• The KillerFrogs

Yogi Gallegos

When we signed Yogi, he was a state top 100 qb, at least according to some media sources- one of only a handful that we signed in '08... I don't know who else offered him, but we were high on him at the time... His cousin, Elvis, was a standout safety, so he is entrenched in the Frog family...

I would love for him to stay and possibly change positions- he could do a Luttrell and play defense or possession receiver...

gdu

When we signed Yogi, he was a state top 100 qb, at least according to some media sources- one of only a handful that we signed in '08... I don't know who else offered him, but we were high on him at the time... His cousin, Elvis, was a standout safety, so he is entrenched in the Frog family...

I would love for him to stay and possibly change positions- he could do a Luttrell and play defense or possession receiver...
I didn't realize he was Elvis' cousin. Elivs was a good guy.

Trelvis

The crazy thing about this is, every time I would do a dynasty on NCAA with TCU, Yogi would always transfer after the first year. Every time. I wish him the best.

LVfrog

i wish him well if he indeed transfers. I can't understand some people taking shots at Yogi because he gave all he had while he was here.

FROGDADDY

So why would they give 2 people at the same position scholarships in a year? You can't have 2 starting QBs.

I would hope that they signed both of them because they think that both are good enough to start, not sign one to start and the other simply to be the back-up. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying, but I hope that our staff didn't see Yogi play in HS and say "that kid is gonna be a good back-up QB, let's sign him".

jake102

One year at Blinn would be good for him. Give the family some time to set up a pay-for-play campaign. Since we know these are legal now, no reason to not do it. I wish him the best and hopefully his family gets a nice contract.

On another note, I don't see the issue if he leaves. He would be 3rd string next year.... Two quarterbacks is more than enough. If you have to go to a 3rd string, it's all but over anyways.

gdu

I would hope that they signed both of them because they think that both are good enough to start, not sign one to start and the other simply to be the back-up. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying, but I hope that our staff didn't see Yogi play in HS and say "that kid is gonna be a good back-up QB, let's sign him".
Hard to explain in an internet forum, but I think some kids are signed that are "good enough to start" but the staff may plan on other starters during their period of eligiblity. You try not to have any misses, but I think the staff has expectations about who is more likely to step up and be the starter when there are multiple good players at any position.

neutral observer

Nothing wrong with him transferring if he knows he isn't going to get any play time. He has enjoyed the TCU experience. Maybe he can transfer to a Lone Star Conference or Southland Conference school and play next year. With Pachall the heir apparent, Matt Brown right behind Yogi, and a couple of very good incoming freshman in 2011 it's hard for me to criticize Yogi if he decides to transfer.

If that is what he decides, then I wish him well.

Agree! Sorry to see him go but I wish him well! (if true)

FROGDADDY

Hard to explain in an internet forum, but I think some kids are signed that are "good enough to start" but the staff may plan on other starters during their period of eligiblity. You try not to have any misses, but I think the staff has expectations about who is more likely to step up and be the starter when there are multiple good players at any position.

I see what you're saying. That would likely arise from a situation where you missed on your top several targets at that position during the recruiting process and were forced to settle for someone who was "good enough" as opposed to someone who was "good". I'm sure that happens at times.

gdu

I see what you're saying. That would likely arise from a situation where you missed on your top several targets at that position during the recruiting process and were forced to settle for someone who was "good enough" as opposed to someone who was "good". I'm sure that happens at times.
Sounds like it is happening even less than it used to. Exciting time to be a Frog in all aspects.

joefrog91

I was really hoping he would start next year. I think he had the tools to be a good QB. But, if the other guys coming in are as good as everyone says they are, it may have been too hard of a task. I hope whatever he decides to do works out for him.

rynosdad

It is no different here at TCU than it is at Auburn, Oregon, or Name It U. Twenty two starters (not counting special teams) and the rest are back ups. Its hard to keep quality depth behind quality starters when a kid sees opportunity elsewhere. Wish the ones that leave well and appreciate the ones that stay and contribute to the team. I beleve our coaching staff has done very well in that regard.

purpleshades

Nothing wrong with him transferring if he knows he isn't going to get any play time. He has enjoyed the TCU experience. Maybe he can transfer to a Lone Star Conference or Southland Conference school and play next year. With Pachall the heir apparent, Matt Brown right behind Yogi, and a couple of very good incoming freshman in 2011 it’s hard for me to criticize Yogi if he decides to transfer.

If that is what he decides, then I wish him well.
+1

West Coast Johnny

He may have had a talk with coach. Yogi transferring is a win / win for him and TCU. He'll get a chance to play football somewhere. We'll get a scholly back.