• The KillerFrogs

Z Evans in the portal….

One Frog Nation

not a surprise at al with limited usage we did with him over the past 2 yearsl. maybe dykes will see if he wants to stay, maybe he is wanting to see where he might go.

hiphopfroggy

Wish we had stuck with Dominic Richardson. Been wanting to see Foster get more carries anyway, he and Miller can be just as lethal of a 1 2 punch as anyone.

HFrog1999

There has

There has to be some competitive balance rules put in place at some point, or rules that greatly reduces player movement. This is borderline insanity, and it’s only gonna get worse. How do coaches even build programs anymore?

This sort of structure has never been tried before in team sports history, as far as I know.

Yeah, it’s going to be chaos.

I’ll be interested to see if some of the NIL contracts require players to stay at a school for a certain number of seasons or risk financial penalties

Wexahu

Yeah, it’s going to be chaos.

I’ll be interested to see if some of the NIL contracts require players to stay at a school for a certain number of seasons or risk financial penalties
The new school would just pay the penalty if the player was good enough.

Don’t understand why they can’t just say if you transfer, you’re not allowed to compete for a year. Done.

Dogfrog

Not going to lie, with this new era in college sports, sometimes I feel like I too should pull a Gary and step down. This is Gen-Z football, you don't play to become a better person, you play to get multiple figures.

There's no keeping up with this stuff. It's like a giant illusion. Your aristocrat programs with money to burn do just enough to make you feel like you can get in to the play offs, but really they just need meat sacks to beat up on their way to the CFP.

I tend to be more of a settler than pioneer, so I look at this all like Charleston Heston seeing a destroyed statue of liberty.
Gary is lucky. He made good money plus a big buyout and got out at just the right time for him. All the coaching search and coach shuffling is interesting but you have to wonder if head coaching salaries will continue on an upward trajectory should it become obvious that NIL management is at least equal to coaching in terms of results.

Wexahu

Gary is lucky. He made good money plus a big buyout and got out at just the right time for him. All the coaching search and coach shuffling is interesting but you have to wonder if head coaching salaries will continue on an upward trajectory should it become obvious that NIL management is at least equal to coaching in terms of results.
The biggest challenge for coaches going forward isn't going to have to do with x's and o's, schemes, or game management.....it'll be doing whatever they can to keep the team culture from completely coming off the rails. 85 kids on their phones all the time, twitter, instagram, all wanting to play and probably thinking they are much better than they are, chasing NIL deals, being courted by other teams, etc etc. Good luck with all that.

To that point, I probably saw more games this season where teams had more give up and quit in them than I have the last 10 years combined. Not just TCU. Actually, you'd hardly even consider something like that before, but I think we'll see it more and more.....second half of the season games that are basically a complete joke.

Wexahu

You only get one transfer opportunity then you have to sit. We are about to see it work for us.
Right. So every high school kid we recruit we're just borrowing until they decide they want to go somewhere else.

What you're saying about the one transfer opportunity is true, I suppose until some kid who wants to transfer twice hires an attorney. I mean, why would they not allow multiple transfers?

Don't really cares if it works for us. It's terrible for the game, and it's terrible for the players tbh.

HFrog1999

The biggest challenge for coaches going forward isn't going to have to do with x's and o's, schemes, or game management.....it'll be doing whatever they can to keep the team culture from completely coming off the rails. 85 kids on their phones all the time, twitter, instagram, all wanting to play and probably thinking they are much better than they are, chasing NIL deals, being courted by other teams, etc etc. Good luck with all that.

To that point, I probably saw more games this season where teams had more give up and quit in them than I have the last 10 years combined. Not just TCU. Actually, you'd hardly even consider something like that before, but I think we'll see it more and more.....second half of the season games that are basically a complete joke.

85 Jamie Tarts

Ted Lasso GIF by Apple TV

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Like I posted abv, the "new" thing is "agents" for "just" NIL, like Donati's former boss (not a shot at him), Leigh Steinberg. He represents Rattler, who just entered the portal.

We are in a new world folks. 4D Chess mode.
One would think that, with that pedigree, Donati would be out in front, leading the pack with this Brave New World we have spreading out before us. It wasn't but a few weeks ago that Shannon on the Podcast was lamenting that TCU didn't have anything set up to deal with NIL, and that he and some other ex-players were trying to arrange something to get such funding flowing.

This cannot come as a shock, considering the rumored money sloshing around the Usual Suspect Programs since this thing came down. The shocking aspect is that TCU hasn't moved to engage in something as clearly important to the future of the program.

The other thing is, yeah, I'm an old fuddy-duddy. Used to be there was loyalty, camaraderie, esprit de corps amongst teammates. Now it's "Show Me The MONEY!!!" Kinda makes it hard to get terribly enthusiastic about following the progress of a young player when you now know that, should he show any promise, some Big Program will whisk him off on a flying carpet of Benjamins. Somebody blew a big hole through the head of College Football As We Knew It, and the body just hasn't hit the floor yet.

Dogfrog