• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call

Question No. 7 (FIL needs to pass on this one) It is a Replay question.

Team A has the ball first and 10 on the B-20. Flanker A88 moves up onto the line of scrimmage and "covers up" the tight end A80 making him ineligible. A80 goes downfield and catches a pass at the B-8 where he is tackled.

RULING:
Reviewable
Not Reviewable

ANSWER:
Not Reviewable A's ball, first and Goal on the B-8
This is one of those plays that does not fall under the category of "Reviewable Fouls."
However........it is possible, should a flag be dropped and the pass is touched close to being beyond or behind the neutral zone, you might have a situation where, with a Referee's announcement that goes like this: "There was no foul for an ineligible receiver downfield/pass interference due to ball being touched behind the neutral zone." The Referee/Replay can create a foul for ineligible receiver downfield or pass interference if replay determines the pass was touched beyond the neutral zone.
The best way to remember this is if there is no flag or no announcement, then replay can not get involved.
Also, in most conferences all the officials are wearing communication devices that allow them to talk to each other. It also allows the replay booth to communicate with them. Should there be no flag/no announcement in the above scenario, the booth can always remind the Referee to consider making an announcement as the touching is close. If he chooses to do so, replay can get involved. If he doesn't, replay is out of the play.

Frog-in-law1995

I suck at this.

First time Zebra did this (maybe on the other site, can’t remember) I missed every single question. Wasn’t even close to some of them (he wasn’t doing multiple-choice back then). So I got mad at myself and downloaded and printed off all 200+ pages of the NCAA rule book and read it several times. Made notes cross-referencing different sections and stuff, even. Really put a lot of time, and I was stunned at how little I knew of the rules...but I learned them pretty well. Of course it has helped when the “you make the call” thread rolls around every summer, but it’s also made games more fun to watch. Seems like every game now my wife tells me I need to go catch on with a HS crew and work my way up. I laugh, but secretly, I think that’d be fun as hell.

FIL is correct, Penalty Enforcement sucks.
I would suggest downloading a copy of the Instant Replay Case Book. It’s a much easier read and not as technical as the Rules book.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
First time Zebra did this (maybe on the other site, can’t remember) I missed every single question. Wasn’t even close to some of them (he wasn’t doing multiple-choice back then). So I got mad at myself and downloaded and printed off all 200+ pages of the NCAA rule book and read it several times. Made notes cross-referencing different sections and stuff, even. Really put a lot of time, and I was stunned at how little I knew of the rules...but I learned them pretty well. Of course it has helped when the “you make the call” thread rolls around every summer, but it’s also made games more fun to watch. Seems like every game now my wife tells me I need to go catch on with a HS crew and work my way up. I laugh, but secretly, I think that’d be fun as hell.
Hopefully you did this at your office.

Question No. 8
Punter 82 is 15 yds. behind the neutral zone when he catches the long snap, sprints to his right at an angle toward the lone of scrimmage, and runs outside the tackle box. He then stops and punts the ball well downfield, and is immediately hit by B89 and knocked to the ground.

RULING:
a. B89 has committed roughing the kicker. Penalty is 15 yards from the previous spot.
b. There is no foul for roughing.