• The KillerFrogs

ZONE D PLEASE!

tetonfrog

If TCU plays deep zone and gives the CBs help, then teams will gash us to death with their run game. And then our armchair QBs will scream about why TCU can't stop the run! It's not the coach, it's these safeties playing LB, safeties playing CB and our best defensive players out with injuries.

It's easy to coach from the couch.

BABYFACE

French Frog said:

It's simple really.  They jam (mug) our receivers the refs let it go.  We jam, hinder, molest, impede, make contact with, grab, push, pull, trip, run into, brush up against, touch or in any way appear to be interfering with any other teams receivers and the BIG 12 refs will toss the laundry.
I agree. TCU seems to be a victim of a double standard this season.

I did notice after a few of the calls on the OSU secondary, OSU continued to play aggressive on defense and the flags didn't bother them one bit.

Pharm Frog

BABYFACE said:
I agree. TCU seems to be a victim of a double standard this season.

I did notice after a few of the calls on the OSU secondary, OSU continued to play aggressive on defense and the flags didn't bother them one bit.

Agree.  That's why I said I liked their strategy from the beginning.  I think one of the key plays of the game was a no-call on a 3rd down pass attempt to JD in the end zone when the same OSU player could have been called for illegal contact, holding, and DPI on the same play.  Broadcasters even made mention of it. But the officials had already thrown two or three flags on that drive if memory serves and I doubt they wanted to do it again.

FrogSwagSurfin

tetonfrog said:
If TCU plays deep zone and gives the CBs help, then teams will gash us to death with their run game. And then our armchair QBs will scream about why TCU can't stop the run! It's not the coach, it's these safeties playing LB, safeties playing CB and our best defensive players out with injuries.

Inaccurate. The game plan was to let them run yesterday, per GP so I'm okay with that over 1:00 TDs.

Raw Frog

As far as jamming the WRs, it has to be done at the LOS or close to it. If our guys tried and whiffed, then it is indicative that they need to practice the art of it more during practice. From what I saw though, I did not see us trying to engage them at the LOS.
In regards to our defensive scheme, which is complicated by all accounts, if we do not have the athletes either from size, speed, athletic ability or just knowledge due to youth, one would think you need to put in something that fits the players we got.
I trust in CGP to make the adjustments before OU.

Smooth42

tetonfrog said:

At least you give the other team a chance to screw up with a fumble or making more mistakes when forcing them to run the ball more Surely your not saying you prefer giving up 3 or 4 deep ball TDs every game is the best possible game plan we can come up with. At least try something different. We have seen this story play out every game and it just puts a ton of pressure on our offense if you are going to go with this game plan against a good team.

PurplePutt

Froggy Style said:
Always been Gary's problem. Refuses to move away from 4-2-5 to 3-2-6. It stops us, but we can't change

You can play a cover two in certain situations and against certain receivers in a 4-2-5 and a guy like GP is smart enough to hide it.  But I agree they need to do a better job of getting safety over the top help.  If you can run a zone with 3 LBs and 4 DBs you can do it with 2 LBs and 5 DBs.  Not sure the young guys can grasp the changes that might be required.  I'm not smart enough to know if they already do some cover 2 and it just isn't obvious because the ball is going to the man coverage side.  

berryfrog95

Our defense practices against one of the best offensive in colleg football, too bad we can't learn from that.....

Despite the injuries which is tenacious for any team, just hard to watch us get beat deep so often.....

FrogSwagSurfin

berryfrog95 said:
Our defense practices against one of the best offensive in colleg football, too bad we can't learn from that.....

Despite the injuries which is tenacious for any team, just hard to watch us get beat deep so often.....
True but it literally takes every new corner one year of full game experience to get it down. That is an extremely long time to get a system down and if they fail then you've spent a year working a guy that isn't a good fit. There has to be a way to dumb it down

4TCU

arlington said:
Great post. Gary is being downright stubborn right now. If you don't have corners who can play man press stop doing it!!!! It's absolutely demoralizing to a defense to give up so many bombs weekly.. Poor defensively line hit Rudolph as soon as he let the ball go on first 2 scores and we still allow receivers over the top.. And part of being a db is knowing down and distance and using that knowledge efficiently..falling for a 5 yard hitch and go on 3rd and 13 CANT HAPPEN!!! Allowing a receiver to break your cushion and score on a go route on 3rd and 18 CANT EVER HAPPEN!!! Inexcusable!! Either dumb players or poor coaching or a combo of both .. We gave up 4 TD passes on 2nd/3rd and 10 or more????
Good post...did not think about the down and yardage

traderfrog

Why does everyone think we don't play zone defense, or don't play much Cover 2? Most formations of a 4-2-5 are heavily based on zone. It's typically a Cover 2 Read / Blue, Quarters, or Cover 5. The fact that a safety has 1-on-1 deep responsibility against a receiver running a vertical route doesn't necessarily mean you're in man coverage.

Smooth42

traderfrog said:
Why does everyone think we don't play zone defense, or don't play much Cover 2? Most formations of a 4-2-5 are heavily based on zone. It's typically a Cover 2 Read / Blue, Quarters, or Cover 5. The fact that a safety has 1-on-1 deep responsibility against a receiver running a vertical route doesn't necessarily mean you're in man coverage.

Defense is designed to stop throws from 10 to 25 yds out.  Over 25 yards and corners or safeties are on their own.  We rarely, if ever, see a deep ball where a safety is coming over to help with the corner right next to receiver.  I can't ever recall a QB throwing into double coverage when throwing deep ball.  I would argue every single deep ball this year has been an isolation.

VA Froggie

Guys, the man has had the number one defense or top five defense often over the last few years, The head man has not had this many injuries on defense in 20 years. He is playing so many freshmen and sophomores the future is looking good on defense. Look where we would be if we had last years defense, no comparison. The man has done wonders with the hand he's been dealt this year.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Okay, for all the defensive scheme experts. Please list those coaches successful in slowing down Big 12 type spread offenses. Dantonio at Michigan State? Nope. Land Sharks? Please. Fat Boy at Arkansas, a little, but still loses to TT. Minnesota? Not sure, first game and not sure the timing was down yet. OSU, hardly, with over 600 yes TO.

Our problems are not coaches or schemes. We have had some catastrophic personnel issues, a bunch of young kids basically having their spring football now. GP has not become an idiot over night. This staff has done wonders keeping the leaks in this boat plugged.

jake102

Solid post and good perspective Hoosier. Hadn't really thought of those "elite" defenses getting whipped by Big 12 offenses in recent years.

FrogSwagSurfin

Hoosierfrog said:
Okay, for all the defensive scheme experts. Please list those coaches successful in slowing down Big 12 type spread offenses. Dantonio at Michigan State? Nope. Land Sharks? Please. Fat Boy at Arkansas, a little, but still loses to TT. Minnesota? Not sure, first game and not sure the timing was down yet. OSU, hardly, with over 600 yes TO.

Our problems are not coaches or schemes. We have had some catastrophic personnel issues, a bunch of young kids basically having their spring football now. GP has not become an idiot over night. This staff has done wonders keeping the leaks in this boat plugged.
All most of us are getting is it out of the realm in this system to help out the corners against the long bomb.

f_399

Is it possible to dare Baylor to run the ball?

Better then giving up 30 second TD drives? again and again and again....

f_399

berryfrog95 said:
I'm not so sure GMFP literally thought Mason Rudolph would have that type of game Saturday

It was good but not out of this world great.

We made it easy for him throw TD's.

16/24, 352 yards but 5 TD's