• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call

It is all that hard to judge for the officials? What do you think of the rule, Zebra?
Not that hard to judge. And, remember, if it's close, err on the side of safety. Always. This is something you don't try and nitpick on. If it's close, call it.
BUT, don't forget that if it is the between the tackles, in the backfield, this is not a foul. Say it happens to the QB, and he gets hurt. Fans will yell and scream, but it would be a legal play.

Hopefully, this thread will prove to be informative and educational. I hope you have a good time reading it. I checked with Wes before I started posting and he thought it would be great. I will try include some that everybody can get correct, and some "stumpers" on things you won't really know.
Now that I have posted a couple of scenarios and it looks like it's something you enjoy, I would like to post the "Major" rules changes for this year. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail on some of then, I just want you to be aware of them if and when it comes up in a game. You might even be able to impress your buddy sitting next to you be explaining it.

1. Knee pads must be covered by pants and must completely cover the knees. If they don't, the player will be sent to the sideline until it is corrected. There shouldn't be any more short pants like there has been in the past. He doesn't have to miss a play if the Coach takes a timeout and it gets corrected during that TO. T-shirts hanging down, etc. are included in this.
Captains can have a "C" on their jersey.

2. Big emphasis on teams making sure they have contrasting jerseys. You probably won't see any grey tops with grey numbers, even though they may have a border around the number.

3. After a TD, the play clock will go to 40 seconds. This means that the scoring team will need to be ready to get their team on the field for the TRY. Sometimes, Replay might take longer to verify the score. If the Replay Official takes a little long, the Referee can pump the clock back to 25 seconds. If the RO takes longer than that, chances are the play will be reviewed.
After a kickoff (Free Kick), the play clock will also start at 40 seconds. This should reduce the stalling of teams on the sideline. It takes the Referee out of having to make the ball ready.

4. Probably the biggest change is that if a Team B player makes a fair catch of a Free Kick behind their own 25-yard line, the ball will be placed at the 25. Data shows that kickoffs that aren't run back are safer, but team has the choice.

5. If a TD is scored during a down in which time in the 4th period expires, the TRY should not be attempted unless the points would affect the outcome of the game. However, the Coach still has the option. For example: the kicker may set a new school record if he kicks the extra point.

6. Major changes in blocking below the waist. No change for linemen that are completely inside the tackle box. All other Team A players are allowed to block below the waist if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front. There are 3 exceptions:
a. Team A players may not block below the waist when the block occurs 5 yards or more beyond the neutral zone. This includes defensive players.
b. Players outside the tackle box at the snap, or any time after the snap, or in motion at the snap may not block below the waist toward the initial position of the ball at the snap.
c. Once the ball has left the tackle box, a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line.

7. Leaping - is a foul if a defensive player moves forward and tries to block a field goal or try by leaving his fee and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent. Key words are "moves forward." Doesn't have to make contact! You may remember a couple of years ago a player ran forward, timed it perfectly and jumped over the center to block a field goal. Great athletic play, but is illegal. It is NOT a foul if they are stationary within 1 yard of LOS when the ball was snapped. On scrimmage kicks, the players can't try to block a punt by leaving his feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.

8. Penalties for personal fouls and UNS fouls can be enforced on succeeding spot is the points are successful. In year's past, they had to decline the penalty to keep the points.

9. A 10-second runoff has been added on Replay reviews. Has to occur with less than 1 minute remaining in either half. You may never see this used. If it happens, I will explain it at that time. Either team may use a timeout to avoid the runoff.

10. Targeting - OMG. No rules were changed, but it it's close it will be called.

11. Rule used to say if Passer's hand or arm was moving forward and ball came loose, it was a pass. Now, it's just the hand.

Others, but these are most important.

Raw Frog

Wonder if there will ever be another punt, thanks to #1.

The fair catch is a big change, if you can call for a fair catch at the 1 yard line and bring it out to the 25.

Frog-in-law1995

Wonder if there will ever be another punt, thanks to #1.

The fair catch is a big change, if you can call for a fair catch at the 1 yard line and bring it out to the 25.

Doesn’t apply to punts. Where it will make a difference is on the pooch kickoff from midfield after a pentaly on the receiving team.

froginmn

I would like to post the "Major" rules changes for this year.

5. If a TD is scored during a down in which time in the 4th period expires, the TRY should not be attempted unless the points would affect the outcome of the game. However, the Coach still has the option. For example: the kicker may set a new school record if he kicks the extra point.
Or if the coach has money on the game and the point will cover the spread or the over under.

Amirite?

Bob Sugar

Or if the coach has money on the game and the point will cover the spread or the over under.

Amirite?
Pete+Rose+Pete+Rose+Out+Dinner+Beverly+Hills+WZkczc0DZwEl.jpg

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Hopefully, this thread will prove to be informative and educational. I hope you have a good time reading it. I checked with Wes before I started posting and he thought it would be great. I will try include some that everybody can get correct, and some "stumpers" on things you won't really know.
Now that I have posted a couple of scenarios and it looks like it's something you enjoy, I would like to post the "Major" rules changes for this year. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail on some of then, I just want you to be aware of them if and when it comes up in a game. You might even be able to impress your buddy sitting next to you be explaining it.

1. Knee pads must be covered by pants and must completely cover the knees. If they don't, the player will be sent to the sideline until it is corrected. There shouldn't be any more short pants like there has been in the past. He doesn't have to miss a play if the Coach takes a timeout and it gets corrected during that TO. T-shirts hanging down, etc. are included in this.
Captains can have a "C" on their jersey.

2. Big emphasis on teams making sure they have contrasting jerseys. You probably won't see any grey tops with grey numbers, even though they may have a border around the number.

3. After a TD, the play clock will go to 40 seconds. This means that the scoring team will need to be ready to get their team on the field for the TRY. Sometimes, Replay might take longer to verify the score. If the Replay Official takes a little long, the Referee can pump the clock back to 25 seconds. If the RO takes longer than that, chances are the play will be reviewed.
After a kickoff (Free Kick), the play clock will also start at 40 seconds. This should reduce the stalling of teams on the sideline. It takes the Referee out of having to make the ball ready.

4. Probably the biggest change is that if a Team B player makes a fair catch of a Free Kick behind their own 25-yard line, the ball will be placed at the 25. Data shows that kickoffs that aren't run back are safer, but team has the choice.

6. Major changes in blocking below the waist. No change for linemen that are completely inside the tackle box. All other Team A players are allowed to block below the waist if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front. There are 3 exceptions:
a. Team A players may not block below the waist when the block occurs 5 yards or more beyond the neutral zone. This includes defensive players.
b. Players outside the tackle box at the snap, or any time after the snap, or in motion at the snap may not block below the waist toward the initial position of the ball at the snap.
c. Once the ball has left the tackle box, a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line.

7. Leaping - is a foul if a defensive player moves forward and tries to block a field goal or try by leaving his fee and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent. Key words are "moves forward." Doesn't have to make contact! You may remember a couple of years ago a player ran forward, timed it perfectly and jumped over the center to block a field goal. Great athletic play, but is illegal. It is NOT a foul if they are stationary within 1 yard of LOS when the ball was snapped. On scrimmage kicks, the players can't try to block a punt by leaving his feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.

8. Penalties for personal fouls and UNS fouls can be enforced on succeeding spot is the points are successful. In year's past, they had to decline the penalty to keep the points.

9. A 10-second runoff has been added on Replay reviews. Has to occur with less than 1 minute remaining in either half. You may never see this used. If it happens, I will explain it at that time. Either team may use a timeout to avoid the runoff.

10. Targeting - OMG. No rules were changed, but it it's close it will be called.

11. Rule used to say if Passer's hand or arm was moving forward and ball came loose, it was a pass. Now, it's just the hand.

Others, but these are most important.
My head hurts.

Raw Frog

Doesn’t apply to punts. Where it will make a difference is on the pooch kickoff from midfield after a pentaly on the receiving team.

I was referring to the knee pads over the knees, in point number 1. Most punters wear pants that stop above their knees.
My second point was to the fair catches on the kickoffs, that you correctly point out as well...