• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans

Moose Stuff

I don't think all the NIL money being thrown out there by South Carolina, Mississippi State, Vandy, Illinois, Indiana boosters (and countless other schools) is really going to result in good football teams. When that reality sets in is when the money probably dries up.

Seriously, I don't know this for sure because I'm so far from from being able to even think about being an NIL contributor, but man, does that ever seem like just pissing money down the drain. The players can just take the money and be gone the next year if they don't like their situation or if someone comes along and pays them more.
That was kind of my point. It’s my opinion that any money going to football is most likely wasted money unless you’re telling me someone is gonna stick like 10 million in some sort of NIL find. You could give $500,000 to the football team tomorrow and honestly what would that do??? Give that same amount of money to the women’s volleyball team for example and you’ve made an immediate MASSIVE difference.

Wexahu

See Rattler, Spencer and his vehicles that will be be driven at a campus not in Oklahoma next year.
Right. And I may be wrong, but rich folks generally want some kind of contractual agreement or obligation in return for cutting big checks to people. As it stands now they'll constantly be negotiating against themselves.

JugbandFrog

I think that is going to happen to most schools except the top 30 or so that end up in one conference. Then again, I am wondering how long it takes before those companies chucking cash at “investments” that really return almost nothing, say [ What the heck? ] are ”we” doing this for.
The thing you are forgetting is that some of these “companies” return is access, and the team winning. In SEC country those folks don’t care about the profit if they can brag about what they did to the people around them. Same with the BYU company basically paying tuition for walk ons. Say goodbye to scholarship limits.

All the best paid players will end up down there.

Moose Stuff

See Rattler, Spencer and his vehicles that will be be driven at a campus not in Oklahoma next year.
I gotta believe these deal are put forth with some sort of contract right? Hell maybe they aren’t, I don’t know. But if I’m giving Spencer Rattler a car to drive around there’s no way in hell he gets to keep it if he transfers.

bronco

So how does the program handle this? I am sure they are well aware of the situation. Do you stop playing him? Do you get all you can out of him for the rest of the season? Does he quit the team and school immediately? If he quits school how does that effect his academic standing (and does that even matter any more?)?

smufrogger

That was kind of my point. It’s my opinion that any money going to football is most likely wasted money unless you’re telling me someone is gonna stick like 10 million in some sort of NIL find. You could give $500,000 to the football team tomorrow and honestly what would that do??? Give that same amount of money to the women’s volleyball team for example and you’ve made an immediate MASSIVE difference.
It will also divide the locker rooms with a few really rich athletes and others barely getting anything. Jealousy - animosity-players focused on how to increase their nil vs studying- not a conducive team environment.

LisaLT

Zach Evans is draft eligible next year. Perhaps he thinks he’s ready for the next level and doesn’t really care about college ball at all. Look at his history. Why did he come to TCU in the first place vs Georgia? They are on the cusp of winning a NC and he could have been a heisman candidate. This always seemed fishy to me how we ended up with him.

Wexahu

It will also divide the locker rooms with a few really rich athletes and others barely getting anything. Jealousy - animosity-players focused on how to increase their nil vs studying- not a conducive team environment.
Some people will disagree for sure, but if the Evans rumors are true as to his special arrangement, I can't imagine that hasn't negatively impacted the rest of the team. That kind of stuff has to be toxic to a locker room. And here we are. It's almost like we've become Texas, except with not quite as talented of a roster.

Last edited:

TXTXFrog

Football is fully funded so yes the perks will bring/keep guys. Very top players will get NILs regardless of who they play for. For partially funded sports, NIL will make or break. A 25% scholarship that still requires a 45k investment from the family will absolutely be swayed by an NIL that pays the tuition. Schlossnagle basically said 11.7 for baseball wasn’t going to matter at A&M. If boosters cover for the rest of the scholarships it’s a game changer…especially for pricy schools. It will make or break.

bronco

Zach Evans is draft eligible next year. Perhaps he thinks he’s ready for the next level and doesn’t really care about college ball at all. Look at his history. Why did he come to TCU in the first place vs Georgia? They are on the cusp of winning a NC and he could have been a heisman candidate. This always seemed fishy to me how we ended up with him.
Patterson has always been very complimentary of Evans

jake102

I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see Evans transfer nowhere and play nowhere next year. It was extremely effective for Chase, there's probably enough tape on Evans after this season.

Wexahu

I think because Georgia (and those other schools) weren't willing to accommodate him. At least that's what I suspect.

Shorty

Some people will disagree for sure, but if the Evans rumors are true as to his special arrangement, I can't imagine that hasn't negatively impacted the rest of the team. That kind of stuff has to be toxic to a locker room.
He seemed to be cutting up with everyone on the sidelines during the Tech game. I have to believe the players understand the "business" better than the fans.

frogetaboutit

After 20 years here, at this last game, with all the work we do for our tailgate, for the first time, I can see some changes coming to the 8 tickets and 3 parking spots I have been buying for a long time.
Dominos will fall.

I’m not saying it will, but if this ever becomes a prevailing attitude and shifts to “not sports” university giving - look out.