• The KillerFrogs

Yahoo! Sports: Everything Brent Venables had to say following Oklahoma’s loss to TCU

Limey Frog

I guess we want the Sooners to win out. Beat UT, et.al. - it strengthens our schedule.

Then the rest is up to us.

It doesn't matter what anyone else does if we win our games. I wouldn't start thinking about playoff implications just because we boat-raced the worst Oklahoma team in 25 years. We've got a good team. Time will tell how good. If we're good enough to be in the playoff, we'll be in the playoff.

Last edited:

Toad Jones

How much does OU owe Venables? They would have to take care of that before attempting to money-whip Sonny. And, Sonny is no dummy: I'm not entirely certain what the TCU Contract stips are, but they won't be broken cheaply, so OU would be looking at that expense, too, in addition to the gargantuan sum his agent would lay out before them. The other thing is, Sonny has a little of that "I'm in a pretty good spot right here" thing going on right now. Why would he leave a place he is (currently) adored, for someplace which just tied their brand new coach to a post and burned him alive? And who is heading to the SEC with a bare cupboard? OU has a tough sell if that is what they are thinking...

A&M might be getting off easy with Jimbo, comparatively.

As to the Aggie derlemon, oh, how fun it is to watch them writhe in consternation! Somewhere (most likely on a golf course), Kevin Sumlin is roaring with laughter...
Knew the Dykes when they resided in Midland. I know you're referring to
Sonny but Spike did not raise his kids with that mentally. Beside Dykes is having soo much fun now compared to positions he had in the past. He's absolutely ROLLIN' with the team and his staff and a recruiting class that is to die for with loaded talent. It's his assistants you should concern yourself with. Sonny lost one coach to the NFL this year already.

Chieves

Knew the Dykes when they resided in Midland. I know you're referring to
Sonny but Spike did not raise his kids with that mentally. Beside Dykes is having soo much fun now compared to positions he had in the past. He's absolutely ROLLIN' with the team and his staff and a recruiting class that is to die for with loaded talent. It's his assistants you should concern yourself with. Sonny lost one coach to the NFL this year already.
Something we never really have had to experience in the past 20 years- good assistants get opportunities. It's the ones that stay put for decades that are the ones you should be concerned with.

froginaustin

Something we never really have had to experience in the past 20 years- good assistants get opportunities. It's the ones that stay put for decades that are the ones you should be concerned with.

Coach DKR at UTx had assistants that stayed with him for his entire stay at UTx. They helped him win and win and win. Until they didn't, and then they helped him retire.

CountryFrog

It doesn't matter what anyone else does if we win our games. I wouldn't start thinking about playoff implications just because we boat-raced the worst Oklahoma team in 25 years. We've got a good team. Time will tell how good. If we're good enough to be in the playoff, we'll be in the playoff.
So were you saying that this was the worst Oklahoma team in 25 years before Saturdays game? Or is that only based on the one game against TCU?

It's always comical to me how we all talk up how tough it's going to be to beat so many teams, then after we do beat them we just talk about how much they actually sucked and it doesn't mean anything. I have no doubt if we do the same thing to Kansas next week then the talk will immediately go from "Kansas is for real" to "We still haven't played anyone all year."

BleedNPurple

And you know, you know you know and then again a guy falls down and you know but then again you know. Venables blubbering lost like his team.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Man, if I were a coach I think I'd want to stay away from the cesspool that is Aggie boosters.

On the other hand, the instantaneous guaranteed generational wealth that you could easily con them into giving you would be sorely tempting...

Kevin Sumlin disagrees with this, despite his $10MM buyout being chump change compared to Jimbo.

Limp Lizard

So were you saying that this was the worst Oklahoma team in 25 years before Saturdays game? Or is that only based on the one game against TCU?

It's always comical to me how we all talk up how tough it's going to be to beat so many teams, then after we do beat them we just talk about how much they actually sucked and it doesn't mean anything. I have no doubt if we do the same thing to Kansas next week then the talk will immediately go from "Kansas is for real" to "We still haven't played anyone all year."
The logic is simple if you start with one given: TCU is not really that good and will never be very good.

Frogs lose, because of the given.

Frogs win close one, a fluke, the other team was looking ahead, etc., because of the given.

Frogs beat poor team who must have been really poor because.... you know the drill.

Frogs beat ranked team by a lot. Ranked team was vastly overrated due to the given. Best example was 2010 when TCU beat #5 Utah at Utah. Lots of Utah was overrated in the press. Lots of love for Boise. Lots of crow eating after the Rose Bowl.

One given, then answers for every outcome naturally follow.

Toad Jones

No, I think they were anxious to play TCU. BUT with in first two sets TCU indicated they wanted to prove something too. As the game wore on, the boys who wear purple, enjoyed more success than O darlin' U. I believe it hit the boys from Norman right smack dab in their gut and because of their record, their confidence flew out of their young bodies just like a cold north wind.. Remember these are -19-20-21 year old kids and confidence is hard to come by at that age! So I say again, if I could get into TCU's locker room, I'd plaster that puppy with more signs of CONFIDENCE all over the place. It's a simple reminder of what you can do when you play with confidence. Normally you win. This also applies in the work place of today and man this whole world could use some confidence that things will get better with attitude and confidence.

ticketfrog123

Did anyone really talk up OU as conference title contenders this year? Media certainly didn’t - favorites were Baylor and Oklahoma state

OU probably won’t have a winning record in conference this year - beating an OU team headed for 7-5 doesn’t have the same feel as 2014…not a knock just is what it is

82 Frog Fever

The burners under Venables seat are going up rapidly leading up to UT.

TCU’s offensive production was a major slap in the face and now Venables is being grilled on his DC choice.
Did you know the man Venables chose to be his DC, Ted Roof, is on his 6th school in 6 years?
OU is currently ranked 109th in total Defense.

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

The burners under Venables seat are going up rapidly leading up to UT.

TCU’s offensive production was a major slap in the face and now Venables is being grilled on his DC choice.
Did you know the man Venables chose to be his DC, Ted Roof, is on his 6th school in 6 years?
Allegedly ted roof was a groomsman in Venables wedding

Ted roof might be staying at the red roof inn pretty soon

CountryFrog

Did anyone really talk up OU as conference title contenders this year? Media certainly didn’t - favorites were Baylor and Oklahoma state

OU probably won’t have a winning record in conference this year - beating an OU team headed for 7-5 doesn’t have the same feel as 2014…not a knock just is what it is
Can't speak to preseason hype because that's not something I follow or give a [ Finebaum ] about unless it involves TCU. But your point seems irrelevant here because I'm not on here arguing that we just beat the best team in the Big 12. I'm simply pushing back on the idea that they're awful and beating them by 31 is no accomplishment at all. I'm pretty sure that no one had the Frogs being 4 scores better than Oklahoma before mid-second quarter on Saturday but now all of a sudden you've got people coming out of the woodwork acting as if Saturday was no big deal, we still haven't played anyone with a pulse, our DL still sucks because they don't get enough pressure, blah, blah, blah.

Some of you are just allergic to enjoyment and addicted to pessimism and complaining. The idea that we could totally obliterate Oklahoma and immediately after have people saying "no big deal" is fairly amazing to me.