• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why ESPN’s ‘GameDay’ passed on TCU at Oklahoma State

WhatTheFrog

I think it's stupid that they are broadcasting from a non-game location and there isn't a major reason for being there (9/11, etc.). Even if they didn't go to Stoolwater, they should be somewhere that there's a game going on.

The fact that we are undefeated in games played where the show is broadcast from would have been a good reason for them to be in Stoolwater, too. If CGP can be superstitious about the black shirt change, I can be superstitious about this program, right?

WhatTheFrog

Let me preface this by saying that I currently live in New York and yes, Gameday should have gone to Stillwater.

But I don't think this is as awful an idea as people are making it out to be. While New York as a whole doesnt care about college football, there are tons of transplants here, and you can find a bar to watch almost any school's game. If a fraction of those people show up, the set will be packed. And it might be interesting to see fans of so many different schools - there's certainly more material for signs to work with.

Now watch the audience only be tourists who saw cameras while walking through Times Square.
We expect to see you there waving a big TCU flag!

TCU2002

This is a classic "eye off the ball" moment. They can spin it however they like, but College Game Day is a celebration of excellence in college football and the passion for the sport found on college campuses. The show does not belong in New York City.

I guess ESPN has become bored with their own concept. This isn't the end of CGD or anything like that, but this is just not a decision that makes any sense to me.

froginmn

Let me preface this by saying that I currently live in New York and yes, Gameday should have gone to Stillwater.

But I don't think this is as awful an idea as people are making it out to be. While New York as a whole doesnt care about college football, there are tons of transplants here, and you can find a bar to watch almost any school's game. If a fraction of those people show up, the set will be packed. And it might be interesting to see fans of so many different schools - there's certainly more material for signs to work with.

Now watch the audience only be tourists who saw cameras while walking through Times Square.
You really need to go there in Frog gear with a sign that says "why aren't we in Stillwater? "

Do it for KF.c!

FBallFan123

It's been suggested that it may have had something to do with this....

https://www.thestreet.com/story/143...-out-abc-espn-in-new-york-tri-state-area.html

Cable Contract Dispute Could Black Out ABC, ESPN in New York Tri-State Area

French cable company Altice USA Inc. (ATUS) , which acquired cable provider Cablevision in 2016, is in contract negotiations with Disney Co. (DIS - Get Report) that could result in the black out of ABC and ESPN, among other channels, in the New York tri-state area if a deal is not struck before the current contract expires on September 30.

NBC News sources said Disney is looking for a "gigantic" rate increase for the right to broadcast its package of channels. If the two companies cannot come to terms on a new contract, blackouts of Disney channels for Altice subscribers are possible.

AroundWorldFrog

Get out there with some TCU gear.

PS. Is anyone awake in NYC that early on a Saturday morning?

FBallFan123

I kinda like that they did not go to this game.

No need to hype up OSU and their fans more than they already are.

It's also an early game, the loser isn't necessarily out of the conference championship game.

I too am glad CGD won't be at the game, for TCU reasons only, but that's really a completely separate issue from whether CGD should be at an actual game this weekend.

CGD is just not interesting, informative, or entertaining, to me, so I don't really care that much (although I might've tuned in to parts of it if it was at TCU@OSU)...this move just saves me from even caring about the show.

If this gets viewers upset at ESPN and they have fewer viewers for the show and the channel, that's all fine with me.

AroundWorldFrog

The crowd will consist of:
A guy in a spiderman suit,
A guy in a superman suit,
A girl in a wonder woman suit,
2 naked chicks in full body paint, and
A guy playing a guitar in his underwear.

None of which have ever set foot on a college campus.....I've been to NYC....
Are those the tourists or homeless people?

HToady

The closest P5 school to New York City is Rutgers, over 1 hour away....and they are playing at Nebraska tomorrow.