poorest of communication skills.

This is absurd. You don’t have to make assumptions — he said what he said. He was chewing them out, not trying to “assure the player”.

“I know what you’re trying to do” is what was said to them. He said it wouldn’t work because he was untouchable. He was wrong.
Did he actually say "I'm untouchable," or did he say, "these are the guys (assistants) you're gonna hurt?"

Those two things can have completely different meanings. If it was the latter, it's highly likely he was telling the team that they were going to hurt their assistants, and not him, by doing whatever they were doing. It's not a great thing to say, but Gary, more often than not, has a clumsy way of getting his point across, and I can completely see that's what he was trying to do after listening to him all these years.

At the time he made these statements, even Gary had to know that if he wanted to keep his job after this year, a house-cleaning was going to be required.

If he said "I'm untouchable," then that's unforgivable." Terrible lapse in judgment and is an indicator of a guy whose ego had taken over, and an offense worthy of being fired.