• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
With the season fast approaching, I thought I would post a few questions to test rules knowledge. After a couple of days, I will then post the answer. Feel free to post your guesses. If F-I-L posts an answer, there is about a 95% chance he is correct.

Question No. 1
Team A has ball at B's 6 yard line. The game clock is stopped at 0:05. The game clock is then started on the Referee's signal. QB A15 quickly takes the snap and fakes a spike. He then throws a pass to A88 that is completed for a TD. The game clock expires during the down.
RULING:
A. Team A is penalized 15 yards for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (UNS) and the game is extended for an untimed down.
B. Legal Play

And the answer is....?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I can find nothing on NCAA site forbidding a fake spike. The thing I found was that as of 2013 you can’t spike the ball with under 3 seconds left.

BigPurple87

With the season fast approaching, I thought I would post a few questions to test rules knowledge. After a couple of days, I will then post the answer. Feel free to post your guesses. If F-I-L posts an answer, there is about a 95% chance he is correct.

Question No. 1
Team A has ball at B's 6 yard line. The game clock is stopped at 0:05. The game clock is then started on the Referee's signal. QB A15 quickly takes the snap and fakes a spike. He then throws a pass to A88 that is completed for a TD. The game clock expires during the down.
RULING:
A. Team A is penalized 15 yards for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (UNS) and the game is extended for an untimed down.
B. Legal Play
It's never illegal to do a fake spike at any point in college however it is illegal to do an actual fake spike under 3 seconds as of 2013

Zubaz

I am going to go not legal. I think it has to do with faking a spike when the clock is stopped.
But the clock is running in this scenario. It is running on the referees whistle, not the snap.

I know fake knees are illegal (or at least, render the play dead), but I was fairly sure the fake spike was legal. It's basically just a pump fake, isn't it?

pastorfrog

Question No. 1
RULING:
B. Legal Play

That’s an illegal play USC under Federation Rules. 15 from previous spot, untimed down.

froginmn

I'm going with legal play for two reasons:

1 while I think it's possible they added this rule about a fake spike, I haven't heard it.

2 I think if it were unsportsmanlike on the offense, they wouldn't add an untimed down.

Frog-in-law1995

At the risk of ruining the credibility I get from Zebra’s 95% comment, I’ll go with legal play. Can think of neither a specific rule making it illegal nor a justification for such a rule.

Question No. 1
RULING:
B. Legal Play

This is a LEGAL play.
Faking taking a knee kills the play but not a spike. It makes no difference if QB was in shotgun or under center. Makes no difference if clock was started on the snap or the ready. As for spiking it to kill the clock, IF the clock is stopped and will start on the referee's signal, if there are 3 or more seconds on the game clock, then it is reasonably possible for the QB to throw the ball to the ground to stop the clock for another play. If there are 2 seconds or less, there is enough time for only one play.

Question No. 2
As ball carrier A20 races downfield near the sideline, defender B56 grabs him from behind by the back of the jersey at the collar or by the collar of his shoulder pad. B56 continues with this contact for several yards but A20 does not go to the ground until tackled by another defender.
RULING:
a. Legal Play
b. B56 is penalized for a "horse collar" foul.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Question No. 2
As ball carrier A20 races downfield near the sideline, defender B56 grabs him from behind by the back of the jersey at the collar or by the collar of his shoulder pad. B56 continues with this contact for several yards but A20 does not go to the ground until tackled by another defender.
RULING:
a. Legal Play
b. B56 is penalized for a "horse collar" foul.

b

Zubaz

Yeah I'm gonna go with horsecollar on that. Just as you don't need to be tackled for it to be a facemask, I would think horsecollar operates on the same principle.