• The KillerFrogs

Yogi Gallegos

HFrog1999

Marcus displayed what being a Frog was all about. He was a great asset to the program who could have been selfish and transferred for minutes. Marcus is the kind of guy Patterson recruits.

I completely agree. I think Marcus Jackson was a great asset to the program. His unselfish attitude really seemed to help the team and helped this program build during the years he was here.

BigEasyFrog

Every program loses 3rd stringers. Zach Eskridge is another example of someone who transferred-out. (I wrote this thinking the chart for next year is 1) Casey, 2) Brown, 3) Yogi)

I have so much respect for Marcus Jackson. I would be really pissed if Yogi was a top-notch 2nd string QB who was a glutton for minutes. Every team needs a great 2nd string QB (i.e. Ballard). Heaven forbid that Dalton goes down, I feel better knowing we have a highly recruited 2nd string QB than a walk-on who hasn't seen the field in 3 years.

Marcus displayed what being a Frog was all about. He was a great asset to the program who could have been selfish and transferred for minutes. Marcus is the kind of guy Patterson recruits.

Good luck, Yogi. Thanks for your years as a Frog!
Yes indeed.

People like Jackson are such great examples of leadership and heart even though they don't put up the stats to do it. He could've easily moped and developed an attitude problem when he wasn't named the starter his sophmore season when he and Dalton were in a fairly dead heat, especially when he had some limited successful playing experience and reason to develop somewhat of an ego compared to Dalton back then years and years ago. I think he certainly showed glimpses of possibly being a decent starting quarterback on a consistent basis. But I didn't read one inkling of him being bitter or feeling sorry for himself, just went about his business.

And he could've easily transferred those years which I would've certainly understood, but never once did I read about him seriously considering it.

It shouldn't take away from Gallegos' possible decision to transfer (which I highly doubt that you personally were insinuating, but just wanted to make that clear in general), if he wants to be a starter in college or beyond and thinks he has a better shot somewhere else, more power to him and he should take that opportunity.

Frogs97

He has enrolled at TAMU-Commerce next semester. I think the team is fully aware and he will finish up with TCU through the Rose Bowl.

I don't know the kid but he has been an asset to the program in many ways and is very well liked.

Very sad. There was a great moment with him after the SDSU game. My kids wanted to go on the field just for the opportunity to say something to the guys. They weren't pawing at the guys looking for something, just a chance to say "good game". He heard my youngest holler "good game" as he wad running to the tunnel, so he stopped and stepped over to him. He bent down, shook his hand and said thanks, and gave his wrist band and towel to the kids. Since they knew Kerley and Andy were gone after this year, Yogi became their instant favorite.

It was just a really small gesture, and I know those guys practically disrobe on their way into the tunnel. But, it spoke volumes to me (once again) about the character of the guys that are on this team, and Yogi, in particular.

Sad to see him go, but I wish him the very best.

angelo's frog

I am sad to see Yogi go as well. I have heard nothing but good things about him and wish him well wherever he goes. However, I sure wish he would reconsider and even switch positions if necessary. In the long run having a degree from TCU versus one from TAMU-Commerce is much more valuable.

FrogAbroad

I doubt there's ever been an athlete in any sport who is content to practice and not to play. It's the nature of competition, and personally I'd be a little dissatisfied with a player who didn't yearn for more playing time.

Most members of any football team realize college is very probably their last chance to play. Most are not going to the NFL unless they buy a ticket. That's not a knock, not a criticism, just reality.

If I were looking at my last couple of years to do something I love...

...yeah, I'd likely look for a transfer, too, so I'd have every chance I could get to be doing it.

I hope Yogi has a great career in Commerce.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
I think many here awarded CP the QB job as soon as he committed to TCU because he was offered by FLA and ND.

Can't speak for everyone, but Pachall is a stud and I was one who firmly expected him to replace Dalton, but it had nothing to do with ND or Fla offering.

VA Froggie

Can't speak for everyone, but Pachall is a stud and I was one who firmly expected him to replace Dalton, but it had nothing to do with ND or Fla offering.
Feisty in the New Mexico game Pachall looked very calm, very ready to run this program. He really looked good to me and gave me a very good feeling the future with him looked very bright. As this program continues to grow there will be lots of people ready to come in if needed which is the mark of a really great program. We are there.

Go Frogs...... :biggrin:

Froginexile

I did not know what to think of the Patterson field interview at the UNM game. I think he was pretty upset with his team and I think Yogi was one them. He stating that Pachall was the starter next year would have been upsetting to me if I was Yogi. If Patterson purposely wanted to make a statement about Yogi, it would be one of the times i disagreed with the coach. Even if Yogi did things to provoke a response, it does not help the program for the coach to call out backups.

I am thinking that he was upset with AD down, a little scared about the game, and just plain frustrated with the day. He screwed up, but we all have. I love GP as a coach, but he is not Bill Bellichek. He is more emotional and less conniving. So, i will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Still a growing experience for the program and GP.

staypurple12

Kids want to play...bottom line...and unless they see that they are not collegiate material to "start" they forgo sticking around and explore other options...that is their desire...to play. TCU has made a living the past decade recruiting QBs and switching them to other positions. Not all of them are going to take snaps at QB especially when you have someone on campus that is the man for 3-4 years.

Good luck to the young man....I hope he finds tremendous success

staypurple12

...and also....I respect someone who finds another program than sticks around bitter and pouting about not getting the opportunity to start...he obviously has more class than what you find in other programs (even HS....see this issue a lot). Good luck to him.

Patterson is going to put the horse in the race that has the best chance to win...it isn't personal

Lionfan

As an A&M-Commerce fan, I'm really excited about Yogi coming in to play for Guy Morriss.

I think there was more involved in his transfer than just football, but he's going to have his hands full getting the starting nod in Commerce too.

JJ Harp has transferred in from Eastern New Mexico and was in the running for the Harlon Hill (D2 Heisman) in '09 before sitting out this year because of transfer rules.

I've heard Yogi is a really good kid and a good leader. Who knows, should be interesting. Someone earlier mentioned Zack Eskridge, thats a good point. He transferred to Midwestern State and had a great career there, and is getting quite a bit of attention from the NFL now.

Congrats to you guys on the huge win the other night...hope you have a great '11!

BABYFACE

TCU is stacked at the QB position with a lot of young talent. TCU has Casey Pachall, Sam Carter and Matt Brown retruning with commits Trevone Boykin and Chatzen Gonzalez coming in. As much as I hate to see Yogi go, TCU is in very good shape at QB. TCU looks to be as deep and as talented at QB than they ever have been.

froginaustin

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1292516757' post='725780']
I am sad to see Yogi go as well. I have heard nothing but good things about him and wish him well wherever he goes. However, I sure wish he would reconsider and even switch positions if necessary. In the long run having a degree from TCU versus one from TAMU-Commerce is much more valuable.
[/quote]
In the short run it might matter. In the long run, probably not so much.

As to a degree's relative value, I doubt he'll be hurt much by a TAMU-Commerce degree instead of a TCU degree. Yogi's been on our campus long enough that he will likely be recognized as a "TCU person" by potential entry-level employers. After one gets that entry-level job, in my observation performance on the job is a lot more important than academic credentials.

If Yogi wants admission to a selective post-graduate program, then grades are usually more important than what school awarded the grades, within reason.

He should be fine at Commerce. Best of luck to Yogi.

LVfrog

I wish Yogi nothing but the best. The blood and sweat he has given TCU gives him a pass if he does decide to transfer.

An-Cap Frog

Very sad. There was a great moment with him after the SDSU game. My kids wanted to go on the field just for the opportunity to say something to the guys. They weren't pawing at the guys looking for something, just a chance to say "good game". He heard my youngest holler "good game" as he wad running to the tunnel, so he stopped and stepped over to him. He bent down, shook his hand and said thanks, and gave his wrist band and towel to the kids. Since they knew Kerley and Andy were gone after this year, Yogi became their instant favorite.

It was just a really small gesture, and I know those guys practically disrobe on their way into the tunnel. But, it spoke volumes to me (once again) about the character of the guys that are on this team, and Yogi, in particular.

Sad to see him go, but I wish him the very best.

Great story...made me tear up...

purpleshades

I hope this is nothing more than a rumor. I would like to see Gallegos finish his career at TCU.
Me to. Good kid and solid athlete.... I can't believe he isn't taking the Lutrell route. He should get a shot as a slot reciever or safety. He's a frog and deserves to earn his degree from TCU. Either way I wish him all the best!