• The KillerFrogs

YouTube TV and FSSW

dawg

DD SR passed in April. So I cut off DirecTV at the folk's the other day. 45 minutes of HELL on the phone with ATT person in Manila or some offshore location. I finally got it cut off then they said I owed $260. WHAT? I was not under a contract and had DirecTV at DD SR's for 22+ years. Can you say loyal customer? ATT can shove it as far as I'm concerned. They ruined DIRECTV!

Not surprising; ATT customer service is the ninth level of hell.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
So some conferences and teams need to find new networks/platforms it seems. There is going to be little to no exposure with Bally rebranding plus the gambling ties.

Interesting. Haven’t seen that.

That can’t be good for streaming, I’d imagine the price will continue to go up exponentially now that they’re eliminating competition.

I proclaimed during football season that streaming is dead. We're not far away from that happening. Basic stuff will still be available but you won't be able to watch sports like you can now. An uber liberal TCU history prof hell-bent on destroying the toxic masculinity of sports will still use Sling for the Smithsonian Channel, Cheddar and Young Turks but anyone else with half a brain will go back to satellite/cable or purchase each network's streaming package.

Double D

Tier 1
Quite the opposite is true. See ROKU stock ($400/share up $250 in last 6 months).

This will force a change in how broadcast rights for sports will be handled going forward. I think you'll see each league/conference setup their own streaming platforms and market to individuals. The days of Billion $ network contracts are probably over.

I proclaimed during football season that streaming is dead. We're not far away from that happening. Basic stuff will still be available but you won't be able to watch sports like you can now. An uber liberal TCU history prof hell-bent on destroying the toxic masculinity of sports will still use Sling for the Smithsonian Channel, Cheddar and Young Turks but anyone else with half a brain will go back to satellite/cable or purchase each network's streaming package.

Purp

Quite the opposite is true. See ROKU stock ($400/share up $250 in last 6 months).

This will force a change in how broadcast rights for sports will be handled going forward. I think you'll see each league/conference setup their own streaming platforms and market to individuals. The days of Billion $ network contracts are probably over.
The Roku is just the device used to transmit the images from your provider to your TV. It's not much different than the set top box you rented from your satellite/cable provider for $20 or so a month. It wouldn't take much work for a DTV app to be added to a Roku or smart TV to totally eliminate the need for a traditional set top box. The only hurdle at that point is where to store the DVR recordings, but I think that's likely to be a cloud based solution in the future anyway.

I think it's still too early to declare streaming dead, or even on life support, because it's popularity is so great I think people will keep trying to compete in that space until they find the sweet spot that works best. That said, I do believe there is a powerful force trying to squash streaming competition so it's going to be an ugly fight for a long time at the expense of us customers. My hope is that the market is allowed to decide rather than government bureaucrats playing Geppetto or major media conglomerates with too much power in the marketplace.

Guess I missed the news for #1 above... why isn’t tcu on fssw with big 12 conference games?

The Big 12 decided to roll their Tier 3 content for all member schools EXCEPT Texas and OU into a joint agreement, and they sold it to ESPN to be placed primarily on ESPN+.

The content you previously watched for TCU on FSSW was maybe 1 football game a year, non-conference basketball, and occasionally baseball/soccer/volleyball/etc... All of that is "Tier 3" content for TCU home games, which we had previously sold to FSSW for roughly $500k a year. Now, we are in said joint agreement above, making $1-2 million a year though the math isn't exactly apples/oranges as it was sold as a package with the Big 12 Football Championship game.

Going forward, here's where TCU/Big 12 content will be through May 2025:

1 Texas home football non-conf game, home non-conf basketball, home baseball, and occasional home conference basketball games too: Longhorn Network

All other football: ESPN family of networks, FOX, FS1, FS2, and ESPN+
All other basketball: ESPN family of networks and ESPN+
All other baseball: ESPN family of networks and ESPN+
Anything else: ESPN+

1 OU home football non-conf game, home non-conf basketball, home baseball, etc: FSSW-Oklahoma (found on FSSW) - Note that technically OU's Tier 3 agreement with Fox ends in May 2022, and what happens to OU rights after that is up the air and the subject of much intrigue. If they sell it to, for instance, Fox and the Big Ten Network (which has been reported), most believe that signals OU's intent to go to the Big Ten after the Big 12's media rights agreement ends in 2025. This, of course, could set off a much wider array of conference realignment.

Paul in uhh

The Big 12 decided to roll their Tier 3 content for all member schools EXCEPT Texas and OU into a joint agreement, and they sold it to ESPN to be placed primarily on ESPN+.

The content you previously watched for TCU on FSSW was maybe 1 football game a year, non-conference basketball, and occasionally baseball/soccer/volleyball/etc... All of that is "Tier 3" content for TCU home games, which we had previously sold to FSSW for roughly $500k a year. Now, we are in said joint agreement above, making $1-2 million a year though the math isn't exactly apples/oranges as it was sold as a package with the Big 12 Football Championship game.

1 Texas home football non-conf game, home non-conf basketball, home baseball, and occasional home conference basketball games too: Longhorn Network

1 OU home football non-conf game, home non-conf basketball, home baseball, etc: FSSW-Oklahoma (found on FSSW) - Note that technically OU's Tier 3 agreement with Fox ends in May 2022, and what happens to OU rights after that is up the air and the subject of much intrigue. If they sell it to, for instance, Fox and the Big Ten Network (which has been reported), most believe that signals OU's intent to go to the Big Ten after the Big 12's media rights agreement ends in 2025. This, of course, could set off a much wider array of conference realignment.
Thanks for the breakdown. Sounds like a small win for the program

Purp

This is somewhat encouraging. I'd heard a speculative bit that seemed well sourced that OU might make its move to the SEC rather than the B1G. It also had UT going to the B1G. In that scenario TCU was in an untenable position. Were OU to go to the B1G instead I think the calculus would change for TCU a bit, but that would then beg the question where would UT go. SEC seems unlikely with aTm already there. I guess we'd see how much clout the ags had in that conference were this to happen.

I don't see the B12 lasting without OU and Texas. If either of them leaves I think the other would have to go somewhere else too. Or go independent.

YA

I got first STARS game Friday night by connecting MacBookPRO to ESPN+ via ExpressVPN and connecting as if I was in NYC. ESPN+ was carrying the FoxSportsSW broadcast. Connected MacBookPro to 65" Samsung via HDMI cable. Worked great!

If ESPN+ would carry all STARS game, this would solve my FoxSportsSW issue.

ExpressVPN is great! Check it out at expressvpn.com
Be careful with VPN's as Netflix gets all sort of bent out of shape with VPN use and content licenses.

Froginbedford

This is somewhat encouraging. I'd heard a speculative bit that seemed well sourced that OU might make its move to the SEC rather than the B1G. It also had UT going to the B1G. In that scenario TCU was in an untenable position. Were OU to go to the B1G instead I think the calculus would change for TCU a bit, but that would then beg the question where would UT go. SEC seems unlikely with aTm already there. I guess we'd see how much clout the ags had in that conference were this to happen.

I don't see the B12 lasting without OU and Texas. If either of them leaves I think the other would have to go somewhere else too. Or go independent.

Froginbedford

BYU! BYU! BYU!

And then a new Group of 5 conference...TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, SMU, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Memphis, Cincinnati.....

OU to the SEC is a fan dream, but the Board and President are much more academically minded. OU doesn't cheat nearly hard enough to survive the SEC.

You are right that if either OU or Texas leave the Big 12, its Defcon 1 for the conference as we know it.