• The KillerFrogs

Your go-to tailgate whiskey?

Horny 4 Life

Strat Frog said:

Weller Reserve 12 yr

If you're finding enough of that stuff that you can take it to tailgates I'd like to meet your hookup.  I literally have to drive to Kentucky to get my hands on Weller 12 year. 

Horny 4 Life

All of my tailgates take place in my own driveway, so I have lots of options.

Beer is always Yuengling or Duquesne Pilsner.

Liquor is as follows: 
Most of the time I'm using Four Roses Yellow Label, Camarena Reposado or Appleton Estate Reserve Rum for mixing.  Henry McKenna Single Barrel, Green Spot, Elmer T. Lee or Willett Pot Still Reserve for neat drinking. After a big win it used to be Four Roses Single Barrel or Crown Royal Monarch, but I'm adding Teeling Single Malt, Yellow Spot, and Kirk & Sweeney 23 year Rum to the rotation this season. 

dsween

Steve Gunn
Horned Eagle said:

If you're finding enough of that stuff that you can take it to tailgates I'd like to meet your hookup.  I literally have to drive to Kentucky to get my hands on Weller 12 year. 
Horned eagle, I just bought a bottle last weekend of weller 12 at the Two Bucks off 35 and Felix. Just a shade over 30 bucks. They had two left then. Agree with you through. I wouldn't serve it at tailgates.

Horny 4 Life

dsween said:
Horned eagle, I just bought a bottle last weekend of weller 12 at the Two Bucks off 35 and Felix. Just a shade over 30 bucks. They had two left then. Agree with you through. I wouldn't serve it at tailgates.

Not a bad price for the 12.  I got mine for about 40 thanks to a ridiculous local tax at the store in Kentucky where I found it.  It goes off the shelves within 3 hours of stocking at most of the big stores in KY and OH. I checked with a bunch of distributors and there are only 2 stores within a one to two hour drive of me that get any of the Weller products.  Both stores said they only got 2 cases this year (12 bottles total) and that they were gone within a day of stocking.  

Luckily, I've been traveling to KY for work a lot lately, so I've stocked the bourbon cabinet with a bunch of the stuff I can't get at home. 

Might as well enlighten you, at risk of losing my stock. Specs started carrying Yellow Spot. Best whiskey I've ever had. Irish whiskey they stopped making for a long time but now it's back in short supply.

Horny 4 Life

Capt John Mason SAS said:
Might as well enlighten you, at risk of losing my stock. Specs started carrying Yellow Spot. Best whiskey I've ever had. Irish whiskey they stopped making for a long time but now it's back in short supply.

I've been singing Yellow Spots praises for a year or so.  Amazing stuff and well worth the $89-$119 I've seen charged for it. 

Horny 4 Life

Land Frog said:
I'm going Monday and getting some :)

You won't regret it.  The younger brother, Green Spot, is also a great Irish Whiskey for about half the price. Those two are my favorite Irish Whiskey's available in the states. Writers Tears, Teeling Single Malt, and Jameson Distillery Reserve round out my Top 5 Irish Whiskeys, but they're not available in the US.  

Deep Purple

TxFrog1999 said:
Laphroaig, Glenlivet, Ardbeg, Four Roses, Johnnie Walker Green, Compass Box Great King Street, Glenfiddich, and Green Spot.

Deep Jr is a big fan of Ardbeg.  He gave me a bottle for my birthday and then "helped" me drink it.

A few weeks ago Mrs Deep and I were in Ireland and we tried to book a ferry out of Ballycastle to the Scottish isles of Islay, where there are eight distilleries, some of them among the oldest in Europe.  We'd planned to buy Deep Jr a bottle of Ardbeg straight from the distillery.  Alas, we were one day too late for the tour.

We did tour the old Jameson distillery in Midleton near Cork.  Got a rather pointed and fastidious lecture about the difference between Irish and Scotch whisky.

"In Ireland, we use peat to fire the still.  We don't put it right into the whisky!"

froglash88

Frog Attack II said:
Who supplies you the Yuengling? I need that hookup.
I live in Florida. Time for it to be distributed in Texas.

Have you tried Revolver Blood & Honey? I had it while I was in FW for a wedding in June and really liked it.

Limp Lizard

Horned Eagle said:

Not a bad price for the 12.  I got mine for about 40 thanks to a ridiculous local tax at the store in Kentucky where I found it.  It goes off the shelves within 3 hours of stocking at most of the big stores in KY and OH. I checked with a bunch of distributors and there are only 2 stores within a one to two hour drive of me that get any of the Weller products.  Both stores said they only got 2 cases this year (12 bottles total) and that they were gone within a day of stocking.  

Luckily, I've been traveling to KY for work a lot lately, so I've stocked the bourbon cabinet with a bunch of the stuff I can't get at home. 
WL Weller 12 at Total Wine on Hulen is $19.99 regularly.

Highland Park 18 is great, but too pricey for me.