• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU taps receivers coach to replace Fuente

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU taps receivers coach to replace Fuente

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Rusty Burns will be the TCU Horned Frogs' quarterback coach in the Poinsettia Bowl, head coach Gary Patterson said Thursday evening on his radio show.

Burns, 56, will take over for former co-offensive coordinator Justin Fuente, who took the head coaching job at Memphis last week. Burns is a likely candidate to replace Fuente as co-offensive coordinator with Jarrett Anderson.

Burns, who has coached from the press box along with Fuente in the past, will most likely fill Fuente's play-calling role when 18th-ranked TCU (10-2) plays Louisiana Tech (8-4) at 7 p.m. Wednesday in San Diego.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/12/15/3598972/tcu-taps-receivers-coach-to-replace.html#ixzz1ghSuWWH7

Burner1

Tier 1
Note this story says only that the move is for the bowl. However, it seems likely to be permanent unless problems emerge during bowl prep. Good time for Anderson and Burns to work together.

What I like about the article is that we sold out our allotment or almost all of it. We do not need to lose money going to this bowl game. Luckly, CA is like a second home for TCU and San Diego is a great destination. And I am also glad TCU will be waiting till end of season to hire someone. Time to evaluate and interview- find the next great recruiter (hopefully).

angelo's frog

What I like about the article is that we sold out our allotment or almost all of it. We do not need to lose money going to this bowl game. Luckly, CA is like a second home for TCU and San Diego is a great destination. And I am also glad TCU will be waiting till end of season to hire someone. Time to evaluate and interview- find the next great recruiter (hopefully).

Since the allotment was only 3,000, it wouldn't be too hard to sell most of that just by having alumni and students from So Cal buy tickets. The bowl may not pay too much but at least they don't make you buy a crazy number of tickets so that you lose money on that as well as travel costs.

Houston Frog

Note this story says only that the move is for the bowl. However, it seems likely to be permanent unless problems emerge during bowl prep. Good time for Anderson and Burns to work together.
In an interview with Tyler Matthews from a couple days ago, Tyler said that it looked like Burns was gonna be taking over for Fuente going forward, so I'm pretty sure this is for more than just the bowl game.

Gunner

Be fun to see how GP handle this. He has gone for past friends or hiring young guys some. Haverty, Bumpass, Anderson, Glasgow, etc. Think he had some previous experience with Jennings.

Not always tho, brought in Tademy who brought us some players with him. Eddie Willy and Sharp were outsiders too. Burns was a volunteer coach for a year before he got the WR job.

He will go with Burns and Anderson because they are known and proven. Burns has played QB in his past and been an offensive coordinator before. I think you need to have played that hazardous position before you can coach it... He will do fine as the QB coach.

The question will be can we call plays as well without Fuente. Anderson was interviewed at the Rose Bowl and it was interesting to hear him when asked if co coordinators ever had disputes on choosing plays. Anderson said, "oh heck, we argue all the time what to do". Now that is a good sign of folks getting along.. Bet they can get it done without Fuente and you know people will be watchin' at the Poinsettia.

roddog

Banned
Be fun to see how GP handle this. He has gone for past friends or hiring young guys some. Haverty, Bumpass, Anderson, Glasgow, etc. Think he had some previous experience with Jennings.

Not always tho, brought in Tademy who brought us some players with him. Eddie Willy and Sharp were outsiders too. Burns was a volunteer coach for a year before he got the WR job.

He will go with Burns and Anderson because they are known and proven. Burns has played QB in his past and been an offensive coordinator before. I think you need to have played that hazardous position before you can coach it... He will do fine as the QB coach.

The question will be can we call plays as well without Fuente. Anderson was interviewed at the Rose Bowl and it was interesting to hear him when asked if co coordinators ever had disputes on choosing plays. Anderson said, "oh heck, we argue all the time what to do". Now that is a good sign of folks getting along.. Bet they can get it done without Fuente and you know people will be watchin' at the Poinsettia.

gunner, did you really just type all that, Wow :eek:hmy:

researchfrog

Doubt they move Trey to WR coach. Seems he wants to be on the defensive side of the bowl after being Defensive GA, DC, and now Safeties coach.

I'll say what I've repeatedly said: I doubt we move Trey because CGP probably considers a safeties coach familiar with his scheme as more important than a WR coach.