• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans…

FinanceFrog

not sure what ZE’s situation is, so not talking about him in particular. but $500k is huge money to a lot of families. some of these kids come from families where the mom is working 3 jobs to make $28k and put food on the table.

it’s easy to be in an ivory tower as an affluent fan and judge players for taking money but the players are smart for taking it. ZE may make the nfl but may not - you have to get paid while someone is willing to pay you.

good for ZE. i hope he uses the money wisely and it helps their family if they need it. I wish him nothing but success.

StealthFrog

not sure what ZE’s situation is, so not talking about him in particular. but $500k is huge money to a lot of families. some of these kids come from families where the mom is working 3 jobs to make $28k and put food on the table.

it’s easy to be in an ivory tower as an affluent fan and judge players for taking money but the players are smart for taking it. ZE may make the nfl but may not - you have to get paid while someone is willing to pay you.

good for ZE. i hope he uses the money wisely and it helps their family if they need it. I wish him nothing but success.
Yeah, but you can be a person of integrity along the way to making your short term pay day……or not

Wexahu

I don’t fault him at all, I’d have probably gone to the highest bidder too.

If I'm being honest, I don’t care what kind of success or failure he is going forward.

I think the team will be better off without him.

Frog Attack II

Show me a man who won’t make a deal because of the tax consequences and I’ll show you an idiot…
I agree... just saying that I don't think these guys are thinking about all the implications... he may he a financial wizard... or he may have spent 500K already on bling and stuff for mama and hangers-on. Hope for most of these guys that it is the former..... but I doubt ir.

Sangria Wine

Really? All deals should ignore tax implications? I think you overstate the case.
All deals that make money and move you on to the next deal that makes you more money are good. I think it’s obvious that if you have two potential sales of assets for instance, and one sale allows better tax implications you pick it…but, having tax consequences means you’ve made money on the deal. And no deal is the last deal unless you die or quit. The object is to make money and move to the next deal. I stand by the comment.

These kids taking money for one NIL deal doesn’t make the next deal get eliminated. If ZE goes to Ole Miss and starts popping off 200 yard games he will get more than $500k/year. The argument that these kids are worse off for having some great coin come their way is dumb. There’s plenty of envy among fans in some cases when they learn that an “unproven 18 year old” is about to pull down more money than they make. So be it. I don’t like what’s about to happen because of all this NIL stuff, but damn sure can’t say the kids who are getting paid are automatically bad guys for shopping their services and making the best deal they can…exactly like every person in the world tries to do in their own careers/businesses.

College football is now pro football, just a different league than the NFL…but pro football for sure. With no salary caps, no real rules, no oversight from a central governing body. It’s the Wild Wild West and before it’s all over Texas and Texas A&M are going to both have top 5 talent every year because they have the most money from the most willing participants in playing this game. They practically perfected it back when it was under the table money. Aggies drop $30 million on this years class and it doesn’t even register to the coffers. Welcome to the new era of college football. Don’t hate the players, hate the game.

Zubaz

Hope he is ready to pay about 150-200K in taxes.
"I'll give you half a million dollars, but earmark some for taxes"
ZIxrXIK.gif

tcudoc

The point about the tax implication is that many of these young men will believe they are really getting $500,000 and they will likely spend up to that amount with no regard for the fact that they need to set aside a portion for taxes. By the time many figure that out, it may be too late. Nobody is saying to turn down a deal. Just to be smart about managing the money and understanding that you don’t really get the full $500,000.

Jeepers, stop—It is safe to assume these kids are or will be aware of the tax bite upon receiving the money—I suspect TCU offers instruction for them if they happen to still be ignorant about taxes. They may have even had a job in high school that required tax filings.

Last edited:

JAB331

Ok, so we don't hire Dion and he decides to go to Ole Miss to play for Lane Kiffin..?! Why not go to Jackson st..!

I'm guessing we just lost 50% of the drama from our football team - good riddance...

FrogBall09

That last sentence is the sad one - guessing given the level of “advisors” he seem to have, the $300k that will be left after state and fed taxes will be gone before the end of the season and his focus will become how much is needed to keep playing….
Reminded of a baseball player that got his singing bonus after the draft and his “commitments” resulted in it being gone before his second minor league year - so he had to quit and find a real job