• The KillerFrogs

You can’t win with thIs group of WRs

robbroyy

I say this after every loss but the current group of WRs except for Reagor wouldn’t win in the Mountain West.

Hunt just needs to come off the field and only throw it to Stephens if there’s no one around since he’s afraid of getting hit.

Recruiting wise, How many WRs are committed right now? And are they actual pass catchers or more 6-5 track guys that can’t catch

robbroyy

They are not helping the team. Is it coaching, schemes, or what?
I don’t think it’s scheme. I think it’s whatever technique their being taught on how to catch it. Hunt is usually wide open 2 or 3 times a game and the ball hits him in the chest just for him to drop it.

what was that pass to Reagor today that hit his hand and almost deflected all the way back to the line of scrimmage.

Does any stat service out there show the team leaders on drops? We have to lead the country by a wide margin.

tcumaniac

I don’t think it’s scheme. I think it’s whatever technique their being taught on how to catch it. Hunt is usually wide open 2 or 3 times a game and the ball hits him in the chest just for him to drop it.

what was that pass to Reagor today that hit his hand and almost deflected all the way back to the line of scrimmage.

Does any stat service out there show the team leaders on drops? We have to lead the country by a wide margin.

From earlier this week:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-rankings-receiving-corps-rankings-for-2019

The Frogs are last in the BigXII and #84 in the country. Next BigXII team is Kansas at #67.

per the article: “when looking outside of Reagor, the team ranks just 112th nationally in yards after the catch per reception and just 115th in contested catch percentage as they’ve struggled elsewhere."

Wexahu

They are not helping the team. Is it coaching, schemes, or what?

IMO it appears we’re trying to turn athletes into WRs. Very few natural route runners and catchers on the team. We’ve got a couple but some of those guys out there you can tell just fight the ball when it’s coming their way. Receivers should have the best hand eye coordination on the team, I’m not sure ours do.

Mean Purple

Watching SMU and Memphis helped reinforce how truly awful our receiver corps is. Their receivers are night and day better than ours, which is unacceptable.

We have a bunch of athletes that can’t run good routes and can’t catch the ball. We are in biggggg trouble next year with Reagor gone.
I don't see him coming out.

Mean Purple

We use to have a bunch of sure handed receivers. What happened?
Has to be coaching. These guys either have it when they get here, or don't develop. And then the ones that catch it are sent back to the bench and not seen again. Makes no sense. The team does keep stats. Play the ones who catch it, bench the ones who don't. And then go out and hire a rcvrs coach who has winning experience. Crazy that there are teams like SMU and Memphis and Cincy, etc. who have assistants that are better than ours.
TCU is not a training camp for coaches. If GP won't make changes, then he gets what he gets.

Mean Purple

IMO it appears we’re trying to turn athletes into WRs. Very few natural route runners and catchers on the team. We’ve got a couple but some of those guys out there you can tell just fight the ball when it’s coming their way. Receivers should have the best hand eye coordination on the team, I’m not sure ours do.
Seeing both the talent and size of rcvrs for Memphis was impressive. They could play circles around ours.

And it was cool to see a good passing game. Whether it is the OC or HC or whatever, whoever is the passing game coordinator for those schools does good work. Memphis looks like they could hang with anybody in the Big 12. Fast and Physical. Good size.

Wexahu

We had a D1 receiver step out of bounds 1 yard short of the line to gain on third down, with the defender 4 yards away from him.

I'd be mad if a guy did that in two hand touch.

Those are the guys that are so hard to win with, because they have such little awareness, feel for the game, or understanding of what it even takes to win. Can’t imagine being an offensive skill position player and not knowing exactly how far you need to get for the 1st on a 3rd down play. Almost impossible for a coach to game plan and strategize around ignorance.

Those are the guys that are so hard to win with, because they have such little awareness, feel for the game, or understanding of what it even takes to win. Can’t imagine being an offensive skill position player and not knowing exactly how far you need to get for the 1st on a 3rd down play. Almost impossible for a coach to game plan and strategize around ignorance.
That's all certainly true but when we see this year after year after year is it always that we recruit dumb receivers or that they lack proper coaching on these things? If we are truly recruiting all these receivers year after year who are incapable of awareness of these things (actually playing football), then why do the coaches keep recruiting these kind of receivers? At some point there has to be realization that the people coaching the receivers or the coaches evaluating and recruiting the receivers are the issue.

LVH

I would love Bart Johnson on this team.

Came into this thread to say that... we have no Bart Johnson or Ty Slanina. I know its racist to say we need a white receiver but the best offenses all have a white possesion receiver like Hunter Renfrow for Clemson last year