• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans…

geefrogs

how yall be looking at transfers leaving their schools to enter the portal.

click steve bannon GIF

how yall be looking at transfers leaving the portal to come to TCU.

happy samuel l. jackson GIF by O&O, Inc

Zubaz

It's players openly on the take. It's corruption. Are these players corrupt or is the system corrupt. Difference without a distinction IMO, and willingly flaunted in everyone's face. Our politicians are on the take, corporate executives and employees are on the take, city officials are on the take, even churches and preachers are on the take. Most do it at risk of jail or firing.

I have yet to see an example of one of these NIL's living up to a ROI in public.

It's okay though. Get your's while you can.
"Corruption" is a weird way of phrasing "Going where you can get paid better or otherwise do what's best for you". I know I've switched jobs a few times in my career, I didn't consider that particularly corrupt.

The "corrupt" part of the system is the NFLPA not allowing these players to be drafted if they choose, and by extension a minor league (sorry, *wink wink* "'Amateur' association of Universities") having a monopoly on 18-21 year old talent. What's going on beneath that level is basically the players now finally being allowed to openly get in on the action that has existed in college athletics for decades.

Moose Stuff

how yall be looking at transfers leaving their schools to enter the portal.

click steve bannon GIF

how yall be looking at transfers leaving the portal to come to TCU.

happy samuel l. jackson GIF by O&O, Inc
I’m not bothered at all by kids entering the portal because their coach left or because they’re looking for PT and I’m not really bothered by grad transfers just looking to do something different their last year either. I HATE productive starters transferring because they’re looking to get paid or because they deem the school that took a chance on them out of HS to now be beneath them.

Wexahu

"Corruption" is a weird way of phrasing "Going where you can get paid better or otherwise do what's best for you". I know I've switched jobs a few times in my career, I didn't consider that particularly corrupt.

The "corrupt" part of the system is the NFLPA not allowing these players to be drafted if they choose, and by extension a minor league (sorry, *wink wink* "'Amateur' association of Universities") having a monopoly on 18-21 year old talent. What's going on beneath that level is basically the players now finally being allowed to openly get in on the action that has existed in college athletics for decades.
I don't think any of it is "corrupt". On both sides. An amateur sports organization should have the ability to establish rules of competition as they see fit. Nobody needs to take part in it, it's completely a voluntary activity. The corrupt part would be members of the amateur organization doing whatever they can to break the own rules they establish to gain an edge over their competition.

I guess you could say it's "corrupt" that the NFL won't allow players to get drafted unless they reach a certain age, but I wouldn't call it that. But if there IS any corruption, it's on the NFL and NFLPA side.

Wexahu

I’m not bothered at all by kids entering the portal because their coach left or because they’re looking for PT and I’m not really bothered by grad transfers just looking to do something different their last year either. I HATE productive starters transferring because they’re looking to get paid or because they deem the school that took a chance on them out of HS to now be beneath them.
IMO coaches leaving is just tough luck. Can't have those qualifiers or it just opens a huge can of worms and a whole bunch of exceptions and loopholes to work around. Sometimes things just don't work out just perfect, it's life. Deal with it. Make a coaches job security or possibility of leaving for another job a larger consideration for a kid when choosing a college if it's that important to him.

I've said before, something to where they only allow players to freely transfer if they play less than x % of a team's snaps the prior year "might' be a compromise that could work, because I don't have a problem in a case where a kid is in over his head and just wants a chance to play.

Zubaz

An amateur sports organization should have the ability to establish rules of competition as they see fit. Nobody needs to take part in it, it's completely a voluntary activity.
Sort of. Much like other labor / contract agreements, it depends on what those rules are. Some rules are valid, others would be illegal. As we just saw with the SCOTUS ruling that paved the way for NIL, they don't have the right to dictate certain out-of-competition behavior or earnings for example, and that's not exactly a court known for it's left-leaning ideology.

Endless Purple

I believe the NIL laws specifically prevent the contracts from being linked in any way to your team or playing performance. It's supposed to be truly about that person's individual marketability.

Pretty ridiculous I know.
Very true. Does not mean it cannot be tied to the location or business. For example, if a Fort Worth business offer promo money to a player, it could be based on a two-year agreement that the player remain in the geographic area to promote the business. Ater all, how can someone 5 states away benefit the restaurants clients or marketing.

NIL has potential to do good, but unregulated can do very bad things for college football too.

Wexahu

Sort of. Much like other labor / contract agreements, it depends on what those rules are. Some rules are valid, others would be illegal. As we just saw with the SCOTUS ruling that paved the way for NIL, they don't have the right to dictate certain out-of-competition behavior or earnings for example, and that's not exactly a court known for it's left-leaning ideology.
OK. I guess the rules of amateurism were illegal. I don't agree with it, but ok. It's not my opinion that the Supreme Court can never be wrong.

What about an organization making a rule that in the event a player transferred to another school that is a member of an association that he is required to sit out of competition for a year? Would that be a valid rule?

Very true. Does not mean it cannot be tied to the location or business. For example, if a Fort Worth business offer promo money to a player, it could be based on a two-year agreement that the player remain in the geographic area to promote the business. Ater all, how can someone 5 states away benefit the restaurants clients or marketing.

NIL has potential to do good, but unregulated can do very bad things for college football too.
This comment and the installments comment are unfortunately fundamentally flawed. If I offer X in installments and mandate he/she stay in Fort Worth, Joe Shmoe is going to offer Y without the requirements.

FinanceFrog

So literally everyone should‘ve been able to offer their opinion on who they wanted as as the next TCU coach besides the people that are actually being coached? Solid take.

the majority on this board prefer the good ol days where the players stayed silent and wore their hair a certain way, knew their place. the new age of college football is tough for boomers to adjust to.

hiphopfroggy

The old-fashioned scholarship and free college education can secure a nice future. I'm not as confident in the get rich quick approach.
Yea but many of these top prospects aren't taking real classes that provide an actual education, they are getting fake worthless degree's that allow them to be eligible to play football without burdening them with intellectual growth.

hiphopfroggy

I do not know about the comparison of new and old ways but to leave the sport up to the rich alumni, corporations and 17 to 21 y/o’s to decide the ruleless state of college football does seem not the way to go either.
One thing you can be sure is the same when comparing the new and the old ways, is that it is the Old Adults that are in charge and responsible.

Palliative Care

I lay the lack on education on the schools and conference who do not deserve to be left out of the critical analysis of why the sport is about to be lost permanently to the robber barons.

NewFrogFan

I am kind of surprised these NIL deals are not including terms regarding commitments to teams, such as if you transfer out before a certain time or choose not to play, then a certain portion must be returned. Not hard to build a contract that has terms to meet. It could be easy for boosters to keep a player longer.

I imagine there will be a swift learning curve for those signing the checks.

Palliative Care

I beg your pardon but since win is having too much money and influence sticky the providence of the age. Believe me many a young alum is now involved up to their a in this mess.