• The KillerFrogs

You got to love MLB, Angels at Cinn to open season

bcsbuster

In your classic matchup, Josh and the Angels are traveling to meet their hated rivals to open the season. Highs are going to be in the 40's lows in the 20' the next three days in Cinny. I guess they were worried about the weather in LA.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
In your classic matchup, Josh and the Angels are traveling to meet their hated rivals to open the season. Highs are going to be in the 40's lows in the 20' the next three days in Cinny. I guess they were worried about the weather in LA.

It was Cincy's turn and Angels out of luck with Houston move. Some things are just the way it is and not planned by who has sunny weather

God Dog

Inter league play will be year round thanks to the Astros moving to the AL. We'll probably see baseball expand to 32 teams to be honest so as to have 16 per league.

I agree with the northern ballpark openings being a bad idea. The start of the season should focus on playing in southern ballparks. IIRC some northern team had like 10 of their first 20 games cancelled a few years back. MLB really needs to bring back double headers and shorten the season. Post season also runs too late into the calendar as well.

Cincinnati was the first professional baseball team. They have always opened the season at home. For years, the first pitch of the season in MLB was delivered in Cincinnati. One of those great baseball traditions that has fallen a bit by the wayside. I lived in Cincinnati in the mid 70s, when the Big Red Machine was winning championships. Opening day was quite a spectacle there.

tcujsauce

Cincinnati was the first professional baseball team. They have always opened the season at home. For years, the first pitch of the season in MLB was delivered in Cincinnati. One of those great baseball traditions that has fallen a bit by the wayside. I lived in Cincinnati in the mid 70s, when the Big Red Machine was winning championships. Opening day was quite a spectacle there.

Ron White does a good bit about Cincinnati chili... that's gotta count for something, right?

10 Key Frog

Exactly. Cincinnati always hosts a series for opening day. People up there camp out for over a week to get opening day tickets because Cincinnati also holds back a few thousand tickets to sell on game day to the public.

Also, what's really difference between a northern MLB team hosting a game this week vs next week? One week isn't going to make a huge difference. MLB can't have their teams play on the road all April on the chance it's cold up there. Same as they can't avoid the south for July because it might be over 100 degrees.

Heck if Rangers had played in Arlington rather than Houston for their opening series, tomorrow's game would have a high around 50 vs on Friday it'll be 70s. Even playing in the south you can't avoid cooler weather.

Each week after buying groceries at the IGA on Ludlow Ave., my wife and I would eat lunch at Skyline Chili at Clifton and Ludlow. I always ordered a 5 way, a cheese coney with onions, and a Pepsi (they didn't have Coke, only Pepsi (cue SNL reruns from that period)). At that time, there was Skyline, Empress, and Mt. Washington for authentic Cincinnati chili. Skyline was the best, in our opinion.

joejordan

Each week after buying groceries at the IGA on Ludlow Ave., my wife and I would eat lunch at Skyline Chili at Clifton and Ludlow. I always ordered a 5 way, a cheese coney with onions, and a Pepsi (they didn't have Coke, only Pepsi (cue SNL reruns from that period)). At that time, there was Skyline, Empress, and Mt. Washington for authentic Cincinnati chili. Skyline was the best, in our opinion.

You can find Skyline Cincy style chili mix at he sto, but I've never tasted it homemade that tastes like in a Skyline (pronounced ski-leen-ee, as a Cincy joke, btw).

Crunch, you've obviously spent some time in Cincinnati! We've tried the canned stuff from the store, and it's not bad, but my wife has a recipe that's better. It takes all day to cook it, and it includes chocolate (a key ingredient).

It used to be when the Bearcats were in town, there was an alumni event (I'm an alum) that featured Graeter's ice cream and Skyline chili, but I never attended one.

I do love that stuff!

joejordan

Crunch, you've obviously spent some time in Cincinnati! We've tried the canned stuff from the store, and it's not bad, but my wife has a recipe that's better. It takes all day to cook it, and it includes chocolate (a key ingredient).

It used to be when the Bearcats were in town, there was an alumni event (I'm an alum) that featured Graeter's ice cream and Skyline chili, but I never attended one.

I do love that stuff!

Yeah a couple of years toiling for big soap. Also, lived in Loovull for a couple years, and it's right upriver.

Strangest ice cream I've had is Tabasco flavored. Not an everyday choice, but interesting, and not bad.

PurpleBlood87

Nice try MLB novice. Cincinnati always opens the season at home.

ftwfrog

Nice try MLB novice. Cincinnati always opens the season at home.
Leave it alone, it's not worth it. I've learned in my older years, it takes a smart man to understand baseball. If someone dogs baseball, complains about how long the season is, complains about how boring it is, I usually feel sorry for them. It is America's great game.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Leave it alone, it's not worth it. I've learned in my older years, it takes a smart man to understand baseball. If someone dogs baseball, complains about how long the season is, complains about how boring it is, I usually feel sorry for them. It is America's great game.

In some of the games where they wear the throwback unis, the players should also leave their gloves in the field and have photographers crouching behind home plate. Now THAT would be a better throwback experience.

PurpleBlood87

Baseball is still the greatest American game to me. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. It's something to enjoy during the dog days of summer. It's a game designed the break your heart.

KCFrog

Try being a Rangers fan from the first season. At least the Royals have won a World Series title.

You've made the postseason 3 years in a row, no complaining from you. Sorry, your suffering hasn't been worse than what we've dealt with since 1986, and especially since '94.