• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call

Question No. 9
Slot back A82 is attempting to block defensive back B28 on a short pass into the side zone. The block occurs after the pass is caught, and is 3 yards downfield and away from the original position of the ball. A82's block is directed from the side but he makes contact with the front of B28's knees.

RULING:
a. Legal Block since A82 made contact in front of B28.
b. Illegal Block since the block is not directed from the front.
c. Legal Block since the contact occurred within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.
d. Slot-back A82 is out of the tackle box and is prohibited from blocking below the waist.
ANSWER:
B. Key word this year is "directed."

nwlafrog

What about "Roid Ref"?
mike-defee-f0008eda-df64-4eb5-8fef-990e91c2f95b.jpg

That feeling when you hit triceps hard in the gym and you want everyone to know about it.

The following are play situations that you might see once the entire year. As opposed to posting them as questions, this shall be a teaching/learning post.

PLAY #1
3rd/Goal at the B-5. The score is A-17, B-21 late in the 4th quarter. A42 carries to near B's goal line and the LJ rules a TD with :03 showing on the clock. Replays show that A42's knee was down with the ball at the B-1 with :05 on the clock.

THOUGHT PROCESS
The ruling on the field (TD) gives us a STOPPED CLOCK.
Properly officiated (runner down in the field of play), we would have a RUNNING clock.
Since there is less than 1:00 in the half, STOPPED when it should have been RUNNING means the play is eligible for the ZAP 10 seconds.

RULING
Clock is returned to the time the ball was dead by rule (0:05) because Zap-10 is in play.
If neither team calls a time out, the GAME IS OVER.
If either team has a time out and wishes to use it, it will be 4th/Goal at the B-1 and the clock starts on the Snap

PLAY #2
3rd/2 at the B-5. The score is A-17, B-21 late in the 4th quarter. A42 carries to near B's goal line and the LJ rules TD with :03 showing on the clock. Replays show that A42's knee was down with the ball at the B-1 with :05 on the clock.

THOUGHT PROCESS
Properly officiated (down beyond the line-to-gain), we would still have a STOPPED clock.
Inside 1:00 in the half, but STOPPED when it should have STOPPED means it is NOT eligible for the ZAP-10

RULING
Clock is returned to the time ball was dead by rule (0:05) because the runner made the line-to-gain.
1st/Goal at the B-1. Clock starts on the READY
If either team has a time out and wishes to use it, it would start on the Snap.

Remember, the ZAP-10 doesn't come into effect unless there is less than 1 minute in the half.

Unfortunately, this will be the last post in this thread. Due to a number of factors, it has been determined that any kind of social media is now off limits. Should you have a question, either now or during the season, feel free to PM me. I will do my best to get you a quick answer. If something comes up in a game, chances are I didn't see it. Sorry. Based on my early schedule, it looks like I will get to see 2 games this year in person, Tech and OU. Can't wait.

Go Frogs!

Frog-in-law1995

The following are play situations that you might see once the entire year. As opposed to posting them as questions, this shall be a teaching/learning post.

PLAY #1
3rd/Goal at the B-5. The score is A-17, B-21 late in the 4th quarter. A42 carries to near B's goal line and the LJ rules a TD with :03 showing on the clock. Replays show that A42's knee was down with the ball at the B-1 with :05 on the clock.

THOUGHT PROCESS
Properly officiated (runner down in the field of play), we would have a RUNNING clock.
Since there is less than 1:00 in the half, STOPPED when it should have been RUNNING means the play is eligible for the ZAP 10 seconds.

RULING
Clock is returned to the time the ball was dead by rule (0:05) because Zap-10 is in play.
If neither team calls a time out, the GAME IS OVER.
If either team has a time out and wishes to use it, it will be 4th/Goal at the B-1 and the clock starts on the Snap

PLAY #2
3rd/2 at the B-5. The score is A-17, B-21 late in the 4th quarter. A42 carries to near B's goal line and the LJ rules TD with :03 showing on the clock. Replays show that A42's knee was down with the ball at the B-1 with :05 on the clock.

THOUGHT PROCESS
Properly officiated (down beyond the line-to-gain), we would still have a STOPPED clock.
Inside 1:00 in the half, but STOPPED when it should have STOPPED means it is NOT eligible for the ZAP-10

RULING
Clock is returned to the time ball was dead by rule (0:05) because the runner made the line-to-gain.
1st/Goal at the B-1. Clock starts on the READY
If either team has a time out and wishes to use it, it would start on the Snap.

Remember, the ZAP-10 doesn't come into effect unless there is less than 1 minute in the half.

Unfortunately, this will be the last post in this thread. Due to a number of factors, it has been determined that any kind of social media is now off limits. Should you have a question, either now or during the season, feel free to PM me. I will do my best to get you a quick answer. If something comes up in a game, chances are I didn't see it. Sorry. Based on my early schedule, it looks like I will get to see 2 games this year in person, Tech and OU. Can't wait.

Go Frogs!

Thanks, Zebra! Hope all is well.