• The KillerFrogs

Young commitments. Am I the only one concerned?

Limp Lizard

I keep seeing class of 2016, or even 2017 being in the recruiting news for football.  I know that is the current trend in football nowadays, but it bothers me.  One, from the school's perspective, just because the kid had a good freshman or soph HS year doesn't mean he will be all that great when he is old enough to go to college.  From the kid's perspective, unrealistic expectations could be developing.  I can see some 15 year old kid with his parents planning out his pro career.

This early, early recruiting could easily get out of hand in the next 5-6 years, IMO.

BABYFACE

I agree with Leap. I do not like the trend. It is going more so in that direction. There are the few exceptions, but most HS players change and develop dramatically in 4 years in HS. Early bloomers that peak out too soon and late bloomers that just hitting their stride as seniors.

Ron Swanson

In general though, the only kids getting offered that early are the no-doubter types. It's not like teams are going out and offering middling prospects after their freshman and sophomore years.

texas_sicilian

I don't like it either, but is a trend, and if UT and others are doing it, you've got to be in the mix.

I get pursuing 2015 recruits when you're already pursuing 2014 recruits because you can cover more ground and get a halo effect (since they already play together).

2016-17 though is just getting silly. I don't know how you can make an accurate read on the player's true potential that early in their high school career.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
A waste of time and money IMO. If it makes a school feel good doing that, provides some PR, great. I bet few end up signing with the school they originally commit to.

jack the frog

I do not particularly like the trend but I do not see TCU getting hurt by it overall. I think the problem with UT was less a matter of them signing Juniors and more a matter of talent evaluation with UT going down the starsie list signing kids to the exclusion of real evaluations.

Limp Lizard

If you ranked the top 250 2017 players today, then after the 2016 season (their senior year), I would be surprised if even 25 are on the latest top 250.  And half of the 250 will be totally unsought.  So what do you do if the big, 6-0 250 lb freshman OL you offered does not grow an inch or put on a pound by his senior year?  Pull the scholly offer?

Hunt Together

Limp Lizard said:
If you ranked the top 250 2017 players today, then after the 2016 season (their senior year), I would be surprised if even 25 are on the latest top 250.  And half of the 250 will be totally unsought.  So what do you do if the big, 6-0 250 lb freshman OL you offered does not grow an inch or put on a pound by his senior year?  Pull the scholly offer?
For the most part that's just not the players who are getting offered. It's guys like Dylan Moses, a 2017 RB/LB committed to LSU who could make most D1 rosters today at 6'1 230.