• The KillerFrogs

The Exponent Telegram: 'Western Virginia' barbs are good natured fun

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
'Western Virginia' barbs are good natured fun

By Bob Hertzel Sports Columnist

MORGANTOWN — As someone raised in New Jersey I feel the right to possess empathy for West Virginia and its fine citizens.

It’s highly possible that other than those from West Virginia it is Jerseyites who take the most grief.

I didn’t understand it until I went to Missouri, where my “des” and “dos” accent and “youse guys” English not only had people making fun, but caused them to send me to a non-credit class to take remedial English.

Read more at https://www.theet.com/sports/wvu/we...cle_b0373b49-0995-51ab-bda2-d8a06b6e5393.html

Lone Frog

"caused them to send me to a non-credit class to take remedial English"

Given the proliferation of typos and grammatical errors in this story, not to mention the wince-inducing awkward writing and near-constant passive voice, I'm gonna say it's a good thing his remedial English class was non-credit.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I think he’s fishing for a reaction there.

Don't be so sure, remember the Game Day geniuses didn't know it was a lizard.

I wish we would incorporate lizard into our vocabulary for cheers, etc so the ignorance of the people that named our mascot force the unknowing to keep up this amphibious nomenclature.

Brog

I wish we would incorporate lizard into our vocabulary for cheers, etc so the ignorance of the people that named our mascot force the unknowing to keep up this amphibious nomenclature.

No, I like Frog better than Lizard. Let's stick to Frog.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
No, I like Frog better than Lizard. Let's stick to Frog.

Wasn't suggesting a name change just slip lizard into our lingo on occasion to let people know. Like at the basketball games calling it the home of the leaping lizards or something when the team is announced...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Not sure how anyone could look at the horned lizard and not know it is a reptile, lizard, mini-dinosaur, anything but an actual frog.

Long Time Lurker

They asked the lizard vs toad question on Jeopardy a couple of weeks back. Maybe it was cash cab. They showed a picture of a Horny Toad, identifying it as a reptile or lizard was the objective. The contestants had no clue.

Double V

I thought feeling oats was when a horse gets all excited and prance around a field after being fed...who knew he was also a football coach?

FrogCop19

"caused them to send me to a non-credit class to take remedial English"

Given the proliferation of typos and grammatical errors in this story, not to mention the wince-inducing awkward writing and near-constant passive voice, I'm gonna say it's a good thing his remedial English class was non-credit.

Here are some of the more...egregious errors.

"But here’s the point. It’s all in fun, this banter going on between WVU and TCU, meaningful in that it shows this what’s coming up this weekend is a huge game for both schools."

This second one is so blatantly obvious it's actually uncomfortable to read:

"But we’re above poking fun at a fly snapping amphibian mascot, but we’re not above trying to earn some respect for our state, at least enough so that the world understands that it’s university is not named 'Western Virginia University'."

I've never heard of "innocently -- and enough":

"It started innocently — and enough when on a Philadelphia Eagles broadcast former Mountaineer cornerback Rasul Douglas was referred to on the graphic that read “LAST SEASON: 8 INT LAST WITH WESTERN VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY.”

How do you figure?
Prior to the civil war West Virginia was a section of Virginia which supported the Union. During the war (I believe around 1862) WV was allowed to succeed from Virginia and be admitted to the Union as a new state. since was using the constitution when saying that the Confederate states were still states, an interesting situation arises. My personal opinion based on a great deal of reading over the years (I'm an old man and a Civil War enthusiast) My personal opinion is that Lincoln was a POS tyrant who could easily moved on to become a Hitler type if he hadn't been killed, but that is for another day and another forum. Please, I am not trying to stir the pot.

Frog-in-law1995

Prior to the civil war West Virginia was a section of Virginia which supported the Union. During the war (I believe around 1862) WV was allowed to succeed from Virginia and be admitted to the Union as a new state. since was using the constitution when saying that the Confederate states were still states, an interesting situation arises. My personal opinion based on a great deal of reading over the years (I'm an old man and a Civil War enthusiast) My personal opinion is that Lincoln was a POS tyrant who could easily moved on to become a Hitler type if he hadn't been killed, but that is for another day and another forum. Please, I am not trying to stir the pot.

GIF-Staring-GIF.gif

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan

Something like this? MOBILE, AGILE, HOSTILE...REPTILE.