• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: IMAGE: History of TCU baseball–from the TCU Diamond to Lupton Stadium

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
tcu-diamond-336x227.jpg

TCU 360: IMAGE: History of TCU baseball–from the TCU Diamond to Lupton Stadium

By Madeline Hamm

As TCU baseball players step foot into their newly renovated $7.5 million facilities, it seems impossible that this same program was nearly dropped from the athletic department in 2000.

Before TCU baseball called the Charlie and Marie Lupton Stadium home, the baseball facilities, or “TCU Diamond” were located next to Amon G. Carter Stadium in what was formerly known as the Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.

The TCU Diamond had bleacher seating accommodating up to 1,500 fans and hosted 1,480 TCU baseball games over 41 years, according to TCU baseball records.

The field consisted of a couple of bleachers, a small press box and restrooms and concessions that were located inside the coliseum. Not to mention the baseball locker room was located in the visiting team’s locker room.

“I wouldn’t classify it as a good high school field,” said Chuck LaMendola, play-by-play commentator and voice of the Frogs for the past 20 years. ...

Read the rest at https://www.tcu360.com/2016/03/image-history-of-tcu-baseball-from-the-tcu-diamond-to-lupton-stadium/

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I think the picture saying TCU Field in 77 is earlier. By 77 DMC should be visible. Some of those show the field closer to Amon Carter.

Used to love watching opposing outfielders try to climb the cement purple hill to chase down balls rolling up there. Not easy in steel spikes. Dave Elmendorf, Aggie All American in football and baseball broke his nose trying to do that once, I believe.

There used to be an astronomical observatory at the top of that hill. Mickey McCarty hit a ball over it that may still be going.

Old White Wolf was a terror at that old park with his booming voice. OU had a coach names Enos Seymour. OU had just come out in their new grey double knits and his were skin tight. Old Enos must have been going commando and/or very proud of his attributes which didn't go unnoticed by Farkas. At every half inning he would announce - "still coaching on the third base line, number 4 (or whatever it was) Enos the penis...". The OU bench was even laughing. I think he may have put a cup on after a few innings of that.

jack the frog

Hoosierfrog said:
I think the picture saying TCU Field in 77 is earlier. By 77 DMC should be visible. Some of those show the field closer to Amon Carter.

Used to love watching opposing outfielders try to climb the cement purple hill to chase down balls rolling up there. Not easy in steel spikes. Dave Elmendorf, Aggie All American in football and baseball broke his nose trying to do that once, I believe.

There used to be an astronomical observatory at the top of that hill. Mickey McCarty hit a ball over it that may still be going.

Old White Wolf was a terror at that old park with his booming voice. OU had a coach names Enos Seymour. OU had just come out in their new grey double knits and his were skin tight. Old Enos must have been going commando and/or very proud of his attributes which didn't go unnoticed by Farkas. At every half inning he would announce - "still coaching on the third base line, number 4 (or whatever it was) Enos the penis...". The OU bench was even laughing. I think he may have put a cup on after a few innings of that.

Anyone recall when that observatory went away? 

jack the frog

Tom Brown said:
My memory ain't what it used to be but my guess is late 80's

Thanks. I probably would never have thought of that again but is sounded real familiar when it was mentioned. I graduated in 86.

froghair

Went to a few games back in the 60's early 70's and laid down on the bleachers.  Plenty of room to do that back then.  Seems like the front gate was always open and don't remember ever having to pay to get in.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
MadFrog said:
I was in those old bleachers the day John Grace pitch a perfect game. I actually caught a foul ball from a ball that he had pitched and was fouled off.
Was that against Trinity or Pan Am? Grace was a junk pitcher which made it even more amazing. Johnny was a nice guy too...

RufeBruton

froghair said:
Went to a few games back in the 60's early 70's and laid down on the bleachers.  Plenty of room to do that back then.  Seems like the front gate was always open and don't remember ever having to pay to get in.
Could have written these exact words. Horizontal repose on the bleachers with no cash outlay.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
MadFrog said:
Hoosierfrog, I think it was Pan American. As I recall, it was only a 7 inning game. Must have been part of a double header, but I don't recall.
Sounds about right, forgot the double headers had one shortened game.