• The KillerFrogs

LHCGP has a Leadership Problem

Eight

I have no idea what Gary teaches other than the 4-2-5 and that there are consequences for misbehavior.

you mean the 3-3-5 because in that second half when kansas never punted or turned the ball over i saw a great deal more of the 3-3-5 than the 4-2-5

funny thing is 2 years ago in lawrence the second half looked really similar in tcu running a 3-3-5, kansas having free receivers on crossing routes, but 3 missed kansas field goals saved tcu and gary's defense that day

maybe gary should pay more attention to history

Putt4Purple

Jug, can you tell me our final rankings the last 5 years?

How about the last 10 years?

And now you're lecturing CGP about leadership?

I get you're frustrated. So am I. But I'm not about to lecture CGP about anything relating to his program. If this type of play continues into next year, then I'll start to question him. But not yet.

I agree with everything you stated and will add coach GP has had personal issues this year about his mother. Understandably distracting and a lack of possible focus. I/we should absolutely be patient. I trust GP. Bad year it is, but be patient.

The TCU Football Jerk

Jug, can you tell me our final rankings the last 5 years?

How about the last 10 years?

And now you're lecturing CGP about leadership?

I get you're frustrated. So am I. But I'm not about to lecture CGP about anything relating to his program. If this type of play continues into next year, then I'll start to question him. But not yet.

Look at the holes in those last few years though. And be careful using past performance as an indicator of future success. Many great companies and nations once ruled the world and now don't even exist anymore. Some are blindsided by a changing world and its too late to adapt, some never even acknowledge a changing world and just get eaten by it.

The TCU Football Jerk

you mean the 3-3-5 because in that second half when kansas never punted or turned the ball over i saw a great deal more of the 3-3-5 than the 4-2-5

funny thing is 2 years ago in lawrence the second half looked really similar in tcu running a 3-3-5, kansas having free receivers on crossing routes, but 3 missed kansas field goals saved tcu and gary's defense that day

maybe gary should pay more attention to history

I'm thinking the 3-3-5 is more a factor of trying to cover for our safeties being decimated this year. That's the only thing I can think of.

Eight

I'm thinking the 3-3-5 is more a factor of trying to cover for our safeties being decimated this year. That's the only thing I can think of.

so you cover for them by asking them to cover longer?

give them fewer things to focus on and bring pressure.

i keep saying this but the defensive scheme in the second half looked a great deal like what gary did in 2016 in lawrence and the frogs got ripped apart by the kansas offense then as well.

Pharm Frog

I do not think what most of you are calling a 3-3-5 (Stack 3) is actually what we are running when we go to 3 down. But admittedly I was only listening to the game this week so can’t say for sure.

Eight

I do not think what most of you are calling a 3-3-5 (Stack 3) is actually what we are running when we go to 3 down. But admittedly I was only listening to the game this week so can’t say for sure.

pharm,

i haven't called it a 3-3-5 stack because as far as i know that isn't what they are running.

first, the linebackers are so far back and spread a good part of the time they are inviting the run, but don't fill nearly fast enough

second, they are not running the stunts and blitz packages similar to wvu or as you pointed out the old desert swarm defense of arizona

maybe gary is trying to protect the safeties, but asking them to cover longer isn't what i think of as helping, the linebackers looked clueless in coverage, and there is no pass rush in the second half because the front was worn out

the worst part to me is this looks like what gary did in 2016 in lawrence and they got shredded that day as well

Pharm Frog

Do we have 3 LBs on the field? I know there’s sometimes marginal difs between certain safety positions and certain LB positions but I saw mostly 3-2-6 according to our designations in past weeks. But we are most definitely inviting the run AND trying to contain the underneath routes. And we are most definitely confused by receiver run-off routes.

The TCU Football Jerk

so you cover for them by asking them to cover longer?

give them fewer things to focus on and bring pressure.

i keep saying this but the defensive scheme in the second half looked a great deal like what gary did in 2016 in lawrence and the frogs got ripped apart by the kansas offense then as well.

Hey, I'm not saying I agree, just theorizing. I can't think of any other explanation than he wants another lb out in coverage.

Wexahu

Do we have 3 LBs on the field? I know there’s sometimes marginal difs between certain safety positions and certain LB positions but I saw mostly 3-2-6 according to our designations in past weeks. But we are most definitely inviting the run AND trying to contain the underneath routes. And we are most definitely confused by receiver run-off routes.

The combination of a 3-man rush and LBs and Safeties who have a hard time recognizing where to be and who to cover is just brutal, and that's what it appears like is happening to me.

Eight

you are correct in that i was counting wallow still as a linebacker

Armadillo

Look at the holes in those last few years though. And be careful using past performance as an indicator of future success. Many great companies and nations once ruled the world and now don't even exist anymore. Some are blindsided by a changing world and its too late to adapt, some never even acknowledge a changing world and just get eaten by it.

I guess you didn't read the last paragraph of my post. But I'll be careful nonetheless since you recommended it. Thanks for the heads up!

JugbandFrog

1) Great Teachers are hard to find, and, even harder, to keep in the clasroom. They are like NFL RBs in that the work takes a toll. Don’t even tell me about “all that time off.” When I was a teacher, I’d routinely work 12-14 hour days, my sundays were basically shot, and most of my Saturdays as well. Whenever I could get away to a TCU game, I tried to use it as an incentive for my kids so I had an EXCUSE to go to the game. Even then, my “summers” were spent in summer school, then the 3 weeks I had off, I’d spend two of them prepping my classtoom for the upcoming year. Teaching isn’t about knowledge of the subject as it is knowledge of the craft of teaching.

2) I understand that LHCGP is at the top of his game as a defensive mind and injuries have a lot to do with our issues, however the TEAM is struggling, and more than a few of the issues point to the coaching. True, I don’t know LHCGP says inside the locker rooms and meetings, but his responses remind me an awful lot of the Principal in the scenario I was presented with. Unlike coaching, school leaders cannot afford to have “down” years or “rebuilding” years, so while yes, “in theory” this is what I’d suggest, but it is also the sound leadership decision. It is clear that our coaches have struggled for a while now, and when they leave here they continue to struggle. A good program/coach produces good coaches not for the betterment of the coach, but for the betterment of the program.

In the past, LHCGP could be a one man show, but it is clear that he needs help. The defense has not been the same since Bumpas left.

My suggestion is simply the same suggestion I would recommend as a leader of a school or a school district.

3) I also like, um distractions, and I would name them, but I fear that my recognition of an attempt to bring some levity to the discussion may undermine my point, and is not becoming of an educational leader such as myself.

Surfrog

Good Greif - yall need some football 101:

Our Base is a 4-2-5.

We have a NICKEL package - 4-1-6 and a DIME package 3-2-6. Often if there is a tight end, two running backs or whatever the strong safety is lined up like a linebacker but he is still a flipping safety. We do not, have not, and will never have three LB's in the game at the same time.

Last edited:

Surfrog

Jug, I think you need to analyze the definition of leadership more. Gary is not a micromanager, never will be. He knows his lane and stays in it. He is a defensive ball coach. He is not and never will be a bob stoops or mark richt who carry a clipboard marking checkboxes at practice. He coaches defense and lets the offensive staff do their own thing, yet meets with them about game review, game plan etc.

Right now, I think we have too many defensive coaches who have been in the system too long or been internally promoted too much. Therefore, lack the audacity to question a call made by Coach P.

Coach Bump coached with Gary from the beginning and they had a different relationship:

Corners Coach - Modkins, played under coach P, internally promoted from analyst position.
Safteys - Gonzales, internally promoted from GA position. Played baseball.
LB's - Glasgow, Coached with patterson at TCU 12+ years. Tried to go to Tech where he was fired after one year and came back to TCU with his tail tucked.
DE - Sharp, Special teams coach, former tightend coach. Converted DL coach.
DT - Fitch, Former hs relations, played under coach P.