• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Moose Stuff

I've seen the details of the Traylor offer and the McGuire offer. I haven't seen the Dykes offer because it doesn't exist. Nothing against Dykes, he's a fine coach and his Dad was special but he was interviewed by Texas Tech and not offered. McGuire really wanted the job and he got it.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Whether or not an offer was ever made to Sonny Dykes has absolutely zero bearing on him not wanting the job. If they didn’t offer it’s because he said no before it ever got that far. Fact remains that McGuire was well down Tech’s list of candidates.

CountryFrog

Perhaps Tech told him they weren't interested....
But why would they interview him if they didn't have interest? Didn't you say that interviews only happen when there's interest?

Look, you guys got turned down by a guy who thought SMU was a better job (or at least as good of a job with the possibility of going to TCU) so I get why you wouldn't want to admit to that. We all know what happened though. No biggie. I'm sure that PAC-12 invite will be announced any day now.

TechAdvisor

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Fact remains that McGuire was well down Tech’s list of candidates.
I'm going to guess we have vastly different definitions what constitutes "well down a list" and leave it at that.

But why would they interview him if they didn't have interest? Didn't you say that interviews only happen when there's interest?

Look, you guys got turned down by a guy who thought SMU was a better job (or at least as good of a job with the possibility of going to TCU) so I get why you wouldn't want to admit to that. We all know what happened though. No biggie. I'm sure that PAC-12 invite will be announced any day now.
Both parties had an interest, that's why they had an interview. Dykes was interviewed and wasn't offered the job, these are things we know to be a fact. I've seen zero evidence or even reports that Dykes turned down an offer. I've seen evidence and reports that Traylor turned down the offer. Why would I acknowledge that a UTSA coach turned Tech down but "wouldn't want to admit" that a SMU coach turned Tech down? That makes no logical sense.

The only thing that would make sense would be that Tech offered Traylor and McGuire but not Dykes, as reported by multiple outlets.

ECM

You specifically said "he wasn't interested". Many people don't interview for jobs they're not interested in.

Didn't interview Kirby Smart, they did interview Sonny Dykes. Tech did interview at least 5 coaches and offered 2, hired 1.
You’re getting hung up on semantics. There’s a reason Joey McGuire’s name wasn’t being tossed around for the Tech job two weeks ago.

CountryFrog

I'm going to guess we have vastly different definitions what constitutes "well down a list" and leave it at that.

Both parties had an interest, that's why they had an interview. Dykes was interviewed and wasn't offered the job, these are things we know to be a fact. I've seen zero evidence or even reports that Dykes turned down an offer. I've seen evidence and reports that Traylor turned down the offer. Why would I acknowledge that a UTSA coach turned Tech down but "wouldn't want to admit" that a SMU coach turned Tech down? That makes no logical sense.

The only thing that would make sense would be that Tech offered Traylor and McGuire but not Dykes, as reported by multiple outlets.
1) So there was interest...

2) No one is disputing that fact that Dykes didn't have an offer. As I said earlier, I'm sure Kirby Smart didn't have an offer either. Doesn't mean Tech wouldn't want him.

3) You did admit to the UTSA coach but with the caveat that he's holding out for Texas. Still, that is a pretty big ouch so I'll give you some credit there.

4) I think there are many other possibilities that would make plenty of sense outside of the one you offered up.

5) Looking forward to kicking y'alls ass again next year.

Moose Stuff

Completely ignoring the idea that the interview ended with Tech realizing Sonny didn’t want the job.

TechAdvisor

You’re getting hung up on semantics. There’s a reason Joey McGuire’s name wasn’t being tossed around for the Tech job two weeks ago.
It certainly was in Tech circles. Both Kinsgbury and Wells attempted to hire McGuire, he was well liked and well known at Texas Tech. He literally fits word for word what Kirby Hocutt said he was looking for in a HC the day they fired Wells.

1) So there was interest...

2) No one is disputing that fact that Dykes didn't have an offer. As I said earlier, I'm sure Kirby Smart didn't have an offer either. Doesn't mean Tech wouldn't want him.

3) You did admit to the UTSA coach but with the caveat that he's holding out for Texas. Still, that is a pretty big ouch so I'll give you some credit there.

4) I think there are many other possibilities that would make plenty of sense outside of the one you offered up.

5) Looking forward to kicking y'alls ass again next year.
1) I obviously acknowledge Dykes had interest in the job and Tech had interest in Dykes....hence an interview. I'm just not sure why everyone on this board is completely convinced that Tech couldn't interview Dykes and pass, how is that not even a possibility you're willing to consider?

2) Where is the evidence or report that Tech wanted, offered and missed out on Dykes?

3) Why would anyone acknowledge that they were turned down by UTSA's HC but too embarrassed to say they were turned down by SMU's HC? My position has nothing to do with embarrassment and everything to do with facts, I state facts regardless of anything else.

4) I'm willing to acknowledge Tech offered and missed out on Dykes if someone wants to link to the report with the offer, I can link to the report with the offer Tech made Traylor and McGuire because I'm not just making crap up out of thin air or stating what I would like to have happened.

CountryFrog

It certainly was in Tech circles. Both Kinsgbury and Wells attempted to hire McGuire, he was well liked and well known at Texas Tech. He literally fits word for word what Kirby Hocutt said he was looking for in a HC the day they fired Wells.

1) I obviously acknowledge Dykes had interest in the job and Tech had interest in Dykes....hence an interview. I'm just not sure why everyone on this board is completely convinced that Tech couldn't interview Dykes and pass, how is that not even a possibility you're willing to consider?

2) Where is the evidence or report that Tech wanted, offered and missed out on Dykes?

3) Why would anyone acknowledge that they were turned down by UTSA's HC but too embarrassed to say they were turned down by SMU's HC? My position has nothing to do with embarrassment and everything to do with facts, I state facts regardless of anything else.

4) I'm willing to acknowledge Tech offered and missed out on Dykes if someone wants to link to the report with the offer, I can link to the report with the offer Tech made Traylor and McGuire because I'm not just making crap up out of thin air or stating what I would like to have happened.
Again, no one is disputing that an offer was never made. That seems to be the crux of every argument you're making but it's not anything that anyone has actually disputed.

I noticed you didn't address point# 5 that I made in my previous post.

SackLunch

fans GIF
Did I confuse you or are you just a huge Urban/Jacksonville fan?

hiphopfroggy

TCU coaching search: Deion Sanders 'squarely in the mix,' per report​

ByRILEY GATES 37 minutes ago

TCU is still in the process of identifying a replacement for legendary head coach Gary Patterson. NFL legend and Jackson State head coach Deion Sanders is a name that has been mentioned. Evidently, he is starting to look like a real possibility. Sanders is “squarely in the mix” for the TCU job, according to a report Tuesday by Drew Davison of the Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram. One source explained to Davison how serious of a candidate Sanders is for the opening.

“I’m not saying he is going to get the job, not saying he’s the leading candidate at this point,” one person said, according to Davison. “But he is in the mix.”

Last week, 247Sports reported that TCU was working to interview Sanders. Chris Hummer reported via a source that the Horned Frogs were "attempting to case a wide net."

https://247sports.com/Article/TCU-c...ers-squarely-in-the-mix-per-report-174919100/

https://nbclim-f.akamaihd.net/i/Pro...6,513250,890808,034172,.mp4.csmil/master.m3u8

FWSTC Hfrog

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Whether or not an offer was ever made to Sonny Dykes has absolutely zero bearing on him not wanting the job. If they didn’t offer it’s because he said no before it ever got that far. Fact remains that McGuire was well down Tech’s list of candidates.
I think this is a silly argument. Tech has a new coach, he either is or isn't going to work out. Time will tell. We'll be able to say the same thing about TCU shortly. What difference does it make who offered who or who got turned down, or whatever? I suppose nobody is privy to 100% of the facts anyway.
He may have been down the list, but after interviews it is evident that he climbed very quickly to the top. As Wex says, time will tell. We may at some point wish their top targets had gotten the job, instead of McGuire. Hope very much I am wrong.

Last edited:

Toad Jones

Interesting lunch with some old suits. All of them part of the TCU herd. I now campaign for Napier as HC. Understand he soo impressed the committee that when the search conversation concluded, many of the committee had visions of greatness. He has coached with Dabo and Saban add top of the line P-5 schools and the resume shines. Told he is very organized with every little detail which becomes a big deal to him. A gentlemen with good communication skills. He charmed the women as well.