• The KillerFrogs

Yogi Gallegos

BABYFACE

Yogi has taken much abuse just like this on this board. There must have been a reason our staff brought him in to replace AD just as often as CP was brought in. I think many here awarded CP the QB job as soon as he committed to TCU because he was offered by FLA and ND. I think our coaches saw qualities in Yogi they liked. I wish him well.

agree, good post

BigEasyFrog

I hear he may be leaving?

If so, pretty weak to not even try to compete with Pachall in the spring.
People transfer to different schools every year if they feel it'll be a better opportunity for themselves. You gotta look out for your best interests and be selfish to a degree in life, nothing wrong with what Gallegos is considering and definitely not "weak".

froginaustin

If he does decide to transfer, does it open up a scholarship for the 2011 or 2012 recruiting class?
Yes.

I understand that TCU is up against the 85-scholly limit, not the 25-per-year limit at least for 2011. So if anyone leaves, we could sign another new player in 2011 without reaching 25. And the hypothetical 2011 new player could hang around for 2012, or we could wait until 2012 to fill the roster spot (doubt we would, though).

ED:
I hope this is nothing more than a rumor. I would like to see Gallegos finish his career at TCU.

Me too.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If this is the case, then it is a shame. Yogi is a sparkplug, a fireball of energy. He has very quick feet and runs well. Too bad we never let him run the offense in garbage time, instead of simple dive-plays to kill the clock.

I wish him the best of luck whatever he decides, but I hope he stays with the TCU family.

JugbandFrog

I wish Yogi the best. He may have aspirations beyond just being in a winning program. If the young man wants to play quarterback then he should go and pursue that dream. We all appreciated Marcus Jackson, but he sacrificed a lot. As a man who had no talent or size, I practiced my tail off for the chances I got in high school to play. I will never forget those memories of playing time. I was glad to be on the JV squad as I was a starter every year up until my senior year. I do not have nearly as many memories of my senior year as I do of the other years. If I had the option to transfer so I knew I could play, well, I would think long and hard about that.

We were a playoff team and a successful team, but would have starting in 10 games been a greater experience? It is hard to say.

Whatever he decides, I wish him the best.

JugbandFrog

If this is the case, then it is a shame. Yogi is a sparkplug, a fireball of energy. He has very quick feet and runs well. Too bad we never let him run the offense in garbage time, instead of simple dive-plays to kill the clock.

I wish him the best of luck whatever he decides, but I hope he stays with the TCU family.
He didn't look so hot in the UNM game. IMJS.

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
Hate to hear this! A few years of football is nothing compared to the degree, relationships & memories he will have from TCU. I have seen others do this and regret it.

Unless you are pro football material, a guaranteed scholarship to finish at TCU is worth a ton more than a few more years of football. JMO

Hope he stays!

P

PurpleDaze

So why would they give 2 people at the same position scholarships in a year? You can't have 2 starting QBs.

It's called competition ... Years ago Tennessee recruited Peyton Manning and Brandon Stewart. Manning eventually won the starting position and Stewart transferred to A&M.

You recruit two stud QB's and let them battle for the starting position knowing that the loser will probably transfer, but should he decide to stay, then you have a quality back-up.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
I hope this is nothing more than a rumor. I would like to see Gallegos finish his career at TCU.

He has enrolled at TAMU-Commerce next semester. I think the team is fully aware and he will finish up with TCU through the Rose Bowl.

I don't know the kid but he has been an asset to the program in many ways and is very well liked.

HFrog1999

Hate to hear this! A few years of football is nothing compared to the degree, relationships & memories he will have from TCU. I have seen others do this and regret it.

Unless you are pro football material, a guaranteed scholarship to finish at TCU is worth a ton more than a few more years of football. JMO

Hope he stays!

I completely agree. Unless you need to transfer for a shot at the pros, it seems like a better idea to stick around and take advantage of the free education at TCU.

P

PurpleDaze

I completely agree. Unless you need to transfer for a shot at the pros, it seems like a better idea to stick around and take advantage of the free education at TCU.

Not saying that this is the case in Yog's situation, but sometimes it is better for a kid to transfer rather than staying with a poor attitude because of a lack of playing time.
In these situtations, I've seen may kids become a cancer and a detriment to the team. They would be happier somewhere else and it opens up a scholarship for someone else.

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
He has enrolled at TAMU-Commerce next semester. I think the team is fully aware and he will finish up with TCU through the Rose Bowl.

I don't know the kid but he has been an asset to the program in many ways and is very well liked.

Great kid & wish him the best of luck.

However, NOT IN A MILLION YEARS would i throw away a degree from TCU to play football at TAMU.

HFrog1999

I'm sad to see him go. I wish him the best of luck at his new school.

Ray Finkle

Every program loses 3rd stringers. Zach Eskridge is another example of someone who transferred-out. (I wrote this thinking the chart for next year is 1) Casey, 2) Brown, 3) Yogi)

I have so much respect for Marcus Jackson. I would be really pissed if Yogi was a top-notch 2nd string QB who was a glutton for minutes. Every team needs a great 2nd string QB (i.e. Ballard). Heaven forbid that Dalton goes down, I feel better knowing we have a highly recruited 2nd string QB than a walk-on who hasn't seen the field in 3 years.

Marcus displayed what being a Frog was all about. He was a great asset to the program who could have been selfish and transferred for minutes. Marcus is the kind of guy Patterson recruits.

Good luck, Yogi. Thanks for your years as a Frog!