• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

The one piece of the most recent reporting that isn’t squaring is the timing… trying to figure out what changed there. Moving up the invites doesn’t help anything, so I’m guessing Brett might be a little ahead of the ball. I’ll let y’all know if I figure anything.

Ok, making more sense. TCU BOR member just texted this response:

“2024-2025 is still the target date, invites are being pushed to stabilize the league”

OK, back on track.

PDM92

I've had conversations with our admin/athletic dir to urge a vote against adding UH to the Big 12.

One of my metrics for judging programs' strength is how well their fans travel to Bowl games and away games, and UH historically fails miserably and putridly at this. TCU, on the other hand, put enough purple in the stands to fill up their half (45,000) of the Rose Bowl 1,200 miles away- in my opinion, that was a huge factor in us making a huge statement to get invited to the Big12.. I usually go to 3 or 4 of TCU's away games and we fill up our alotment routinely (4,000). If UH can get 40,000 to travel across the country for a bowl game sometime in the next few years, then perhaps they may be worthy. I'm not holding my breath.

UH had 60% of the fans at the sold out Peach Bowl against Fla St. So I guess we check that box too.

netty2424

This whole thing feels like a Flexseal commercial when they guy with the beard that's been colored black, slaps the big patch on the side of the plexiglass container that's leaking an excessive amount of water.

This feels like a short term patch that will fail pretty quickly.

Adding Houston makes no sense other than a quick travel to and from.

Ron Swanson

This whole thing feels like a Flexseal commercial when they guy with the beard that's been colored black, slaps the big patch on the side of the plexiglass container that's leaking an excessive amount of water.

Flexseal isn’t a high quality long term leak solution?

So I have a pinhole in my fuel tank on my boat #humblebrag. You're saying I shouldn't use a piece of flex tape to seal it? Hell, I was planning to saw the boat in get to it and then flex tape it back up.

Last edited:

vicarfrog

Man there is a bunch of weeping and gnashing of teeth on here. What's done is done. I think the rumor of the day is about the best we can do under the circumstances. What's even more important, IMO, is solidify the remaining teams and don't give anybody a reason to go sniffing around for greener grass.

Hell, we might not like this but we must embrace it! A conference full of inglorious basterds can wreck shop and give the world the middle finger while doing it! Let the butthurt run through us! be evil and enjoy playing the basterd.

We must all hang together or assuredly we shall hang separately. Just my opinion.

Go Frogs.

NF

I want to run through a wall after reading the above!

giphy.gif

Eight

the interesting thing about the cougs is history has shown if they don't win they don't draw what a school of that size should draw

a few years back they had 3-4 top 25 teams on campus and they did not break 30k in any of those games if i recall correctly

granted, these were all aac top 25 teams so maybe they weren't a big enough name. last time they played tech in houston they only drew 36k and remember that tech has enough alums/supporters in the houston area that a station in houston broadcast tech games

houston is a pro football city followed by texas, ags, and lsu garnering a large share of peoples attention. the cougs if they win they draw, but dana has yet to have a winning season at houston and while wells at tech is under the gun if dana has another losing season some aren't sure being one of fertita's drinking buddies will keep him in that job.

cougs do have a great basketball coach in sampson, but kelvin is 65 and i don't want to hear about how his son is so involved in everything. being the guy changes things and can he keep the run going

as far as facilities, i laugh about all the cougs have spent. they have, the past decade. how about that wonderful temporary seating fiasco when they hosted texas. sure dodds didn't remember that at all.

finally, the cougs also had as their head coach one of the biggest pieces of [ Finebaum ] ever to walk a sideline in art briles. nothing else needs to be said about art.

a few years back they had 3-4 top 25 teams on campus and they did not break 30k in any of those games if i recall correctly

granted, these were all aac top 25 teams so maybe they weren't a big enough name. last time they played tech in houston they only drew 36k and remember that tech has enough alums/supporters in the houston area that a station in houston broadcast tech games
Discouraging if accurate. Maybe Cougars were woeful that year, with no hope, but still....

Purp

"In just seconds, nearly every shelf in the warehouse was brought down and the worker was caught underneath it all. Miraculously, he was uninjured."

He lived. We good.
I was about to say, as long as the driver stayed inside the compartment he was probably unharmed unless a box or pallet that fell injured him by squeezing under the carriage bars.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I've had conversations with our admin/athletic dir to urge a vote against adding UH to the Big 12.

One of my metrics for judging programs' strength is how well their fans travel to Bowl games and away games, and UH historically fails miserably and putridly at this. TCU, on the other hand, put enough purple in the stands to fill up their half (45,000) of the Rose Bowl 1,200 miles away- in my opinion, that was a huge factor in us making a huge statement to get invited to the Big12.. I usually go to 3 or 4 of TCU's away games and we fill up our alotment routinely (4,000). If UH can get 40,000 to travel across the country for a bowl game sometime in the next few years, then perhaps they may be worthy. I'm not holding my breath.

May not have worked…

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-florida-and-cincinnati/ar-AAO55VZ?li=BBnb7Kz

Eight

Discouraging if accurate. Maybe Cougars were woeful that year, with no hope, but still....

here you go:

they were bad that year going 4-8 and 2-6 in conference play. dana's first year and he rolled the dice a bit if i recall correctly and redshirted some key players while waiting for a few transfers to be eligible the next year.

only problem is he lost his quarterback and things didn't go well the next year as well.

oh, here are the numbers for accuracy sake:

#25 Cincy at Houston 25,716

#16 SMU at Houston 24,543

#18 Memphis at Houston 25,149

#24 Navy because we know the academies have supporters everywhere right? 22, 824

for further accuracy, here is the link to the 2017 game against tech in houston when both teams were 2-0 coming in and klif was still coaching tech. draw was over 36,000+

ironically, the rice game the week before outdrew that game at 38k+ but anyone in the gulf coast KNOWS how crazy the week of the bayou bucket game gets. non stop conversation on sports radio etc.....

LVH

With limited opportunities, UH has beaten Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Arizona (twice), Louisville, Florida St, Miss St., Pittsburg, UCLA, and Vandy.

Not countless, but not insignificant either. UH has earned its way into the Big12. Nothing was given to UH. TCU certainly earned its place as well, but that doesn't diminish what UH has done in the past decade or so. Those who are looking out for the Big12's best interests appear to recognize UH's value, as do the networks.

Now compare conference titles, top 25 finishes, and top 10 finishes since the end of the SWC

Houston doesn't have a lot of those

PDM92

here you go:

they were bad that year going 4-8 and 2-6 in conference play. dana's first year and he rolled the dice a bit if i recall correctly and redshirted some key players while waiting for a few transfers to be eligible the next year.

only problem is he lost his quarterback and things didn't go well the next year as well.

oh, here are the numbers for accuracy sake:

#25 Cincy at Houston 25,716

#16 SMU at Houston 24,543

#18 Memphis at Houston 25,149

#24 Navy because we know the academies have supporters everywhere right? 22, 824

for further accuracy, here is the link to the 2017 game against tech in houston when both teams were 2-0 coming in and klif was still coaching tech. draw was over 36,000+

ironically, the rice game the week before outdrew that game at 38k+ but anyone in the gulf coast KNOWS how crazy the week of the bayou bucket game gets. non stop conversation on sports radio etc.....

Now that you have your chest puffed out, why don't you tell us TCU's average attendance the year before they joined the Big12 and the 5-year average attendance before they joined the Big12. I don't know those numbers, but I know that TCU put an excellent product on the field during that period. Just let us know the numbers. I'm sure they were much better than UH's numbers.