• The KillerFrogs

SMU = Transfer U

PurpleBlood87

Last edited:

Tom Brown

I would take buechele over delton. And I would start him over max right now in week 4. But I’d rather be a frog than a pony forever and always

The part where we as fans and perhaps GP were wrong was that we did not think tha Boochele could gash us with scrambles and beat our pass rush. But he did. He also had enough time to throw deep.
Smu beat us fair and square.

Froggish

The part where we as fans and perhaps GP were wrong was that we did not think tha Boochele could gash us with scrambles and beat our pass rush. But he did. He also had enough time to throw deep.

We had no pass rush and until we get one, average QBs like Buechele will continue to look like world beaters. He’s a good QB but he isn’t anything exceptional. If you have good WRs and enough time just about any reasonable QB on our schedule could beat us..

Tom Brown

We had no pass rush and until we get one, average QBs like Buechele will continue to look like world beaters. He’s a good QB but he isn’t anything exceptional. If you have good WRs and enough time just about any reasonable QB on our schedule could beat us..

Yes. That's my point,the average boochele rushed for 30 net and about 4 1st downs himself. We missed tackles on him and he made the plays we didnt think he could make against us.

H0RNEDFR0G

Yes. That's my point,the average boochele rushed for 30 net and about 4 1st downs himself. We missed tackles on him and he made the plays we didnt think he could make against us.

Sonny Dykes had Gary's defensive signals. Did you notice that a few times on critical 3rd downs SMU dialed up the perfect play? Gary confirmed this in the post game press conference. But you can see it on TV.

Sonny would be yelling the defense to the QB, then Buechele would audible. When we were in man they switched the play to a crossing route concept. When we were in zone the play was changed and a receiver would be sitting, wide open, in the soft spot. From there it was an easy pitch and catch. I could've made some of those throws.

I'm not saying Dykes cheated, signal stealing is part of football. But Shane B had a career day, I think the stolen signals played a huge part.

H0RNEDFR0G

Sonny Dykes has sold the future of the program for winning today. When you put 16 transfers on scholarships it greatly diminishes your ability to grow your team the right way. This shows me that Sonny has no intention of staying at SMU. They should be back to the cellar in no time.

SMU only took 13 scholarship freshmen in 2019.

TCU took 22.

Dana Holgerson did this to WVU in 2017 when he only gave 16 freshman scholarships. His golden boy, transfer QB Will Grier, had 2 years left just like Buechele. At the end of the 2018 season Holgie knew the cupboards were bare, it was time to cut bait.

The difference is that Holgerson knew that WVU was tired of his mediocrity and drunken antics. It was win a B12 title or he knew he'd be looking for a new job anyway so he quit.

Sonny just wants a better job.

I'd put money on him announcing a new job right before the 2020 Bowl Season.

Limey Frog

We had a great pass rush against Arkansas Pine-Bluff.

Hey, let's talk about how you should always schedule a home game to open against a meaningless FCS school because it's a valuable "tune-up"...

Last edited:

Froggish

Sonny Dykes has sold the future of the program for winning today. When you put 16 transfers on scholarships it greatly diminishes your ability to grow your team the right way. This shows me that Sonny has no intention of staying at SMU. They should be back to the cellar in no time.

SMU only took 13 scholarship freshmen in 2019.

TCU took 22.

Dana Holgerson did this to WVU in 2017 when he only gave 16 freshman scholarships. His golden boy, transfer QB Will Grier, had 2 years left just like Buechele. At the end of the 2018 season Holgie knew the cupboards were bare, it was time to cut bait.

The difference is that Holgerson knew that WVU was tired of his mediocrity and drunken antics. It was win a B12 title or he knew he'd be looking for a new job anyway so he quit.

Sonny just wants a better job.

I'd put money on him announcing a new job right before the 2020 Bowl Season.

Interesting take but it’s not 1990 anymore. The system itself that allows easier transferring means that the type of players Sonny brought in will be available year after year..I expect most programs to fill holes from the portal and take less HS kids every year..It made perfect since for Sonny and a team that had a talent issue

Tom Brown

Interesting take but it’s not 1990 anymore. The system itself that allows easier transferring means that the type of players Sonny brought in will be available year after year..I expect most programs to fill holes from the portal and take less HS kids every year..It made perfect since for Sonny and a team that had a talent issue

Just like the OU QB position is becoming UK basketball.

GoFrog Yourself

Sonny Dykes had Gary's defensive signals. Did you notice that a few times on critical 3rd downs SMU dialed up the perfect play? Gary confirmed this in the post game press conference. But you can see it on TV.

Sonny would be yelling the defense to the QB, then Buechele would audible. When we were in man they switched the play to a crossing route concept. When we were in zone the play was changed and a receiver would be sitting, wide open, in the soft spot. From there it was an easy pitch and catch. I could've made some of those throws.

I'm not saying Dykes cheated, signal stealing is part of football. But Shane B had a career day, I think the stolen signals played a huge part.
then why don’t we change the signals every year? Considering we play 10 of the same teams every year it’s lazy coaching not to. If he has insider info I can’t blame him for using it and gary should expect him to as well

Eight

then why don’t we change the signals every year? Considering we play 10 of the same teams every year it’s lazy coaching not to. If he has insider info I can’t blame him for using it and gary should expect him to as well

during the college football play off games there was an exchange between patterson and dana holgerson in the coaches room channel where dana starts doing some of gary's signs and then calling the defense.

this isn't a new problem as well as teams having picked up some tendencies.

H0RNEDFR0G

I think we do change the signals every year. I don't think he stole them in the sense that they were the exact same signals. I think it was easier for him to "crack the code" than it would be for any other opposing coach.

Once you've been "on the inside" and you understand the basis of the signal calling system, changing up a few things would still make it pretty decipherable. It seems that Gary underestimated his old pal.

I wish there were another way to do it, but Gary coaches the guys so much from the sideline that it would be difficult to have the defense look at someone else or a play-card. I think if it were that simple he would've figured out another way by now. I don't think we'll see Gary in the press box and 2 decoy playcallers with 1 real playcaller on the field.

Last edited:

TCU_backer

H

Horse [ Finebaum ]. If Gary Patterson is that lazy to not change his signals, we are in worse shape than I thought.

H0RNEDFR0G

H

Horse [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]. If Gary Patterson is that lazy to not change his signals, we are in worse shape than I thought.

Did you watch the post game press conference? I'm not making this stuff up. It's close to ver batum what Gary said.

So just for clarification, are you calling our coach a liar, or lazy, or a lazy liar?

Eight

H

Horse [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]. If Gary Patterson is that lazy to not change his signals, we are in worse shape than I thought.

tenor.gif