• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans…

Wexahu

I think this will be the new/old key when it comes to acquiring talent. You want to maximize ROI which used to be (theoretically) about the time invested in recruiting and teaching a kid and will now have the added monetary ROI.

The reason I think this whole thing is headed toward a cliff is that you will likely have donors giving money directly to a kid and giving less to the school. When those "direct" investments don't pan out, will the donors go after the kid? The coach? The school?

Fixing to be a mess IMO.
And without some sort of regulations in place regarding player movement, donors will constantly be bidding against themselves. It'll be interesting when all these stud recruits A&M is landing reopen negotiations next offseason. "OK, Mr. Booster, I got $200k to sign here. Didn't play a whole lot this year but it's gonna take a lot more than that to keep me. In fact, I'm gonna enter the portal and see just how much more. I'll be in touch."

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I truly don't understand the vitriol here against Zach Evans, the kid is supremely talented and has the potential to make millions if he stays active and healthy. People ragging on him for playing on snap counts or looking to move to another team that would work better for him I feel are just selfish.

There have been thousands of future NFL careers cut short by injuries and those that didn't exist due to injuries, and there have been thousands of players who likely would be in a better place had they been on a different team with different opportunities (how many of our players do you think the NFL overlooked because they wern't playing on NFL scouts televisions every week?).

I'm personally not going to say to a guy "you need to sacrifice your body, and stay with us because I want to watch you play, also I won't pay you, and you might lose millions of dollars, but I want you to play for me to watch anyways" that just seems selfish. Every player needs to be looking out for what is best for them professionally and physically and if they don't feel they don't get it here they should go somewhere they do think they'll succeed.
Yeah. We're the selfish and greedy ones. Gotcha!

It's about loyalty, and he evidently has none, save for the dollar. Why would he, or anyone else for that matter, expect the TCU fan base to show him any loyalty considering his actions? He quit on us, and his teammates, with the confidence that we would take him back in the event he couldn't get a better paying gig elsewhere.

He has shown himself to be the very model of the cynical mercenary. Why, then, is it surprising if people regard him as such?

Endless Purple

I am kind of surprised these NIL deals are not including terms regarding commitments to teams, such as if you transfer out before a certain time or choose not to play, then a certain portion must be returned. Not hard to build a contract that has terms to meet. It could be easy for boosters to keep a player longer.

CountryFrog

I am kind of surprised these NIL deals are not including terms regarding commitments to teams, such as if you transfer out before a certain time or choose not to play, then a certain portion must be returned. Not hard to build a contract that has terms to meet. It could be easy for boosters to keep a player longer.
I believe the NIL laws specifically prevent the contracts from being linked in any way to your team or playing performance. It's supposed to be truly about that person's individual marketability.

Pretty ridiculous I know.

Wexahu

Have you ever tried to get money returned to you before?

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
I truly don't understand the vitriol here against Zach Evans, the kid is supremely talented and has the potential to make millions if he stays active and healthy. People ragging on him for playing on snap counts or looking to move to another team that would work better for him I feel are just selfish.

There have been thousands of future NFL careers cut short by injuries and those that didn't exist due to injuries, and there have been thousands of players who likely would be in a better place had they been on a different team with different opportunities (how many of our players do you think the NFL overlooked because they wern't playing on NFL scouts televisions every week?).

I'm personally not going to say to a guy "you need to sacrifice your body, and stay with us because I want to watch you play, also I won't pay you, and you might lose millions of dollars, but I want you to play for me to watch anyways" that just seems selfish. Every player needs to be looking out for what is best for them professionally and physically and if they don't feel they don't get it here they should go somewhere they do think they'll succeed.
This is exactly the thinking that has seriously degraded college football. No longer is there loyalty to the school, the team, the fanbase.
jerry-macguire-show-me-the-money.gif

TCUdirtbag

Who wrote these laws?

There were several proposals during the session but one legislator took control. He listened to very little input from the state’s universities and lege council. Leadership wanted to ram something through but it wasn’t a high enough priority for them to focus on the substance. Universities tried to shape the legislation but likewise had to fight/pick battles on multiple fronts with a generally uninterested audience (the legislature).

Moose Stuff

Vitriol??? It’s more like complete indifference for me. If he stays at TCU then great, I’ll cheer my ass off for him. If he chooses to leave then I won’t give one tiny scheiss about whatever successes or failures he has moving forward.

Paint It Purple

It's players openly on the take. It's corruption. Are these players corrupt or is the system corrupt. Difference without a distinction IMO, and willingly flaunted in everyone's face. Our politicians are on the take, corporate executives and employees are on the take, city officials are on the take, even churches and preachers are on the take. Most do it at risk of jail or firing.

I have yet to see an example of one of these NIL's living up to a ROI in public.

It's okay though. Get your's while you can.

CardFrog

It's players openly on the take. It's corruption. Are these players corrupt or is the system corrupt. Difference without a distinction IMO, and willingly flaunted in everyone's face. Our politicians are on the take, corporate executives and employees are on the take, city officials are on the take, even churches and preachers are on the take. Most do it at risk of jail or firing.

I have yet to see an example of one of these NIL's living up to a ROI in public.

It's okay though. Get your's while you can.
I really don't blame the kids at all, for many this is there best shot and securing a future financially, its the system that is corrupt.