• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans…

What if X is still more than Y?
Over 70% of lottery winners elect the lump sum. Not suggesting that is an academic example, but we, as humans, are inherintely distracted by the availability bias which morphs into cognitive bias: You see a big number now vs. a larger number over a longer (sometimes much longer) period of time, the availability bias directs you to the big number now.

Palliative Care

I am not blaming the kids at all. They did not create the problem but they are going to have to be part of the solution. The "system" was created by long dead men. The schools and the athletic departments along with the conferences and the NCAA are the ones who produced this system a very long time ago. The same groups maintained it for their own selfish goals and all us fans paid our money to watch both in person and on TV. TV brought the revenue that eventually lead to the demise of the armature sport. But make no mistake all these group contributed to its downfall.

DelFrog

Over 70% of lottery winners elect the lump sum. Not suggesting that is an academic example, but we, as humans, are inherintely distracted by the availability bias which morphs into cognitive bias: You see a big number now vs. a larger number over a longer (sometimes much longer) period of time, the availability bias directs you to the big number now.
As does wise investing.

Wexahu

The system was created by old adults, period. Blaming college kids for the situation to any degree is misguided.
I don't blame the kids one bit, they are simply trying to take advantage of the system. I'd probably have done the same thing if I was their age. Of course I was a pretty naive, dumb kid at that age, just like most of us were. Probably would have quickly dropped out of school if someone wouldn't handed me a $25,000 check to do so. Which goes to my point of I also think in many, many of these cases it's not in the kid's best interests to become a hired gun so to speak and few of them are actually going to be better off in the long term because of these changes.

Palliative Care

I agree with above but I want to add is who is going to protect these kids from those who wish to bilk them of their money? Win a lottery and you suddenly hear from all sorts of people you never want to meet. The same goes here and many may be relatives.

AroundWorldFrog

And who knows if they'll be alive in 2 years. Take the lump sum every time.

FrogCop19

I don't think any of it is "corrupt". On both sides. An amateur sports organization should have the ability to establish rules of competition as they see fit. Nobody needs to take part in it, it's completely a voluntary activity. The corrupt part would be members of the amateur organization doing whatever they can to break the own rules they establish to gain an edge over their competition.

I guess you could say it's "corrupt" that the NFL won't allow players to get drafted unless they reach a certain age, but I wouldn't call it that. But if there IS any corruption, it's on the NFL and NFLPA side.
This is the point I was trying to make in the other thread about ZE leaving to Ole Miss, but I phrased it poorly. The end result is the same (ruining college football), but can it be called corruption if they do it out in the open?

Wexahu

This is the point I was trying to make in the other thread about ZE leaving to Ole Miss, but I phrased it poorly. The end result is the same (ruining college football), but can it be called corruption if they do it out in the open?
It's not corrupt if they are breaking no rules. Not IMO.

Zach Evans isn't the problem, It's the idiots in charge with establishing the rules and regulating the sport that thought allowing kids immediate eligibility upon transferring was a good idea.

CountryFrog

I agree with above but I want to add is who is going to protect these kids from those who wish to bilk them of their money? Win a lottery and you suddenly hear from all sorts of people you never want to meet. The same goes here and many may be relatives.
Have you tried using the reply button? All of your replies are just out in open space and very difficult to figure out what it is that you're actually replying to.

Happens everywhere. People fall into large sums of money. Could be hard work, could be the lotto, could be the NFL, could be under the couch cushions... could be a large death benefit.

Goes into an argument I make all the time: Teach financial literacy at an early age. Budgeting. Taxes. Savings. We do not do that in this country and it is freaking awful.

NewFrogFan

The same people who “protect” them in the NFL, NBA et al. Then throw in those that just want a ”job” as part of the rent a crowd everywhere they go!

Palliative Care

I would say that this is throwing these kids to the wolves but it is more like the kids are being driven in Mercedes by one pack of wolves to another pack of wolves. This is going to get really bad....