• The KillerFrogs

YOLO swag turned into YOLO swing in Lubbock

Zubaz

So they just lost one of their four stars and their only ESPN300 athlete, leaving us with one more of each. Can they still claim a better recruiting class than ours?

TechAdvisor

Todd D. said:
So they just lost one of their four stars and their only ESPN300 athlete, leaving us with one more of each. Can they still claim a better recruiting class than ours?
Still a lot of offseason left for both programs.  

rifram09

TechAdvisor said:
Tough to lose a 4* CB recruit, but in the end showing this level of discipline will strengthen the team.  
I used to believe that. But after watching what happened to TCU following the drug bust, this is more fiction than fact. If one of your athletes does something bad, there is a chain reaction over which you have little control.

First, the media blasts it everywhere. Then, the message boards take over and your opponents make the story 10 times worse than it ever truly was, and condemn the entire university. Then it's used on the recruiting trail for years.

None of that can be stopped by punishing or even removing the kid(s) responsible.

TechAdvisor

Rifram09 said:
I used to believe that. But after watching what happened to TCU following the drug bust, this is more fiction than fact. If one of your athletes does something bad, there is a chain reaction over which you have little control.

First, the media blasts it everywhere. Then, the message boards take over and your opponents make the story 10 times worse than it ever truly was, and condemn the entire university. Then it's used on the recruiting trail for years.

None of that can be stopped by punishing or even removing the kid(s) responsible.
Sadly, I think in some ways you're right, but what's the alternative?  

Just hope the girl recovers and Bethel can find a way to utilize his ability in a positive way after he's served whatever discipline he's due.   

Bill Bozeat

TechAdvisor said:
Really unfortunate situation.  According to eye witness accounts someone punched Bethel in the back of the head during a pick up basketball game and he turned around and swung back.  He ended up hitting Tech women's basketball player Amber Battle hard enough to put her in surgery.

Tough situation, but there is apparently video of the incident so I trust Kingsbury and staff to make the right decision.  He's shown an absolute zero tolerance policy so far so it doesn't surprise me that this kid is gone.  

Tough to lose a 4* CB recruit, but in the end showing this level of discipline will strengthen the team.  

You are so full of it.....video of a pickup game. Hope he doesn't spill the beans on how he decided to change from Miami to Lubbock   ...nothing like a Lubbock vacation

airTTU

Bill Bozeat said:

You are so full of it.....video of a pickup game. Hope he doesn't spill the beans on how he decided to change from Miami to Lubbock   ...nothing like a Lubbock vacation

No. Security video of the Rec Center, a building used by thousands of students. 

and why don't you just go ahead and hold your breath while you wait for any beans to be spilled

By the way, why don't you go work on your reading comprehension...at no time did he insinuate any video would say a different story

Purp

TechAdvisor said:
First thought that came to my mind as well.  Griner ended up receiving a 1 game suspension for breaking someones nose and Baylor "generously" added an additional 1 game suspension.  

That same year a Tech pitcher got a 3 game suspension for hitting a Baylor player with a pitch.  #Big12logic 
A 3 game suspension for a pitcher is like a 1 game suspension for every other player. Pitchers don't play every day so they suspend pitchers one time through the rotation.

Reptilian

airTTU said:

and why don't you just go ahead and hold your breath while you wait for any beans to be spilled

By the way, why don't you go work on your reading comprehension...at no time did he insinuate any video would say a different story
LOL at another tech fan that spends 24/7 on the interwebs fanboards giving life advise. According to that internet survey they now accept as the new bible, you would think they are so busy making mad money that they wouldn't have time to spend their life hating TCU on the internet.

BTW, if the real story is negative toward tech, tech fans will just make up another narrative contrary to the truth (ie being a chicken s and backing out of our 2 games 2010/2011.

The young man involved in this incident (Nigel Bethel III) was from Miami, Florida.

Imagine the culture shock involved in moving from the balmy beaches of Miami to a

desolate (censor) like Lubbock. Probably suffering from chronic despair.

NORMLFROG

Not gonna bag on Tech for this at all.  They took the appropriate action.  I hope the young lady is ok.  Kudos to Kliff on this one.  Not a time to take cheap shots(no pun intended....seriously)

NF

TechAdvisor

airTTU said:

Thanks for elaborating.  I assumed this was so obvious it didn't need explaining.  I was wrong.  

airTTU said:

If Tech is cheating to sign the 43rd best class in college football we're the worst cheaters in college sports history.

Purp said:
A 3 game suspension for a pitcher is like a 1 game suspension for every other player. Pitchers don't play every day so they suspend pitchers one time through the rotation.
Got that....I was talking more about the difference between being hit with a pitch and breaking someones nose with a punch. 

rifram09

TechAdvisor said:

If Tech is cheating to sign the 43rd best class in college football we're the worst cheaters in college sports history. 
Mmm. I bet TCU circa the mid-eighties would argue that. We were cheating then and got caught... And we didn't have squat to show for it. SMU's penalty was worse, but ours was the Walking Death Penalty.

NORMLFROG

Interesting to see over on Raiderpower that the new narrative is that at least Tech isn't TCU, OSU, Texas, etc.  High horses and glass houses and stuff.

NF

TechAdvisor

Rifram09 said:
Mmm. I bet TCU circa the mid-eighties would argue that. We were cheating then and got caught... And we didn't have squat to show for it. SMU's penalty was worse, but ours was the Walking Death Penalty.
Give it time.  We haven't seen the on-field results of Tech's hypothetical cheating yet.