• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

4th. down

I’d be happy with any of the names being bandied about but my preference is for Sonny Dykes. Just my 2 cents
It may very well end up being Dykes but he's not my top dog but Chandler would thrive on his watch. If it comes to that, got to have a real good DC that would come with him. Being realistic, we are not going to get a successful Power 5 HC but hopefully we can get one out of the G5 group that doesn't have too much age on him. After that we are at a successful Power 5 OC or DC. All this being said, what if we beat Vegas and +14 and actually win the OSU game straight up? Might want to consider who our resident coach is if he turns this disaster season into a bowl game.

ftwfrog

I actually met the guy that owns this house close to 10 years ago. If you couldn't guess from all the trophies, he went to Africa every year on a hunting trip. I thought I remembered there being a giraffe, but I'm not seeing it in the pictures. Definitely had a unique style, but super nice guy when I met him.
I appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately it got to be quite a nuisance not having an 8th bathroom, so we had to sell.

Big Frog II

I too think Morris would do well with Sonny Dykes as coach. I think we have narrowed this down to some very good candidates. Personally I think Dykes is the better fit and would stay here longer, and his wife would love living on Simondale.

TCUdirtbag

I would like to think longer term. Is this the right guy for the next 5-10 years?

Thinking long term often means settling for mediocrity. You want your coach to be wanted because that means you are succeeding. A successful program amasses top notch resources and reputation. Then if the coach leaves, the program can hire another great coach. Will there be hit and miss hires along the way? Sure. But you build cash piles for that. It’s not the 1990s. We had one of a kind in CGP. In the real world, the carousel turns. Might as well prepare for it instead of wasting time trying to be the exception to the rule.

Wexahu

Thinking long term often means settling for mediocrity. You want your coach to be wanted because that means you are succeeding. A successful program can hire another great coach.

It’s not the 1990s. We had one of a kind in CGP. In the real world, the carousel turns.
I can find a lot of mediocrity in every one of these candidates, if I want to find it.

Mean Purple

espn's one role is to throw [ #2020 ] against the wall simply for reaction and anyone listening to any of the crap they gurgitate needs to start watching infomercials

if you truly believe ohio state is going to fire a guy who is 30-3 and won two consecutive big 10 titles in two seasons because of espn talk i really don't know what to tell you other than i am sorry for you
You seem to love to pop off and misquote/misrepresent people's statements without actually reading what they wrote. I never wrote that I believe that. I just pointed out the [ Finebaum ] he is catching up there. Next time, try reading before popping off. Other than that, I don't really give a scheiss who you feel sorry for.

mcdaddy

You obviously have no idea what is the number one thing they show recruits on visits do you? They are for the donors during games maybe and even during games they show them to their families so NO it's not just for the donors.

The state of Texas is but TCU is not and every major university in the country dedicates at least two coaches to focus on Texas which is why most of our recruits go out of state. With UH joining the Big 12 we just gained another big 12 competitor for kids in the Houston area bc you obviously don't understand Htown kids are but they love Houston and if they can play Big 12 football there they will instead of going to uppity TCU (and that is exactly how our competitors will use the type of student that goes to TCU against us), that's just reality now. Add that with UT going to SEC we just lost any chance at competing with them. So Texas is a hotbed but w/o Gary TCU is now a worse version of SMU and that too is just facts. I would suggest you study up on how this whole process works before firing off BS talking points you read on rivals like "Texas is a hotbed of recruiting"
fans GIF

ECM

Would seem unlikely that they would have Mcguire over Dykes as first pick at Tech. Any word over in Dallas of them upping money and keeping him?
I heard Sonny turned down Tech. We have reportedly offered him ~ $4M/year, expanded asst salary pool and committed to extensive facility upgrades. He’s had the contract in hand for close to a week and hasn’t signed it.

Do you have any insight into what the actual interview process generally looks like? Is the search firm in the room helping ask questions?

Are the candidates expected to be familiar with our school and our players and make a pitch for their vision for our program (dykes and Campbell obviously have much more familiarity with tcu than someone like Napier).

Does tcu spend a lot of time selling themselves?

Curious who has the final say in who is hired. Is it ultimately Donati? Big cigar donors? Boschini?
No.

Yes, to a degree. But most coaches sell their system, approach, brand, and experience first and foremost.

Yes.

All of the above, need consensus and unanimous support for this to work. If there was disagreement and you had to break a tie, I believe VBO would trust CJD and CJD would back the best candidate who gets the most booster support.

So he isn’t earth shaking, but there would be a need to keep it highly secret. If Matt Campbell isnt that (obviously not since he was mentioned), I have absolutely no lead on who that would be.

Is there a chance you could elaborate on “being so far along”? What does that really mean at this juncture considering there’s 3-4 weeks until an announcement is made

Would Campbell being just at the flirting stage while Napier and Dykes are far along hurt his chances I assume?

Is there a material difference between Napier and Dykes in the minds of the decision makers?
When you have, say, your #2 or #3 favorite ready to sign and start and your #1 dragging his feet or delaying, you aren’t incentivized to wait because the risk is you’ll end up with none of them at the end of the day.

There are several candidates who have been interviewed, their vet and background is done, and there is high mutual interest… how long do you wait for something that could never happen down the road?

Regardless of what CJD has said publicly, they hope to have a candidate agree on a terms sheet and announced in the next 1-2 weeks if possible. The sooner, the better for recruiting and player/coach retention. That’s highly possible given the caliber of candidates and mutual interest already on the table.

Campbell will need to engage more actively to be considered, he knows that. He wants things his way, but TCU doesn’t have that luxury. If he wants the job, he needs to go and get it. This is the current open question.

Yes, there is a material difference between Dykes and Napier, mostly style, system, age, and approach. For example, want to retain certain coaches? You’d go Dykes and not Napier. TCU will just need to decide who they want, and who is the better short vs long term bet and what TCU wants right now.