• The KillerFrogs

scheiss Lincoln Riley

Peacefrog

Degenerate
For the record the Big 12 rule did not take away anything from him. HE took it away from himself when he decided to transfer to another school. It was HIS decision that did it not the rule. The rule was not a secret.
Yep. He knew the rules but figured they wouldn't apply to him. Like sportsmanship.

I'm still amazed how many people are ok with his antics this weekend because KU didn't shake his hand. Yet, it is a very safe assumption that they didn't shake his hand because of the way he acts.

I'm sorry you have to live near Sooners.

TCUdirtbag

For the record the Big 12 rule did not take away anything from him. HE took it away from himself when he decided to transfer to another school. It was HIS decision that did it not the rule. The rule was not a secret.

Yep. He didn’t have to go to one of the nine schools the rule applied to. He had options.

MAcFroggy

If it was a big 12 rule, then it is not a big deal that the big 12 voted to give it back to him.

Pharm Frog

Wasn't it overturned because 1) According to the NCAA rules, he could have still played in '17 as a grad transfer (just not in the Big 12), and 2) The Big 12 pretty much knew that there was no way it would stand up if Mayfield challenged it in court?

I can't remember how the whole thing went down but as I recall the Big 12's hands were pretty tied.

Nope. The Big 12 denied it at least once and maybe twice but Boren twisted arms and necks and threw his OU weight around to get it changed AND retroactively unapplied. Some conferences still have this rule unless changed recently. If BM had transferred to Iowa State or Kansas, or Baylor, or Kansas State, he would have been done last year.

Pharm Frog

If it was a big 12 rule, then it is not a big deal that the big 12 voted to give it back to him.

There was nothing to give back. He forfeited it by going to OU when he could have transferred to 115 other D1 schools and all others. Why did the Big 12 grant that waiver after denying it? Did they have his academic best interests in mind? Did they think he needed another year to mature into an adult?

Zubaz

Nope. The Big 12 denied it at least once and maybe twice but Boren twisted arms and necks and threw his OU weight around to get it changed AND retroactively unapplied. Some conferences still have this rule unless changed recently. If BM had transferred to Iowa State or Kansas, or Baylor, or Kansas State, he would have been done last year.
Did some more digging. They rejected the initial proposal to allow walk-on transfers without losing the year, then accepted a different proposal the next day with the addendum that it was only allowed if there was no written scholarship offer. The reason was according to the NCAA rules, Mayfield was always going to be eligible for 2017. That never changed. He just wouldn't have been eligible in the Big 12, forcing him to transfer to another conference. From the conference's perspective that made little sense.

I can't find anything about a legal challenge, not sure if that was just unspoken or if I'm thinking of something else.

Pharm Frog

Yep. He knew the rules but figured they wouldn't apply to him. Like sportsmanship.

I'm still amazed how many people are ok with his antics this weekend because KU didn't shake his hand. Yet, it is a very safe assumption that they didn't shake his hand because of the way he acts.

I'm sorry you have to live near Sooners.

Trying like hell to move. House has been on the market since June. Really have had no problems living in Oklahoma and kind of enjoyed it actually. I've enjoyed every place I've lived in fact.

MAcFroggy

You’re trying way too hard in this thread. I see you’re a MAc Frog. Are you a BBA Sooner? Or do you just want to be the one to accept the offer baker made to the KU players?

No, I am not. I have a BBA and MAc from TCU. I am a TCU Football and basketball season ticket holder. I just get tired of many of the people on here acting like TCU never does anything wrong and that Patterson is this guiding light for college football to follow. All coaches have to make decisions in regards to discipline based on what they think is best for the individual. Many times they make mistakes (including Patterson). I think too many people get wrapped up in the punitive nature of college football coaches' punishments and never stop to think what is actually best for the individual. Sometimes it is a suspension. Other times it is community service. Not every person is the same, and I think coaches know these players much better than us. Not every little thing needs to be a suspension.

In this particular incident, I just do not think his taunting is deserving of a suspension. Obviously, Lincoln Riley thinks he needs to punish Mayfield in some way, so he has taken away his captaincy and him being a starter for senior day. As casual fans, we probably do not think that is a big deal. For the players on that team, it might be. Being a captain of a college football team is a big deal as it shows the coaches and other players believe in you. It is something that Mayfield has probably worked very hard to receive. I would think this is a pretty big punishment in Mayfield's eyes.

Chongo94

No, I am not. I have a BBA and MAc from TCU. I am a TCU Football and basketball season ticket holder. I just get tired of many of the people on here acting like TCU never does anything wrong and that Patterson is this guiding light for college football to follow. All coaches have to make decisions in regards to discipline based on what they think is best for the individual. Many times they make mistakes (including Patterson). I think too many people get wrapped up in the punitive nature of college football coaches' punishments and never stop to think what is actually best for the individual. Sometimes it is a suspension. Other times it is community service. Not every person is the same, and I think coaches know these players much better than us. Not every little thing needs to be a suspension.

In this particular incident, I just do not think his taunting is deserving of a suspension. Obviously, Lincoln Riley thinks he needs to punish Mayfield in some way, so he has taken away his captaincy and him being a starter for senior day. As casual fans, we probably do not think that is a big deal. For the players on that team, it might be. Being a captain of a college football team is a big deal as it shows the coaches and other players believe in you. It is something that Mayfield has probably worked very hard to receive. I would think this is a pretty big punishment in Mayfield's eyes.

Yet again, FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME, it is not just about this one single incident. Moreover, had any one of his prior occurrences been properly punished, I'd wager most people wouldn't even be having this conversation in this same form today.

jake102

I think too many people get wrapped up in the punitive nature of college football coaches' punishments and never stop to think what is actually best for the individual. Sometimes it is a suspension. Other times it is community service. Not every person is the same, and I think coaches know these players much better than us. Not every little thing needs to be a suspension.

It just seems very confusing that this behavior continues, week after week. Hard to imagine a TCU or Alabama player having a season long character problem. It would seem Riley does NOT know what punishment is best to stop this behavior

Pharm Frog

It just seems very confusing that this behavior continues, week after week. Hard to imagine a TCU or Alabama player having a season long character problem. It would seem Riley does NOT know what punishment is best to stop this behavior

Maybe not but tearing up at a presser about having to administer such modest discipline sure makes it look like he's a firm leader. Nobody died or suffered a career ending injury. Would have had to call out the crash cart for a half-game suspension and the coroner for a full-game I guess.

Wexahu

Rolando McClain managed to play 3 years at Alabama and never miss a game for anything. He was a walking character problem, suspension after suspension the NFL, yet always found a way to make it on the field in Tuscaloosa. Interesting.

OICU812

Look I dislike Mayfield as much as the next guy, but if Trevone did something similar we would have been agreeable with this punishment.

Disagree Bigly.
Look at the closest comparison you can make between the two players in terms of similar incidents:

TB goes out of town, gets in a drunken scrape with police and Gary tells him to, "[ get out of here ], your career is done here, son."

BM goes out of down, gets in a drunken scrape with police and Linc (or was it Booby?) tells him, "Oh, how awful, you poor dear do you need a hug? Here's this apology from our PR peeps, post it on your twitter."

And hindsight, maybe this is the kind of [ Finebaum ] that made Stoops say, "Who needs this [ Finebaum ]?"

MAcFroggy

Disagree Bigly.
Look at the closest comparison you can make between the two players in terms of similar incidents:

TB goes out of town, gets in a drunken scrape with police and Gary tells him to, "[ get out of here ], your career is done here, son."

BM goes out of down, gets in a drunken scrape with police and Linc (or was it Booby?) tells him, "Oh, how awful, you poor dear do you need a hug? Here's this apology from our PR peeps, post it on your twitter."

And hindsight, maybe this is the kind of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] that made Stoops say, "Who needs this [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]?"

This worked out really well for TB in the long run. He has been clean as a whistle since he left.